Garage door insulation

Gaijin

Afternoon folks :) 

So, I have this "insulated garage" that I'm about to start growing in. Without much else to do atm, I took the plasterboard down from the door end of the garage just to see how well the missus' late father had insulated things. Basically, he's locked the metal door and built a wooden frame with a depth of 4". Then there's a layer of that loft insulation stuff that comes in a roll. Fibres everywhere. That stuff. And a layer of plasterboard. 

The place stays relatively cool most of the day, until the sun hits that metal garage door in the mid to late afternoon. The temp fluctuation in summer is quite noticeable. Now, I have a second roll of the fibre insulation and I could maybe press a second layer into the space. Would that have much of an effect? What's the best way to insulate against that metal door? 

5 hours ago, Gaijin said:

So, I have this "insulated garage" that I'm about to start growing in. Without much else to do atm, I took the plasterboard down from the door end of the garage just to see how well the missus' late father had insulated things. Basically, he's locked the metal door and built a wooden frame with a depth of 4". Then there's a layer of that loft insulation stuff that comes in a roll. Fibres everywhere. That stuff. And a layer of plasterboard. 

The place stays relatively cool most of the day, until the sun hits that metal garage door in the mid to late afternoon. The temp fluctuation in summer is quite noticeable. Now, I have a second roll of the fibre insulation and I could maybe press a second layer into the space. Would that have much of an effect? What's the best way to insulate against that metal door? 

what about a second wall with 100mm king span

im just trying to set one up me self .. have you a post on how you set up etc im just thinking how hot it will get and how do you vent stealthy 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Gaijin said:

What's the best way 

how’s about releasing some of the hot air from the metal door by having vents at the top and bottom? (on the garage door)

lose another 60mm and do another  internal wall?

clad the outside so the sun don’t hit the door? you could cut the end off a caravan and stick that on so it looks like it’s parked half in half out? 

Edited by twigs
house music
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, twigs said:

how’s about releasing some of the hot air from the metal door by having vents at the top and bottom? (on the garage door)

lose another 60mm and do another  internal wall?

clad the outside so the sun don’t hit the door? you could cut the end off a caravan and stick that on so it looks like it’s parked half in half out? 

@twigs thats a ripper idea . lollol  

• Like 2

@twigs I might go all out and install the back end of a 747 lol 

I'm taking all the interior plasterboard down today. I figure I may as well get the place insulated as well as possible NOW, before anything is set up. 

I think what I was asking for regarding that metal door, was if there is some kind of magical material in sheet form that's nice and thin but super insulating. I don't know, I'm rather stoned at this moment 

• Like 2

no worries dude :) there’s new- ish insulation rolls/materials that are better than the cell board stuff now, much thinner with the same if not better amount of insulation

the vents in the door isn’t a bad idea because it will let the heat out naturally 

if you stick the new insulation on the back side of the garage door then build a new stud wall which is also insulated you should be cool, you could use silver backed plasterboard too so that’s triple insula:badass:ted 

:yinyang:

• Like 2

@twigs using a tape measure instead of my fingers lol I have 5 and a quarter inches to play with :naughty: So I'll have a look around for some of this new-fangled material you mention and then squash a couple of layers of the existing in there.

@Brysee Didn't think of that :D That'll make a difference too. Needs approval from the missus, I'd imagine

Vents in the door sound like a good idea, but it's the sort of thing that I'd notice from the road, so my suspicious mind pictures everyone going by and wondering why there's a vent in the garage door ......... 

23 hours ago, Gaijin said:

Now, I have a second roll of the fibre insulation and I could maybe press a second layer into the space. Would that have much of an effect? What's the best way to insulate against that metal door? 

Squishing insulation ontop of insulation will make the properties worse! its the air gaps in the roll that are the insulation so if you squish all these out it makes it worse. Better going for single layer of the correct depth product. 

I have an Everest garage door that is insulated from the factory, its about 30mm depth, cant see inside it but it would just be 30mm of closed cell foam. So like kingspan board stuff. In the summer it has the sun battering down on it all day and it stays cool to touch from the inside. the biggest difference i found was sorting out air gaps around the garage door. I still use the garage door so dont have the luxury of boarding it out. 

If you are still studding it out and not using the garage door id go with Kingspan board instead of roll stuff, you could even stick some therma wrap over the garage door. but the kingspan would do all the work anyway. Id do 100mm between the studs, then 50mm ontop of the studs the garage door side. All depends on funds etc too

are you trying to still be able to use the garage door? 

• Like 1

@Bobcharlieeeee No mate, the garage door will be, for all purposes, a decorative feature lol   It sounds like the Kingspan stuff will do a much better job than the roll of fibrous nastiness that's currently in there. 10cm would fit just right between the studs. And another 50mm on top of that? I'll have to price it up. Shouldn't be too hard sealing up around the door, seeing as it won't ever be in use.

I didn't think of that - squishing the insulation would make it worse :doh:   Silly me of course it would 

Makes me wonder what it would cost to get the opening bricked over. I wonder how much that would cost 

@Gaijin Even better then! Might be worth leaving the gap around the garage door, to ventilate the cavity. but if not expanding foam Tape is brilliant. 

Id go with the greatest thickness you can get away with on top of the studs, if you have more room than 50mm go bigger. Put that layer horizontally, and tape all joints with foil tape. 

Insulation is expensive, but if you can get hold of a van, then collecting full size sheets from a local merchant is the best way, someone like CCF are good. even better when they make a mistake and charge you for a cheaper productlol

Brickies are like hens teeth at the minute im finding so good luck! they know this too so want paying even more than usual for the privilegelol 

But saying all of this, what is the rest of the garage insulated with? such as the walls and roof? is it a standalone garage or attached to a house? is it all single skin brickwork? 

• Like 1

@Bobcharlieeeee concrete pre-formed slab walls. Looks like a wood sheet, felted roof. My missus' dad has framed it out 5" deep all the way around, filled with rolled Super Glass insulation. The roof is similarly 5" deep with the same stuff for insulation. Finished with white plasterboard.

Two walls are facing into an insulated "sunroom" that joins house to garage. It's currently a sauna in summer and a freezer in winter but will be getting a new insulated roof and doors in the near future, making it an extra room, rather than a nuisance room with a washing machine in it. The other long wall and the garage door itself are exposed to the elements, with the garage door getting full sun in the late afternoon and all evening. 

What's all this about ventilating the cavity? Please explain :)