Effect of building a tolerance to THC over months and driving?

stephenc

I have built up a resistance to THC to the point where I can take 1 gram of THC oil around 9pm, just before going to bed. When I awaken, I then take 1 gram of CBD oil.

A single grain sized drop of the THC oil was enough to get me high at the beginning months ago, but now it has no effect that I'm aware of.

So my question is - has the tolerance which I have built up going to be good enough so as not to affect my driving and in the event of an accident, if I were blood tested here in the UK, would I be unsafe to drive?

Would a functioning alcoholic with 5 x the legal limit of alcohol in their blood expect to be treated any differently?  

• Like 12

Yup, unless you have a medical prescription.  Then you can drive as high as you like, as long as the rozzas can't prove you were driving dangerously, in order to prosecute.

If you haven't a prescription, it doesn't matter if you were driving dangerously or not.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, MidgeSmith said:

Yup, unless you have a medical prescription.  Then you can drive as high as you like, as long as the rozzas can't prove you were driving dangerously, in order to prosecute.

Nope. :no: If you're over the limit then you're over the limit, prescription or not. I'm not sure why some folks have trouble understanding this simple concept. 

• Like 9

Prescription or not your gonna get fucked if caught driving under the influence and the limit is pretty small

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Saddam said:

Nope. :no: If you're over the limit then you're over the limit, prescription or not. I'm not sure why some folks have trouble understanding this simple concept. 

Hi @Saddam you are flat out wrong about this i am afraid.

Having a prescription for cannabis is a statutory defence against having thc or its metabolites in your blood whilst driving above 2ng/ml.

the 2ng/ml limit is admitted to be ridicuously low in order to do people for possession.

if you have a prescription, the bar becomes impairment. the police need to carry out a FIT test to check for impairment.

there is no recognised linear relationship between blood leels and impairment ike there is with alcohol. impairment is thought to start at 5ng/ml but it vaires wildly, especialy with tolerance.

if op is taking 1g (not a normal liquid measure) of (unspecified strength) thc oil per day then he is likely, like me, to be permanently above the limit to  drive.

if stopped he will likely swab positive.

he is likely to then be nicked and taken to the station for a further test and a pace interview. during the pace interb=view he can produce his prescription etc. if the police dont do a fit test and find him impaired, there will be no case to answer.

source; i have written to my local chief of police and he has confirmed this.

note; i never drive within 12 hours of taking cannabis

• Like 2

I have a prescription too and it was recommended I not drive for at least 12 hours after taking medication. You crack on fella, arresting officer and duty sergeant decides what happens to you on the night, and if they want to blood test you (not for metabolites) then they will. If you're over the active THC limit then you're going to court, and face a mandatory 12 month ban. You can try showing a prescription as mitigating circumstances but the fact remains you've driven with more than the allowed level of a drug in your system. 

• Like 5

If you need a gram of oil each day for your body to function and you drive a vehicle for a living, it’s time to switch jobs, or at least stop operating heavy machinery. 

• Like 3

Lets just imagine OP has an accident, a really fucking bad one  and it wasn't even their fault, all drivers are tested and one comes back positive for THC. Who's going to be the one in the papers? 

• Like 9

Regardless, it's a matter of facts and medical cannabis users are judged on impairment, not the level in their blood.  I mean, perhaps if it was 1mg / ml it would be viewed differently, but in general it is not down to having any in their blood at all as it is for the unprescribed.

Yes the right wing press particularly would like to jump on the fact that one of the drivers was a medical cannabis patient, but hopefully the facts of the crash would be the most pertinent details and we can't help that the media on that side loves to demonise drug users who are not paying tax.  Ironic as their owners avoid tax as much as possible, even pushing the public to vote for hugely damaging moves in order to avoid sweeping tax disclosure laws.

• Like 3