aquaponics/ water from fish tank/pond

ControlLED

do we have any growers on here using aquatics? would love to hear your views/experiences when using aquaponics or even just growing with tank water etc :) would also love to see some aquaponic setups if you have any pictures :)

• Like 2

Very interested in this also.. just found this thread by searching for HMA water.. will be trying old tank water also fish waste in my feeds when I start my grow.. TDS / EC won't be to high but interested to see what the benefits would be .. 

Following..

not really enough nutrient in the water to finish plants off to be perfectly honest.

ive never seen a grow done to completion without many issues. 

but.......be a pioneer

• Like 4

It’s good for salad crops only from what I’ve seen. Even tilapia struggle with the higher levels. Here’s a video of an aquatic breeders set up over in USA it’s an amazing environment he’s made. 

Edited by Arthur Mix
  • Like 7

Would be interesting to try rinsing filter media in a bucket of tank water then use the filthy water a one off feed.

Presumably would give a good idea of what it’s doing, if anything.

I’d imagine an aquarium would need to be several years old before you’d see any benefit from using tank water. 

Edited by Smokey McBongface

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/30/2022 at 4:52 PM, Smokey McBongface said:

Would be interesting to try rinsing filter media in a bucket of tank water then use the filthy water a one off feed.

Presumably would give a good idea of what it’s doing, if anything.

I’d imagine an aquarium would need to be several years old before you’d see any benefit from using tank water. 

Funny you say that I've been cleaning my filters and pouring the dirty water in my garden the last couple of times..  the filter media does get clogged up with detritis etc and get's very dirty the water is like black coffee colour so there will be some goodness in there for sure..   the tank water itself won't have much use I don't think but will be better than normal tap water..

Edited by HappySADhu
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...

I love the idea of keeping fish in the reservoir then using the water.
Does anyone know how many goldfish would be suitable in a 47l tank? 

• 9 months later...
On 22/05/2023 at 22:14, Wag said:

I love the idea of keeping fish in the reservoir then using the water.
Does anyone know how many goldfish would be suitable in a 47l tank? 

i pressume it would depend on plant/how many? some need more nutes than others so it would be finding a balance of strain for the tank provided that can fit enough to live happy but imo 47l tank you would be better over populate with many little fish like danios tetras white cloud minoes thats can handle a bit of temp differences and over populating them to provide the nutes to the plants. id start with one maybe 2 plants with a tank that size and see how it goes if the fish produce enough then try add a plant next run if they struggle they take a plant out but try 2 so of same stable strain (pref auto) and get a basice idea of how the pair do and youll see if you can add more or rewmove 1 

• Like 1