Light safety

Eldo

Hi uk420

Probably a stupid question but that's never stopped me before lol

Currently running a lumatek attis 200w which I feel pretty confident in using even 24 hrs a day

Also have a dimmable 600w HP's 600/400/250w. I'm thinking of during these colder months switching to the hps and running autos as a way to cut back on the heating needed

Just not sure how happy I'd be running an older style light for 18+ hours a day tho....would this be a fire risk?

TIA

• Like 1

I think with proper extraction, care and attention it would be fine. 

By care and attention i mean making sure all electrical connections are safe and working fine and not in dangerous positions on the floor, near potential water hazards.

Also if you are doing it to save electricity i would do some sums and compare the two ways of growing. Autos imo use more energy.

:yinyang:

• Like 6

Following on from Lildaveham: apparently they are roughly the same. Something like 1400 hours light time. With autos you are forgoing the lights off periods but it still takes about the same energy to finish.

Edited by catweazle1
  • Like 2

@lildaveham & @catweazle1 cheers guys appreciate the replays.

Providing I can do it safely I'll look into the sums some more. Don't really want to do autos but don't want to spend more on heating the thing than lighting it. 

Pretty much keeping a 80w tube heater on 24/7 currently which is keeping temps to a decent level but temps ain't even dropped much imagine I'll have to triple that in which case I'm thinking 400w HP's may cost about the same and possibly harvest more

I'm doing 1 more led run before for Jan/Feb months mainly.....or you think heating root zone alone and keeping led?

• Like 1

I went out and bought a switch that turns off the lights if the fans stops working . But I also use heat mats with a temp probe, I have not found led to be off limits during winter because the roots are warm . Whole different ball game if they was cold.

I also run an electric heater that flick on and off before intake should I need it. 

Edited by MonkeyBlazed
  • Like 2

I used to run hid 18hrs for veg and never more than a lamp or starter(mag ballast) fail , had cheap led chips burn out ,No fire thankfully:yinyang:

• Like 1

They're perfectly fine running 18 hours, 24 hours too tbf. A lot of factories used to use them and they were on permanently. I use them in my veg tent for 18 hours...have done for a couple of decades, never had any bother.

• Like 1