Thoughts on using grow nutes to bring ph down instead of ph down in flower

photobat

Hi, 

I don't like adding ph down chemicals to my plants if at all possible, in flower i often creap up to approx 6.5ph. 

Just wondered if any of you old schoolers use grow nutes to bring the ph down in flower instead of ph down. 

Had a light bulb moment but is this a good or bad idea of mine? 

Cheers 

Yeah citric acid'll get it done.

It's readily available over the counter in powder form for home preserving and cookery :yep:

:yinyang:

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, photobat said:

In all seriousness are you talking about lemon juice or what? 

As above, powder form really. You can buy huge bags of it really cheap, works great as a pH down and contributes to the krebs cycle :yep: 

• Like 2

I use white vinegar or lab acetic acid. It can combine with the insoluble calcium compounds in hard water to form the acetate version, which is soluble and plant-usable. It adds nothing to the overall nutrient profile. I don't think its effect is as long lasting as phosphoric or nitric though... thinking of dwc. 

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Fatboy77 said:

It only creeps up to 6.5 just don't fucking bother, easy innit.

Knocked pH on the head a good few years back and my coco plants couldn't give a fuck.

I get my pH down first to acidify for the silicic acid, otherwise it will gel up in my plain, hard tap water. My total list is Miracle Gro (you read that right), silicic acid, vinegar, Maxicrop Seaweed. PH ends up 6ish. The reason I picked MG was because it's NPK is 3:1:2, which I wanted to work with. My original reason for doing away with nitric/phosphoric was because I wanted to try and preserve that 3:1:2 ratio. I'm really happy so far. Just gone into 12/12 and will keep things the same. I'm hesitant to use phosphoric now because it seems to form mainly insoluble compounds, which could be the root of some  leaf symptoms.

Edited by catweazle1

On 07/09/2022 at 3:53 PM, photobat said:

Hi, 

I don't like adding ph down chemicals to my plants if at all possible, in flower i often creap up to approx 6.5ph. 

Just wondered if any of you old schoolers use grow nutes to bring the ph down in flower instead of ph down. 

Had a light bulb moment but is this a good or bad idea of mine? 

Cheers 

I’ve been running coco since 2009 and I use Dutch Pro grow formula start to finish so would be hard for me to add grow nutes to grow nutes to bring pH down without increasing the EC beyond where my system needs it to be. 

Citric acid can be used but it also breaks down and is then absorbed by the plant which is why pH will gradually increase if using CA. 

I love citric acid for pest control as a contact killer spray though!

i use Growth tech pH down and Potassium Silicat to bring pH up if I miss the range. 

but if I ever mix anything that hits 4 or 8 on the pH scale that’s hit dangerous levels for precipitation I generally remix a new solution. 

1 hour ago, greengal said:

@JonDaMon What concentration of citric acid are you using as a pest control spray? Sounds an interesting idea. Do you spray directly onto plants? Thanks Sal.

Yes it’s a contact killer. 

DO NOT ROOT DRENCH. 

my mix contained the following 

1litre water 

2-3 teaspoons of CA powder 

If you want too, you can add neem and unperfumed washing up liquid as a surfactant. 

always test in lower growth a day before application to make sure no damage will occur at your concentration. 

citric acid is one of the main ingredients in most Organic Pest control products. 

• Like 2