600w 400v bulb on a 240v ballast?

johnboyjoe

opinions please, personally i would have thought maybe a loss in lumens or more stress on the bulb as there would be more amps being put through it than expected?

TIA.

Apart from fire risk I always thought a different wattage ballast to bulb the bulb wouldn't be putting out anything like it was designed to running it on different power, so yes it may give light but not the optimum light it was meant for

:bong:

• Like 1

thanks for the replies, guys.

i picked one up by mistake at the local shop and took it back to be replaced, the guy said it would be fine, knows people that do it already, can even run it at 1000w which kind of surprised me. was thinking that's well dodge to maself.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, johnboyjoe said:

thanks for the replies, guys.

i picked one up by mistake at the local shop and took it back to be replaced, the guy said it would be fine, knows people that do it already

For real? What kind of ballast is it ?

• Like 1

The bulb needs 400v to get the temperature to give you the enhanced spectrum.  I'd be giving  that shop a wide berth. What is the make of the ballast and model?

• Like 2

problem is it's only place local to me now, unless i order stuff online.

luckily i do have some electronic/electrical background which made me question what he had said. i currently run Omega digi pro 600w ballasts, have done for years but thinking of updating things now after a little reading about the 400v systems available nowadays. either that or invest in some LEDs but they're kind of expensive at the moment for a decent setup.