Results of Aging Pressed Bubblehash

Translator

Long time no post.

My last activity here was the thread "Hashinene?" and how beta-myrcene with proper care converts into the terpene hashinene.

Due the health issues, I have not been able to do much this year, but I was able to finish the ball of hash I made from the trim of the last grow.

9.5 grams of 159-74μm (Everything that passed the 160μm bag, but stayed in the 73μm bag. A 45μm bag would probably have been beneficial, since about 4 grams ended up in the 25μm bag. Some of that would have been saved by the 45μm bag)

Forgot some pictures at the press stage.

large.IMG_4268.JPG.65454e5f38a8fb8f643b4

large.IMG_4270.JPG.1be232cd0c145923648f8

As a start, I just placed a big pot of almost boiling water ontop and let the weight of the pot do most of the work. (It's barely visible, but there is a layer of cellophane both below and above the resin)

large.IMG_4272.JPG.cd2b3ea033cb7d43fa676

large.IMG_4274.JPG.87f2a6f5201b70fdf9458

large.IMG_4275.JPG.e4f90f76f084bbdc62821

large.IMG_4276.JPG.904476f879d8d949f4d73

large.IMG_4279.JPG.1d86dc1c8420cabfebda7

Here I'm starting to run into some issues, the resin refuses to press! Why? Not sure. If I could go back in time and change something, I would have tripled up the layers of cellophane and went at it with a hammer.

large.IMG_4281.JPG.312838600fe05e6a50df9

large.IMG_4282.JPG.120ac4a7033ac0c0a2781

large.IMG_4287.JPG.b62abf48bb29defbf65fe

large.IMG_4288.JPG.170a9baf85598c9c5fe1f

About an hour and a half into it, I gave up. It was not improving anymore. The resin heads were rockhard, again, a hammer would probably have helped a lot.

large.IMG_4289.JPG.629473e96f052aeeef005

Rolled into the nicest ball I could. At room temperature the ball was rock hard, think stone marble ball but ligther.

large.IMG_4295.JPG.4e917c6d50bd4df8f7c34

About 3 months into the aging, I removed the ball from the cellophane to give it a quick smell and to roll it even tighter. Already here it's much softer and smell had improved dramatically. No pictures from this though.

And here is the results after 6 months of aging. Looks and smell nothing like the starting material.

large.IMG_4471.JPG.4613edab8405f1bec04af

The ball went from rock hard to being soft enough to squish between two fingers. Here I just used my thumbnail four times to drag away some material to show the inside.

large.IMG_4477.JPG.3e60c09e1cd9b79e333e3

Best close up picture I could get with the old camera I have. It's easier to see with a loupe, but there are a lot of intact trichome heads.

large.IMG_4477CU.jpg.5d6f1d2d23f2cd95adf

Plenty room to improve, but considering how many of the heads that are still intact, I'm very happy with the results.

• Like 11

That looks like some really nice stuff you've made there :D 

I'd struggle to keep my paws off it for the 6 months though lol

Hope you're keeping as well as can be.

Atb

:yinyang:

• Like 1

I had/have a similar situation, where my pressed ball was initially very hard, much more so than I expected it to be. I've left it now for over three months, and it has changed quite drastically. It's smoothed itself out, in simple terms, and is now super malleable (just squeeze gently between thumb and forefinger). It also smells delightful, really earthy, spicy and delicious. Ageing really does do something. From what little I understand, there is acidity in the resin itself which over time begins to 'eat' any impurities within. Or something to that effect.

• Like 1

how long should i leave hash to age for guys? 

also i was going to bang it in the freezer to do so but im gathering that you should give it a bit of heat, correct? 

5 hours ago, Shumroom said:

That looks like some really nice stuff you've made there :D 

I'd struggle to keep my paws off it for the 6 months though lol

Hope you're keeping as well as can be.

Atb

:yinyang:

The trick is the aging, and I think that's the main reason why some people think it destroys the resin. A newly made ball is not very flavourful or even smelly for that matter, it's a weird mix of dulled hash and some cannabis mixed in. But once aged, the hashinene smell will slap you in the face. This process will destroy the typical cannabis smell and flavours though, in exchange for a predominantly hash/hashinene profile. It all depends what you want from it, if you prefer more typical cannabis terpenes, this is not the method for you.

Been thinking about this and my previous thread over the past few months, and I'm not so sure photo-oxidation is that important anymore. I saved two small samples, about 0.5 grams each, where one was put in a glass jar placed on a window stool, and the other in a cupboard. Pressed both samples and there was no noticeable change in smell or flavour. Could just be the sample size though, I would like to redo this experiment once I have more material.

I'm pretty convinced it's mostly a chemical reaction, and the reason I say that is that you start to smell the hashinene almost immediately after you start working the material. But it's a backgroundish sort of smell, where you can still smell the other terpenes. After 1 month or so, you can barely smell the terpenes that was once there when the ball was finished.

Can say it like this, 

1 month is smokable, 3 months is good, 6 months is awesome and 12 months is divine. I have only managed to save a ball once for a full year, and flavour was just that, divine. Not sure where the peak is, I think most of the process is done around 6-9 months, it still improves after that, but much slower.

1 hour ago, gb1 said:

I thought "PRESSED bubble "   was with a right press, 

Makes some killer rosin  :)

Yeah, should have called the thread "Results of Aging Temple Ball from Bubblehash", but oh well :D 

As stated above, it all depends what flavour you want from it. I also prefer the medical properties of hash made in this way, as the heat during the pressing decarboxylates the resin making the uptake better. Much more effective for pain aswell, atleast for me.

47 minutes ago, Hashslag said:

I had/have a similar situation, where my pressed ball was initially very hard, much more so than I expected it to be. I've left it now for over three months, and it has changed quite drastically. It's smoothed itself out, in simple terms, and is now super malleable (just squeeze gently between thumb and forefinger). It also smells delightful, really earthy, spicy and delicious. Ageing really does do something. From what little I understand, there is acidity in the resin itself which over time begins to 'eat' any impurities within. Or something to that effect.

Resin is very genetic dependant, this is the first time I experienced something this hard and grainy. And still the results turned out like it did! I really wish I would have beaten the crap out of it with a hammer haha. The bubble run before this just melted and turned into rubber with few if any intact heads.

From my understanding now, the cannabinoids, terpenes, flavonoids, waxes and other oils within the resin head is all separated. But once you start breaking the trichomes and start mixing it all together, the chemical process starts and so does the smell. 

It could be acidity aswell, and that's the annoying part about all this, none really knows whats going on inside the balls during the aging. And there has been no studies done on it either.

The main hash smell, hashinene, comes from beta-myrcene though, that's a fact, but how? Hopefully someone does a proper study about this someday.

28 minutes ago, rumplestilskin'n said:

how long should i leave hash to age for guys? 

also i was going to bang it in the freezer to do so but im gathering that you should give it a bit of heat, correct? 

See above :) And yes, you need heat. Depends what method you are using though. Puckpresses and similar does not work good for developing hashinene.

Edited by Translator
  • Like 3

20 hours ago, Translator said:

The trick is the aging, and I think that's the main reason why some people think it destroys the resin. A newly made ball is not very flavourful or even smelly for that matter, it's a weird mix of dulled hash and some cannabis mixed in. But once aged, the hashinene smell will slap you in the face. This process will destroy the typical cannabis smell and flavours though, in exchange for a predominantly hash/hashinene profile. It all depends what you want from it, if you prefer more typical cannabis terpenes, this is not the method for you.

Been thinking about this and my previous thread over the past few months, and I'm not so sure photo-oxidation is that important anymore. I saved two small samples, about 0.5 grams each, where one was put in a glass jar placed on a window stool, and the other in a cupboard. Pressed both samples and there was no noticeable change in smell or flavour. Could just be the sample size though, I would like to redo this experiment once I have more material.

I'm pretty convinced it's mostly a chemical reaction, and the reason I say that is that you start to smell the hashinene almost immediately after you start working the material. But it's a backgroundish sort of smell, where you can still smell the other terpenes. After 1 month or so, you can barely smell the terpenes that was once there when the ball was finished.

Can say it like this, 

1 month is smokable, 3 months is good, 6 months is awesome and 12 months is divine. I have only managed to save a ball once for a full year, and flavour was just that, divine. Not sure where the peak is, I think most of the process is done around 6-9 months, it still improves after that, but much slower.

Yeah, should have called the thread "Results of Aging Temple Ball from Bubblehash", but oh well :D 

As stated above, it all depends what flavour you want from it. I also prefer the medical properties of hash made in this way, as the heat during the pressing decarboxylates the resin making the uptake better. Much more effective for pain aswell, atleast for me.

Resin is very genetic dependant, this is the first time I experienced something this hard and grainy. And still the results turned out like it did! I really wish I would have beaten the crap out of it with a hammer haha. The bubble run before this just melted and turned into rubber with few if any intact heads.

From my understanding now, the cannabinoids, terpenes, flavonoids, waxes and other oils within the resin head is all separated. But once you start breaking the trichomes and start mixing it all together, the chemical process starts and so does the smell. 

It could be acidity aswell, and that's the annoying part about all this, none really knows whats going on inside the balls during the aging. And there has been no studies done on it either.

The main hash smell, hashinene, comes from beta-myrcene though, that's a fact, but how? Hopefully someone does a proper study about this someday.

See above :) And yes, you need heat. Depends what method you are using though. Puckpresses and similar does not work good for developing hashinene.

It's all about enjoying the different types of meds....and processes... 

2022 Bubble at its finest.

Gotta love the Great outdoors eh :)

2022 bubble(water) shmea

wet it appears beige in color..like junk lol

then as it dries, spread out on a mat or over a day or two it turns reddish brown.

once it's dry, it easily rolls up like this with the heat of your hands...

It has not been "worked" at all .  Just dried and rolled into a ball...

Stays great for the little amount of time it lasts lol 

Gotta like Free Shmea and some of the best to boot!  :) It's no affi or neps lol

but it does the trick and the cost is RIGHT :)

Edited by gb1

18 hours ago, gb1 said:

wet it appears beige in color..like junk lol

then as it dries, spread out on a mat or over a day or two it turns reddish brown.

once it's dry, it easily rolls up like this with the heat of your hands...

It has not been "worked" at all .  Just dried and rolled into a ball...

Stays great for the little amount of time it lasts lol 

Gotta like Free Shmea and some of the best to boot!  :) It's no affi or neps lol

but it does the trick and the cost is RIGHT :)

Was it fresh frozen or dried material?

Resin genetics is super weird in that way, I put my whole bodyweight at the roller when pressing this but absolutely nothing happend.

Thought I had deleted this picture, but I still had it. At first glance, it does not even look like the same hash, but it's just a different grade. This is the ball that was gathered from the 25μm bag. I forgot how much trim I used, but the 25μm bag consisted of about 30% of the yield, which is the reason I would like try a 45μm bag aswell. Think that would cut down the "waste" to about 20%.

It's still smokable, in a way, but very low quality compared to the 73μm bag. Barely any oils in it and very low stickiness, even when warm.

Never aged it, but doubt it would have improved much.

large.IMG_4292.JPG.12edbf0e22384ccf01dc9