Nettle compost

AnonyMice

After all is harvested this year I’d like to prep next year’s plots. 

I was thinking of mixing a shit ton of nettles with a shit ton of compost, allowing it to decompose over winter & have nitrogen rich soil ready to go for next year. 

My question is would this suffice? Or would I still need to be adding FBB or topping up with nettle tea along the way? 

Want to avoid to attracting animals with fertilisers if possible, and it’s also a fairly easy route for me to go down, my plots are surrounded with them. 

Goal is also ofc to create nutrient rich soil, to limit plot visits next year. 

Should I add anything else to it? Any advice or suggestions greatly appreciated.

Have an abundance of compost. 

First runs in flower now, next year’s drawing board is open already lol 

Edited by AnonyMice
  • Like 1

@Baron von greenback heard it’s good stuff mate. Had trouble finding it this year unfortunately. Never seen the stuff before. 

Will be using liquid seaweed through out next years grow, worked wonders this year. 

Was actually looking into using diluted seawater. Contains hundreds of minerals plants wouldn’t otherwise get.  Not sure to what benefit but fun thing to experiment on a few with. 

Edited by AnonyMice

It should be growing near nettles it grows in good patches when you find it won't the salt in salt water kill the plants but you never know worth a try like they might go mental mate

• Like 1

@Baron von greenbackI’ll be keeping my eyes peeled for comfrey, I’ve probs walked past it many times. Wish I had identified some prior to current run. 

This was my first year. I used FBB & topped up with nettle tea/seaweed which worked well. Sop/bonemeal for flowering.

I read a lot online about diluting it something like 100/1, apparently fermenting it is even better. Maybe at that ratio salt isn’t as much of an issue? 

I think it’s a cool thing to experiment with.. the run off of the earth.. Would have to pick somewhere with little pollution, not near harbours or beaches

Edited by AnonyMice
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 14/09/2022 at 00:00, AnonyMice said:

@Baron von greenbackI’ll be keeping my eyes peeled for comfrey, I’ve probs walked past it many times. Wish I had identified some prior to current run. 

This was my first year. I used FBB & topped up with nettle tea/seaweed which worked well. Sop/bonemeal for flowering.

I read a lot online about diluting it something like 100/1, apparently fermenting it is even better. Maybe at that ratio salt isn’t as much of an issue? 

I think it’s a cool thing to experiment with.. the run off of the earth.. Would have to pick somewhere with little pollution, not near harbours or beaches

Did you ever get round to seawater dude??

Big love stiggy

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I haven’t mate. I think I’ll give it a go this year now you’ve reminded me lol I forgot about that idea. I’m surrounded by sea, so I’ll give it a go :) 

iirc Horsetail is good for sillicon I use it in teas 👍🏼

Edited by Flamedodger
Predictive text
  • Like 2

For what I have been told:

Nettle can be used in 3 ways:

- extract/ concentrate to add to the soil

- tea to use as foliar fertiliser

- compost material for soil base or topping.

If you use nettle as a tea fertiliser, theoretically just adding water to the bucket/tank you have endless tea for all the season ( 50-100l tank more than bucket for allotment).

Apparently ( but I can't say it is true or not) while composting the plant will lost lot of good properties which directly evaporate.

Nettle compost doesn't exist imho without mixing it with something else. The microbial decomposition in compost happen becose greens and browns in the same way as a NER in fetigation. If the correct proportion is not achieved more than compost you have decomposed organic material and lot of rodens.

I have since last year my 20l bucket on the garden and still using it for the lawn.

I smell nothing unfortunately but no particular unpleasant smell from it..neither more insects.

Nettle attract insect as it provide as a plant a good cover areas for several species. Talking in terms of sustainability and diversity, nettle is creating biodiversity and reachness....is it not perfect for an allotment? Definitely if you want to push some organic soil mix ( included living soil oriented).

• Like 1