Amendments to Coco

Moonstone420

Hello all.

I have been flip flopping between Rockwool and Coco forever, but think I am going to stick to Coco for the foreseeable.

Just wondering if any of you use amendments in coco?

I have tried Eco Thrive Charge previously (just about to run out), and have just purchased some Guanokalong Powder to give it a try.

Just wondering what you guys think of amendments in coco and what you use? 

I was also considering worm castings at like 10% of the pot size. 

Any advice you can give would be very helpful. 

Edited by Moonstone420

@Fatboy77

Yeah I was looking at that great white stuff too.

So you don't think its worth it these days. I do use LED btw. 

Maybe I will do a little side by side or something. The Bat gauno is bought now, so will at least give that a run. 

1 hour ago, Fatboy77 said:

I used to fuck around wildly with my coco but stopped when high powered leds turned up.

I used to add ewc, biochar, charge, great white mycos etc.

If you're using a decent spec led I just don't see the point now.  It's more faff and £'s for which you'll probably not even notice the difference.

If you're using HID lighting though I'd say it's worth it for the small gains.

Eta - if you're lazy like me you might want to consider going 50:50 with coco and compost.  That way you can forget about ec, pH and run off.

Then you are not doing hydro. This is is the wrong section to be talking about dirt-grown weed. Totally different philosophy. It fucks me off when people talk about "faffing". I like growing weed and all that it entails.  If that's what you doing, you are dirt growing. You are using coco instead of peat as the moisture retaining element.

Edited by catweazle1

26 minutes ago, Fatboy77 said:

So 80% coco, watered like coco isn't hydro?

Okay bud, sure.  

By watering that mixture everyday, like coco, the point of the dirt and organic amendments is wasted because you are basically washing out  the soluble organic components of the dirt and amendments  as they break down, to be replaced by synthetics. Apart from the endos, which reside in the roots, the ectos will be washed away by the too frequent irrigation. I know you are a good grower but I think your thinking on this is not what's happening. I have myself thought of doing this when thinking for the future but it doesn't make sense when I look into it. The only time it makes sense to me is using the watering routine for dirt. In a nutshell, the irrigation frequency and quantity in that mix negates the proper  benefits of the dirt.  I suppose we could argue what hydro is and what dirt-growing is. 

Edited by catweazle1

@Fatboy77, I know, when you know why you are doing things, that allows you to be creative because you are in tune, but then the underlying principles of each technique become confusing for beginners. Anyway, that's my 2p. :) 

Edited by catweazle1

2 hours ago, Fatboy77 said:

I don't bother anymore, but I did yeah.  You can feed with pretty much anything.  I used coco feed until it ran out, no bother.

Thanks, mate! Sounds interesting as I thought I have to treat it like coco ... It can solve peat BAN issue!

Read your diary and thought I might miss your 50/50 coco/compost grow as I've seen only your 60% compost; 30% coco; 10% castings grows ... 

@catweazle1 Friend of mine doing same as DankStank BUT he doing like he call it SHOWER DAY. He just washing out all salts once every week and using low EC feed. Cracking results 

Edited by CDF20
Grammar
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, CDF20 said:

Thanks, mate! Sounds interesting as I thought I have to treat it like coco ... It can solve peat BAN issue!

Read your diary and thought I might miss your 50/50 coco/compost grow as I've seen only your 60% compost; 30% coco; 10% castings grows ... 

@catweazle1 Friend of mine doing same as DankStank BUT he doing like he call it SHOWER DAY. He just washing out all salts once every week and using low EC feed. Cracking results 

Yes, that's another way. I think Jiffy 77 blocks would make a good peat substitute. The texture is super.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, catweazle1 said:

Yes, that's another way. I think Jiffy 77 blocks would make a good peat substitute. The texture is super.

Should be Jiffy Pro7.

been looking at that 

what kind of structure does it have compared to the other generic bagged brands like canna atami plagron for example