Terracotta

BilgePump

Been thinking about using terracotta pots when I switch to LED  , my reasoning behind it being I feel like they'll stay warmer especially during lights off, perhaps lessening the need for supplemental heating other than the heated floor I made a few months ago..

Anyone used or using traditional terracotta pots and if so How'd you find em? 

ATB BilgePump

:yinyang:

terracotta pots were used to keep water cool back in the day, so i’m not sure that will work dude? 

it’s all to do with  transpiration/evaporation process 

but i may we’ll be wrong lol 

• Like 2

I think it's more an insulation thing @twigs  They use terracotta pots for heating too, you burn a candle in them and it heats the terracotta type of thing. It's meant to stay warm for ages. Not tried it myself though.

• Like 2

@KC I've made terracotta space heaters with long tom pots on a couple of bricks with tea light candles , they absolutely work :yep:

@twigs I think they operate like a thermos so can do both if needed.

I think there's a valid reason to experiment here , I feel a side by side coming on! 

I've been pleasantly surprised with the cuttings I recently stuck in weeny terracotta pots, they're only under a T5 but they don't dry back half as quickly as I was expecting.

I'd like to think this would be a slightly more sustainable option over plastic pots and fabs too , which would sit well with us.

Thanks for taking the time to reply guys

ATB BilgePump

:yinyang:

• Like 3

2 hours ago, KC said:

I think it's more an insulation thing @twigs  

that’s why they used it to keep water cool and to keep the heat out you need moisture inside.. like compost that’s wet, heat on the outside will draw the moisture through the pot keeping everything cool inside

when you use it for retaining heat the heat source is on the inside? 

im thinking @BilgePump your plants age happy because the pot breaths? it lets air moisture in and out? the humidity in your environment might be a factor in that too?

give it ago for sure, i’m just thinking outloud is all :) 

terracotta is used in hot places to keep the plant roots cool no? for the same reason it was used to keep water cool/fresh 

i’d like to see the experiment! :yinyang:

Edited by twigs
side!
  • Like 2

@BilgePump I love the clay terracotta pots myself, that's why i ended up with with the plastic versions in the end.

I did a bit of research over a month ago (can't remember all now) but from what i found, the advantages far out weight the cons.

The reason i stayed away was because i'd read, that with them been porous, and able to evaporate water like a fabric pot, that this can cause leggy plants, but also i came across some stuff that said they can cause mold, and mildew, but i found this part contradictory, as other reports say the complete opposite, and been a newbie i thought maybe better not go this route yet.

The advantages i found were many tough, like above, they are porous, so allow evaporation, and air movement, so less likely to over water plants, better soil drainage, with air flow they help to prevent root rot, and soil disease, they absorb heat from it's surroundings, and the environmental aspect.

• Like 1