Soil temps

latitude54

How bigger effect can cooler soil (and ultimately root) temps have on a plant in flower? 

It's cooled down a fair bit over the past week or so and whilst my Green Poisons are in pretty hefty pots, I have a white widow auto in a 7-8 litre pot that seems to have possibly stalled? 

A couple of weeks ago there were a smattering of amber trichs, and having just checked again.. there's no change? The pot and the soil feel very cold and I'm wondering if this may be the reason?

large_ww1.jpg

certainly could be - what temp is your soil ?

It wants to be 22 to 25'C and is usually 2 to 3 'C cooler than your air temp 

cooler temps can stall growth.

Edited by RUFUS HOUND

Most outdoor varieties are a bit more acclimated to colder temperatures, but saying that green poison is probably bred indoors or if outdoors in Spain so it could well be the cause of them slowing down, try and keep the pots with the sunshine on them where possible to get the temps up as much as you can. Wouldn't think cold temps would stop trichs ripening though. Is there somewhere indoors you could heat and bring them into at night? Would probably only need to be for a week or so. 

29 minutes ago, RUFUS HOUND said:

didnt say they were outdoors 

Sorry buddy I didn't think to mention that as it's the outdoors forum. Should possibly have mentioned their environment in the OP.

@MindSoup The wife won't allow it. I could move them to the garage at night, but it's not likely to be any warmer in there than the in the plastic greenhouse.  

Well just ride it out mate, let them run as long as you can, keeping an eye out for rot. If there's a few amber's (on the calyxes/bracts not the sugar leaves) then they can't be too far off, can you get some trich shots up?.you might already be in the harvest window. 

nah my fault mate, I wasnt paying attention, replied before even looking. 

do you have any form of heating you could pop in the greenhouse? plus if thy ar on the floor sit them on some insulation, lots of cardboard , wood.

like mind soup said leave them in the sun to warm but then wrap the pot sides in the afternoon to keep the heat in.

Ive got an oil rad on in the loft currently and its warmer than the outside - good luck - rooting for you

• Like 2

I throw mine in an outbuilding building at night. Even that couple of degrees will help.... But it'll stink your garage out

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Idicanna jones said:

I throw mine in an outbuilding building at night. Even that couple of degrees will help.... But it'll stink your garage out

there’s a real temptation to stick them in the kitchen. I like the smell but it drives the wife bonkers. lol  

• Like 1

@latitude54 been there dude. When I was chopping my early garden auto's, I had to get the wife pissed and give her a blast on the crafty so that she'd pass out and I could trim in the kitchen.... Any kind of protection from exposure at this stage will make a difference.

• Like 2

@Idicanna jones I’ve hidden the little white widow in the toilet off the back of the boot room. The wife never goes in there so she’ll deffo smell it, but is unlikely to find it. I’ll just tell her she’s being daft. lol 

37 minutes ago, Clubs said:

Couldn't you bury the pot for some natural ground insulation?

id rather avoid digging holes at this stage. Between the dogs and the moles, there are enough chunks of garden missing. 

• Like 1

@MindSoup I’ve just spent the last hour trying to take a pic through the loupe and have concluded that I’m too “wonky” to achieve anything of any use. 
I’ll try again tomorrow. 

• Like 1