Heating cable trial for winter temp control.

RUFUS HOUND

Alright peeps, Im setting up my new 120x60xa50cm tent for winter this year and what with the lecky prices,  Its only sensible to use as little as possibl3.

Ive got my little oil rad as back up but the hope is a heating cable is the way forward. 

so I bought a 6m 90W heating cable, unfortunately I didnt quite know what I was buying and got one with frost protection bugger :wallbash:  ive cut the frost "switch" off the end and bought a pack of solder sleeves to join the wires and seal it all up

Express Electrical - Heat Shrink Solder Sleeves

• Like 3

Is this for laying in a sand floor or wrapping around the pots? Where are you putting the cable? Any way of cutting costs would be nice to know, thanks mate :yep: 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RUFUS HOUND said:

6m 90W heating cable

fine for pot temps/roots, but you'll need something for the air temps

i used a 300 watt duct heater, but that's in a 1.2x1.2x2.2

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gaijin said:

Is this for laying in a sand floor or wrapping around the pots? Where are you putting the cable? Any way of cutting costs would be nice to know, thanks mate :yep: 

yep, its for burying in sand - google heated sand bed.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ratdog said:

I have an oil rad as back up if needed 

Edited by RUFUS HOUND
  • Like 1

@Gaijin to answer your question - you basically fill an insulated box with a layer of sharp sand, snake the cable back and forth on the surface and then cover that with more sand, any run off should keep the sand damp and help with the heat transfer/storage, the heating cable will be attached to my inkbird 308 with its probe in the sand or in a pot (not decided yet )

Helpfully my tent has a fabric tray made from one piece of  tent material - which means it should contain any run off and its all absorbed by the sand. 

I will try get it et up in the coming days, Im a bit all over the place as also converting the loft into a "room in roof " so its difficult to move about currently.

I have a pile of sharp sand at the ready, the tent made up just need to transfer my fan/ filter set up and my lights over and get it up to temp.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, ratdog said:

do you have a link to your duct heater , just for future reference  

• Like 2

@MonkeyBlazed Did think about it but then I noticed its tray made from a single sheet with no seams, so totally water proof unless I puncture it lol plus I need a good 3 to 4 inch depth for the sand 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Military Grade said:

For pots I see you can get brewing heated belts on the Big River lol

even get round ones that the demijohn/pot sit strait on but proper heat mats are cheaper 

Ive soldered and heat shrinked the heating cable where I removed the frost stat, it turned out quite neat job and more importantly it works lol 

large.635998c527893_HEATSHRINK.jpg

• Like 2

Don't rely on the fabric tray that comes with yer tent bro , the mylar will blister under damp conditions and cease to be watertight in around a year , you'd be better off just stumping for a Titan tray from the outset.

A mate who runs in an outbuilding wraps his fab pots with soil warming cables, reckons its more effective than the traditional sand bed tech because it adds a little air heat too.

:yinyang:

• Like 1