Carnivorous Plants

Clubs

As per the title, does anyone grow carnivorous plants in the greenhouse (or even indoors) to keep the bugs to a minimum?  I was thinking about getting some Purple Pitchers as apparently they do better in our climate.  Thoughs :unsure:

• Like 1

we have hectares of greenhouses in holland....  flowers ...veggies etc etc...

they use bio insects to keep bugs down...

lately.... they even have mini-drones who patrol the greenhouse and sense and...take out insects by their propellers....if battery is low...they go automatic to the loading stations...

• Like 7

Insect killing drones!! We truly are living in the future. Can they tell the difference between beneficials and pests? Or do you mean they use them instead of the predators? 

• Like 3

I have some drosera sundew, and Venus fly traps.

Not necessarily to keep pests down, just because i like them.

All indoors. 

I really like the Sundews. 

• Like 2

Baby steps perhaps before proceeding directly to the NASA engineered weapons of mass destruction. @Moonstone420 yes, the idea of growing them for a bit of fun on the side appeals to me too. I kind of get a lot of big spiders here and that's why I was thinking of the pitchers. It seems that larger beasties can escape the Venus Fly Traps but they must be pretty interesting plants to have around so might try some. :yep:

• Like 1

On 3-10-2022 at 10:36 AM, MindSoup said:

Insect killing drones!! We truly are living in the future. Can they tell the difference between beneficials and pests? Or do you mean they use them instead of the predators? 

in this video they are used in the night time agains night moth.... :)  they made 10% damage to leaves and could not be sold in the old regime...so...a happy grower...

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
On 03/10/2022 at 10:25 AM, Moonstone420 said:

I really like the Sundews.

Me too. Good for keeping fungus gnat numbers down. Beautiful pink flowers. I have a couple in my polytunnel and some more at the window at home. Great wee things and quite easy to look after too.

• Like 1