Fridge Drying

AnonyMice

Anyone here dried their buds in the fridge?

I’ve read a lot about lower temps & humidity trapping more of the terpenes flavours smell etc

Live in a small apartment that’s always high humidity. Fans ordered but I like the sound of throwing it into paper bags and setting it in the fridge for a few days longer. Especially if the quality is claimed to be better.

Buds have been sitting in a box at 80% humidity with little air exchange for 2 days now so need a change of tact if fans don’t arrive soon

• Like 1

Threw a small bit in a brown paper bag and into the conventional fridge. 

Fans here for the box. 90% humidity with fan according to hygrometer 

Will give an update how the fridge stuff goes 

Fridges are very dry, have you used the crisper drawer?

Either way let us know how it goes :yep:

Edited by silvester growdrobe
  • Like 1

Nah I just placed on a shelf mate. Thought the crisper drawer mightn’t have enough air

will do mate :) I’m interested to see the results myself. If it works that would definitely be my way to go. Little set up & no smell 

Edited by AnonyMice
  • Like 1

It’s been 4 days in a brown bag in the fridge. Turning the buds over once a day. The outside of the buds feel crisp yet still have some moisture/stickiness when squeezed. I’m thinking it’s almost time to jar already. 

The buds smell almost exactly like they did at harvest, and better than the stuff I have hung.. maybe it’ll turn to shit who knows. I know it’s looking good so far though. 

• Like 3

When I had a temp/RH meter in my fridge the RH stayed in the 50's, not sure if that is a combination of factors like me opening the door and causing condescension, it's the condescension that would worry me from opening the door to check if they was dry yet and causing water droplets on the surface of the buds.

Anyways that's the limited space in my brain has to offer lol

@AnonyMice

Ps enjoy your 1000th like :yep:

Edited by Military Grade
  • Like 2

@Military Grade Thanks buddy :). I’ve only been opening the fridge to turn them once a day really. Not a lot else in there lol Think RH around 50. Atleast hygrometer read as much. I’m thinking it’s probably wise to cure in fridge rather than taking them out into higher temps/RH. Will jar them today 

• Like 1

Still going well in the fridge. Day 11. Temp is at 4c and humidity around 30/40%. It should take 4 weeks+ to dry all in. Then traditional curing at room temps, or maybe a slow cure aswell depending on how this goes. 

I turn jar once daily. Open and check humidity once a week

• Like 2

Chopped a small amount of Durban Dew 2 days ago. 

Placed into brown paper bag and closed over. I flip the bag over once daily. It stays in the paper bag until the initial dryness is gone. 3-5 days, then into jarred for 4 weeks 

• 2 weeks later...

My fridge drying is going well. My durban Dew is curing. 

Cardboard box - 7 days 

Paper bag - 9 days

at 4c, 40% RH in a frost free refrigerator 

I only have 1 jar left drying in the fridge. The rest is curing. The jar will take 4+ weeks. I’m at around 2 weeks now. In fairness it smells amazing, but it’s still in the drying process. It may be different when crisp. 

• 2 weeks later...

Without hygrometers I thought my buds felt done. They were in the jar curing for around 2 weeks until I used a hygrometer and realised they were still at 70% RH. I placed them on a rack, put into the fridge over night 5c 30-40% RH. 

The next morning buds were 60% RH. They are now sealed in jar until Christmas given RH stays within range, will test a nug around then :) 

I still have a jar drying in the fridge. Had a few fridge mishaps. Some days I blocked the vents and had bad frost/condensation. Hopefully don’t end up with mould. So far so good though! I will check the drying jar RH today. It’s been drying for around 4 weeks 

Edited by AnonyMice
  • Like 1

The jar dry method I didn’t execute correctly. 84% RH after 4+ weeks. I wasn’t opening the jars for an hour once a week to let the buds get to room temp. 

The bud smelled amazing, 0 mould. It has preserved it very well. I have since placed the buds on a rack in the fridge. 

Ideal RH is 40-50% and temp around 5c. My RH was low (20-30%) so I placed a bowl of water in the bottom of the fridge. The evaporating water has raised the RH to 45%. In a week or two it should be ready to jar for a tradition cure.

• Like 1