Qwet using alcohol distiller

Chick0ndipper

I want to make some qwet oil but do not want to evaporate alcohol in open air and would also like to reclaim the evaporated alcohol.

Would the following work?

I put the wash in a glass plate and then put the plate in a distiller on top of a temperature controlled hot plate (at around 80degrees)

I’m thinking it might not work without any vacuum?

Example pic of distiller I’m thinking of

Edited by Chick0ndipper

Yes I think that'll work but 

80 won't be quite hot enough

I see you've found Vevor :)

They sell a few affordable all in one temperature controlled distillers that make it all quite easy 

The PID on mine is very accurate so I use it for all sorts of other jobs too

I reduce it down in the air still then finish it off on a cup warmer with a USB fan blowing over the surface to keep an eye on it and not to over do it with the heat at the end 

• Like 1

I have used an Airstill ,works a treat ,but never used a glass plate as evap ltrs of alc at a time , when i have done ,Atb

Ps i ditched one of the ones in your link , took too much elec wattage to heat it and was unstable on the hot plate , did run some base alc through it though iirc it was about 92 c for that:)

Edited by Personunknown

15 hours ago, Hippie on hill said:

I see you've found Vevor

I used a random Google image but now looking at their website see they do a lot of things! What’s the quality of their products like? 

@Personunknown do you finish it in the still? Or finish it off in another container

reason for plate was to keep the still cleaner and easier to collect the oil. 

I regoogled for still info on the forum and found there are a number of threads. I did search yesterday but couldn’t find anything. I must have been more stoned than I thought. 

Edited by Chick0ndipper

It's rebadged from multiple sources, I think, so no doubt quality varies but I've not had any issues

and I'm currently eyeing up one of their ultrasonic cleaners at the moment lol

• Like 1

@Chick0ndipper It worked great for wash to alc, but you would lose a lot in the cooling hose  as you sound like its for small amounts at a time imho . a plate wouldnt keep it clean as vapor is all over inside oil settles in the bottom as it evaps the alc, With the airstill i remove when down to about 100mls alc left,

then on a plate on a heat mat. its a case of getting used to how much in and how much out with the airstill as if opend during evap the seal can fall into it as the high% alc makes the seal swell ,it goes back to useable after cooling and washing (or mine does ) i strap the top down as to avoid weeping alc, hope this is some help, Ps the vevor in the link is tinny and your better off with a more expensive one if wishing to do alc runs ,mine held a 4'5ltrs approx , the air still holds 2ltrs :yinyang:

Edited by Personunknown

20 hours ago, Chick0ndipper said:

I want to make some qwet oil but do not want to evaporate alcohol in open air and would also like to reclaim the evaporated alcohol

search for a water distiller on’t web

about 200 quid for a glass receptacle one is what i’ve got my eye on 

@Graywolf I wish I had the space to do that! Your website guide on making the pot still was useful.

From what I’m understanding I can’t do the whole process in the still? There’s no way to tell once all the alcohol has been evaporated, unless I’m measuring the output. Does dry running the still ruin the oil?

20 hours ago, Chick0ndipper said:

@Graywolf I wish I had the space to do that! Your website guide on making the pot still was useful.

From what I’m understanding I can’t do the whole process in the still? There’s no way to tell once all the alcohol has been evaporated, unless I’m measuring the output. Does dry running the still ruin the oil?

Depends on your still.  If your design permits, you can measure the amount going into the still and mark the collection vessel, so that when you've recovered N amount, you remove the lid and boil the remaining off to atmosphere and continue through decarboxylation.  I like to watch the C02 bubbles to tell when the decarboxylation is complete.

Late edit:  Consider that some of the alcohol will still be in your coils, when you mark your collection vessel.

Edited by Graywolf
  • Like 1

On 9/15/2022 at 4:38 AM, twigs said:

search for a water distiller on’t web

about 200 quid for a glass receptacle one is what i’ve got my eye on 

Water distillers run hotter than alcohol stills.  Consider a countertop alcohol still instead:  https://www.megahomedistiller.com/products/megahome-still-for-alcohol-essential-oil-making

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Graywolf said:

Water distillers run hotter than alcohol stills.  Consider a countertop alcohol still instead

that’s the type of ones i’ve got my eye on :skin_up:

didnt realise they are an alcohol still.

hope your well dude :stoned:  

• Like 1