Add fresh bud to dry curing bud?

CF80

So my question is, can I add a bit of fresh bud off a plant still growing to a jar of currently curing bud that's a little dry? I've read about other methods but haven't really seen this as a method.

I jarred some earlier and it's around 50% humidity, if it doesn't raise or gets lower, is it ok to add some fresh to rehydrate?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

45 minutes ago, Military Grade said:

Once the bud goes below 55% it will permanently stop curing, rehydration won't reverse it.

Shit, well I guess it is what it is then. Had to take this plant early due to early signs of bud rot, and it dried faster than I expected. Got a jar sat at 52% and one at 56%, both at 20.5c (ish). 

Thanks anyway, I'll be more vigilant with the other plant.

• Like 1

Buy boveda packs, you won't need to worry about anything then 

I've always got the 62% and use that allthe time  even when I buy stuff on the street, straight in a jar with a sachet and its grand 

Edited by Darknight420710

1 minute ago, Military Grade said:

I would strongly advise against using Boveda packs when trying to cure weed

Why?

In short:

The way curing works they are counter productive, they basically prevent it from being able to cure properly. And op has already gone below the 55% marked.

There's a wealth of info on this site with why you shouldn't use them not just for curing but not at all. :yep:

At a stretch you could use them to rehydrate weed that's been stored for over a year that's gone dry for better vaping.

Edited by Military Grade

• 2 weeks later...

Have to agree with @Military Grade on this one having used them a few times.

During the "sweating" process (when you first put your dried buds into jars/bags) the moisture from the centre of the buds travels out and each bud ends up being about the same moisture level throughout the jar. I've found if you have Bovedas in there at that point it can interfere with that process and you end up with buds that don't quite (ever) dry and are more spongey than crystal/crumbly. It even gives the buds a slight creamy vanilla note - it's very subtle but I can tell the difference now.

As dried cannabis is very hygroscopic (so it will suck moisture from the air) your buds / jar will usually be whatever the RH was at the end of your dry. If your last 3 days drying were at 40% RH then your jar will be pretty low RH too and probably won't get over 50%. If your last 3 days drying were at 60% then I'll bet your jar RH is about 55-60% too. The room you are in when you trim, the RH of the jars and dried buds will all be related.

Personally, I prefer slightly drier buds anyway as they tend to smoke better and store better - I'm happy with anything from 50% to 60% RH in the jars they still cure fine and when you open the jar you get that puff of curing gasses being released so you can still cure down at 50-55% - it just won't taste as good and you will lose some of the terps that degrade at lower RH.

For livening up some over-dried weed then maybe but I haven't touched mine now the last few cycles. Just my 2p ;)

• Like 1