Intake temperature issue

darksecrets999

So I’ll be starting a new grow soon in a bedroom at the top of an unused flat. The issue I have is if I’m I taking air from outside that cold winter air is going to be hitting my roots. I have 2 options.

1. Intake cold air from outside (with a HEPA filter) into a small mini tent which has an oil filled radiator inside. Extract the warm air from that tent into my grow tent. 

2. don’t bother with an intake from outside. Just reuse the same air that’s being exhausted from the tent. This air will be depleted of CO2 so use a CO2 tank in the room where the tent is and let the tent intake this CO2 rich air via passive intake

what would you guys recommend? I will be using an 8x4 tent as my main tent and running around 8 autoflowers

Guest Micromole Hole

Chilly air leaf temps slows them down with the outside autumnal air intake. I would look  at a ducting heater or abstract air from the house . 

Just now, Micromole Hole said:

Chilly air leaf temps slows them down with the outside autumnal air intake. I would look  at a ducting heater or abstract air from the house . 

Abstract air from the rest of the house isn’t an option. I only have the upstairs bedroom available. I could go down the ducting heater route but do think it might be a tad expensive. Is there a reason you wouldn’t recommend the passive intake option with enrichment of the room CO2 levels?

Guest Micromole Hole

I suppose I grow different to you with a sealed chamber so no smells can leak to the neighbours vicinity.  It's up to you to get where you want mate - I'm not a do as I say person. 

Just now, Micromole Hole said:

I suppose I grow different to you with a sealed chamber so no smells can leak to the neighbours vicinity.  It's up to you to get where you want mate - I'm not a do as I say person. 

No, I appreciate the advice mate. With your sealed chamber how do you enrich your CO2 levels?

Guest Micromole Hole

I find an intake pointing at the bulbs create suitable levels of enriched Co2 for my space. Just tweak the extract to 50 % . There's an adequate supply in just a normal environment, without all these millions of cars outside. I have an intake and extract with everything sealed except the 2 holes - not the expert air conditioned Chambers like in America or if you have a 15k set up with Khan Air conditioners etc.

Edited by Micromole Hole

4 minutes ago, Micromole Hole said:

I find an intake pointing at the bulbs create suitable levels of enriched Co2 for my space. Just tweak the extract to 50 % . There's an adequate supply in just a normal environment, without all these millions of cars outside.

Ah so intake to the top of the tent to get warm air and exhaust from the bottom?

• Like 1

Guest Micromole Hole
Just now, darksecrets999 said:

Ah so intake to the top of the tent to get warm air and exhaust from the bottom?

Yes , especially in winter with a oscillating fan to mix it all up and keep everything in the zone.

13 minutes ago, Micromole Hole said:

Some people do have a little lung room with oil rads too. 

Thanks for the advice once again. I’d love to have the option of a lung room but unfortunately we can only use the one room

Maybe it would work if you switch the intake off when the lights are off? 

Id defo try to find a way to pull it from inside though, pulling air in from outside will get real cold real quick coming into winter.

Thanks for the advice once again. I’d love to have the option of a lung room but unfortunately we can only use the one room

Could also build a small box out of wood inside the room, put a rad in there and pull through that.

Edited by trees

8 minutes ago, trees said:

Maybe it would work if you switch the intake off when the lights are off? 

Id defo try to find a way to pull it from inside though, pulling air in from outside will get real cold real quick coming into winter.

I’m considering running them 24/0 (autos) to keep the air warm. And I know (i would rather intake from another room too). So you wouldn’t recommend the CO2 idea either then?

If you heat the roots with a heat mat, electric blanket or whatever so they're warm you should be okish running hps lights 24hrs with the intake at the top going into the bulbs and the extract at the bottom.

One problem with the co2 idea is the humidity buildup issue.

1 hour ago, darksecrets999 said:

Abstract air from the rest of the house isn’t an option. I only have the upstairs bedroom available

Why not? 

Why can't you use the hole you have to extract through. Then you simply use the air i the room . As you extract to the outside, fresh air will come in from around your door from the rest of the flat.

24 minutes ago, monkeypig said:

Why not? 

Why can't you use the hole you have to extract through. Then you simply use the air i the room . As you extract to the outside, fresh air will come in from around your door from the rest of the flat.

Yeah I think you might have hit the nail on the head here. Only thing I’m worried about is heat signature. Would venting warm air from the tent to outside not show a heat signature to any boys in blue?