Growing in shed/outhouse

Firsttimegrower123

Just feeling the water seeing if anyone else has grown in a shed i have a massive wooden shed/outhouse that is insulated with rockwoll and plasterboarded and then skimmed which i made into a bar during lockdown half of it is boxed off with wooden panels to make a side room that was orignally storage i have then bought some silver bubble wrap insulation and covered the walls and ceilings of the cut of bit with it so its double insulated and the plant is in a grow tent in there ive currently got an auto do si do in there thats doing ok got a little stunted with the bloody heat the other week but getting there now! My question is there any other shed growers out there?? am i ok to do a few crops a year if i can keep temps under control flapping a bit about doing a run in winter as i do get a few helicopters flying over now and again?? 

• Like 4

@firsttimegrower Am sure I am not the only one, probably a lot of growers here use outside sheds.

To answer your question... I have been happily growing in my outbuilding for many many years. Just have to cope with the temps in summer and also in winter. Apart from the cost etc, I have gone down the LED route to try to combat the silly temps in summer. Probably have to put more cost in to it in the colder months, we will just have to see. Crack on with it m8 :)

Cheers

Vill

• Like 2

Brilliant guys its nice to know im not thw only one! Il definitely be having a read @stu914 Just curious this run is supposed to end in october then im going to bite the bullet i think do a winter run hope the insulation is doing its job!! Ive been looking at tube heaters and a digital thermostat so it will click on and off when temps right but im wracking my brain on how to mount the bloody thing inside the grow tent safely dont want to wake up in morning have no shed left! lol how do you guys go about it?? Dont fancy running a 2000w oil rad because when prices go up in october going to be a joke to run 

41 minutes ago, Firsttimegrower123 said:

how to mount the bloody thing

On the floor is best, especially if you can get it between or close to the plants, keep their roots nice and toasty.

I don't use a tent so mine are mounted on the wall...

large.SSCN1663.JPG

Yeh im just struggling where to mount in the tent if anyones used one in theres?? might have to put a peice of wood fastened to the bars and mount it to that!. Did yours work in the winter @stu914 keep the temps right?? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Firsttimegrower123 said:

Did yours work in the winter

Don't know yet bud I had an expensive to run oil filled rad last winter, that did the trick but I shudder to think what it would cost to run with leccy prices as they are now. I'm not too concerned as the groom is well insulated and I can turn extract right down...we'll see...

• Like 1

Yeh mines majorly insulated aswel hoping that will do the job i just run leds though so they dont let off any heat at all might have to invest in another light for the winter! See how that gets on what are you running mate?? And definitely not going down the oil heater route dont think misses will be hapoy me telling her to keep the heating off in the house nut warming the plant lol

• Like 1

Might have to have a look mate! Thanks Typical all this talk about heating it up for winter and its bloody boiling for the next week got over 32c in there at min! Wtf! 

I'm in a Celotex PIR Board insulated shed and growing in a 120cm x 60cm.  I favour September- December and March - June grows.

It seems to me to be the cheapest way to grow without using an air-conditioner for the tent which would cost too much. I have to spend a little on heating with my Bar Heater in the coldest times, but it still works out cheaper than air-conditioning when it is too hot.

I'd rather grow in the temperate times of year as much as possible and avoid the hot and cold times.

• Like 1

I think thats going to be the plan moving forward @MidgeSmith as this heat is killing me right now! Ive no probs with march-june grow its as but im still a bit iffy about the nosey coppers in there helicopters when its winter its majorly insulated but just a bit squeeky bum time when you hear them fly over my sheds at top of gardem so theres no real need for heat to be in there! With you saying bar heater do you mean like a tube heater that @stu914 has?? If so where do you put it in the tent?? 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Firsttimegrower123 said:

I think thats going to be the plan moving forward @MidgeSmith as this heat is killing me right now! Ive no probs with march-june grow its as but im still a bit iffy about the nosey coppers in there helicopters when its winter its majorly insulated but just a bit squeeky bum time when you hear them fly over my sheds at top of gardem so theres no real need for heat to be in there! With you saying bar heater do you mean like a tube heater that @stu914 has?? If so where do you put it in the tent?? 

Sorry yeah, I meant a Tube heater.  I screwed the tube heater to a plank and made a back piece at right angles to that plank and screwed the two together with re-enforcing brackets.   I then covered them in the same silver IR reflective tape I used to connect the joints of the PIR board. I put it on the floor along the back of my 120cm wide (60cm deep) tent. It seems to keep the roots and tent warm enough (16C minimum) even when temperatures are down to single figures.  I was warned that they should not be allowed to get any lower than 20C at night, but we all work on compromises right? The tent stands on a 50cm polystyrene piece of insulation and has the same on top. I figure that way it will retain heat better and not leech heat to the floor so much.

With PIR board insulating your shed, you don't really have to worry about the choppers as it blocks IR, so they can't really see the heat in shed.  They can see the exhaust maybe, where it leaves the shed as that will heat the air and surrounding surfaces. It won't be the block of yellowy red highlight that it would be if it was not properly insulated though.

I live in the suburbs 2 miles from the middle of town.  We have police overhead several times each week following stolen cars and the like.  I got away with it last spring and I am going to do the same this autumn. I don't think they can see a thing. If they do, it will be a tiny speck here and there as the bulk is IR shielded by the PIR board.

Good luck @Firsttimegrower123

• Like 2