Blumat flooded tent/pot. Plants fucked or worth saving?

Tsoi

week 6 / 44 days after flip to 12/12

So long story short I flooded one plant with a blumat, 1 triangle difference is the difference between no water at all and completely flooding the whole tent. :wallbash:

Anyway this is the second time this has happened to the same pot (same blumat) . The leaves were drooping from underwatering so I carefully put one triangle on. It was dripping slowly and so I thought I was in the clear this time.

The first time this happened the other plants did not seem to give a shit at all about them sitting in a couple inches of runoff water and neither did the 2 cheese plants in the pot that flooded.

This time I fucked it again. Other plants again sitting in a couple inches of water and seem to be healthier than the last time i saw then lol however the cheeses have a hard time as now their leaves are curling in random directions, each tip of the fan leaf going in different directions. tbf tho, its not the whole plant, only a few leaves.

I did this exact same thing, albeit hand watering on my first grow after underwatering then dumping water on my old plants and they gave the same leaf curling and both hermed shortly after.

Safe to say therye most likely gonna herm, or should I cut them only when i see balls appearing? Theyre only taking up like 20-25% of the canopy, so while ill be pissed, its better than the rest of the tent getting seeded.

Hi @Tsoi

Firstly i would ask what's your medium and if you had setup the blumats correctly.

Don't take that the wrong way but i see a lot of setup mistakes when folks use blumats and also they don't suit some growing methods.

Reasons that you may get a runaway are 

1. Air in the carrot. The carrot needs to be completely purged of air that includes the top bit that has the valve. The best way i have found is to use a bucket/bowl of boiled and cooled water then submerge the top and use a pipette to shoot water into the cap that will dispel any air bubbles.

2. Bad contact with the medium. The carrot need to be in full contact with the medium otherwise the clay carrot will release more water into the void between it and the medium. This in turn will mean that the valve that stops the water dripping will be constantly open and will dump all the water in that pot. 

3. Incorrect moisture setting. The medium need to be watered to saturation before adding the carrots to the pot, this ensures that when the medium dries out a little the water valve will release and the drips bring the moisture level back to what it was originally and then creates pressure to shut off the valve. 

4. Medium. Generally the blumat carrots are for use in a living soil bed or a compost. There have been folks here that have tried them with coco and they just don't work well with runaways happening frequently.

Not sure if any of that will help your situation and without pics i cant comment on whether its worth keeping the plants. 

Hopefully some of the above will be useful.

:smokin:

Edited by lildaveham
  • Like 8

Just now, lildaveham said:

Hi @Tsoi

Firstly i would ask what's your medium and if you had setup the blumats correctly.

Don't take that the wrong way but i see a lot of setup mistakes when folks use blumats and also they don't suit some growing methods.

1. Air in the carrot. The carrot needs to be completely purged of air that includes the top bit that has the valve. The best way i have found is to use a bucket/bowl of boiled and cooled water then submerge the top and use a pipette to shoot water into the cap that will dispel any air bubbles.

2. Bad contact with the medium. The carrot need to be in full contact with the medium otherwise the clay carrot will release more water into the void between it and the medium. This in turn will mean that the valve that stops the water dripping will be constantly open and will dump all the water in that pot. 

3. Incorrect moisture setting. The medium need to be watered to saturation before adding the carrots to the pot, this ensures that when the medium dries out a little the water valve will release and the drips bring the moisture level back to what it was originally and then creates pressure to shut off the valve. 

4. Medium. Generally the blumat carrots are for use in a living soil bed or a compost. There have been folks here that have tried them with coco and they just don't work well with runaways happening frequently.

Not sure if any of that will help your situation and without pics i cant comment on whether its worth keeping the plants. 

75% coco 25% soil. probably gonna use drippers on timers next time but had to make do for now. Yep, will now try to submerge it and see if it fixes the issue, but not sure whether to bother as i dont wanna risk flooding my tent overnight and ive only got a month left.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, lildaveham said:

Hi @Tsoi

Theres also now this weird browning on the leaves? almost looks like mold but the leaves are completely dry??? not sure what it could be as ive never seen it before.

Edited by lildaveham
Please upload pics to your gallery we don’t allow offsite pic links. Cheers

i also tried blumates, hated them, lots of floods and generally a pita.

i did all the purging etc but still had issues, lots of them....and i dont have a lot of patience.

i know some people can get them to work, but they are hardly user friendly imho.

i went seconds timer in coco, run off a pump in the end

• Like 2