best RATCHET hangers...

mysticriver

where are the best ratchet hangers?

both of my lights, one side the ratchet clicks positive up or down, the other has stopped clicking & is imprecise - I have to pull it up more and release it down to get a few clicks worth of movement

its annoying. a few have done it now

mystic

Edited by mysticriver

I've found that the metal mechanism ones are better for heavy things, 

the ratchet on the plastic mechanism ones must wear out quicker I suppose :)

Atb 

:yinyang:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Shumroom said:

the metal mechanism ones are better

ive got some carboair, and some viparspecta, ive looked in them & they do have metal internals

maybe I need the heavy duty model

mystic

• Like 1

I've just stumped for some new ratchet hangers, previously I've used black orchid examples but after ten or so years the clips have gone rusty, I have a set of unbranded ones that don't have that satisfying click and can jam unexpectedly so I don't use them.

I found lumii heavy duty ratchet hangers on scamazon for less than a fiver per pair recently, first impressions are they'll go the distance but I'm waiting for a crop to finish before I can sling up the new light

• Like 2

You might already do this, but if you put a hand under the light to take the weight off the cord/ratchet while you adjust the height the ratchets seem to hold up a lot better. 

• Like 3

@MindSoup i just yank at the ratchets on my T5 , occasionally hit them with whatevers close to hand and swear at them in a motivational fashion, works for me lol

Lifting makes absolute sense, noted for when I'm hanging actual weight, my lumii hid reflector weighs about as much as a gnats nutsack.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, sweettooth said:

Use chains, much easier and less headache and less prone to breaking

In theory easier to level too , provided you can count.

• Like 1

I bought a pack of 10 from the rainforest and held approx 23kg hanging during my last grow, Extractor, Lights, carbon filter and an 11.5kg shipping cage piece (for ScrOG) and they were absolutely fine, i had to throw away the black orchid ones because they did what you described.

47 minutes ago, BilgePump said:

In theory easier to level too , provided you can count.

You can count the clicks on the ratchet as well..... 

• Like 3

Assuming the strings are the same length that'd work.

Unfortunately none of mine are the same length so for the T5 I use a little spirit level (and a few swift thwacks)

• Like 1

No idea what ratchets I have but the click are very reliable as I always check with a spirit level after, the problem I have I utilising that last big of space where the ratchets are. 

• Like 3

I've seen some lads attaching ratchets to the "outer frame poles" and running the cords over handling bars to get the most out of the available headroom, effectively getting rid of that 5/6 inch gap you get with conventionally hung ratchets pulled all the way up @Military Grade

Dunno if that even makes sense now I read it back to myself lol

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Military Grade said:

as I always check with a spirit level after

Good to know I'm not the only one lol 

• Like 3