Phonic Trap Ducting - With or Without Spigot?

John'sMidnightGarden

Quick one before I start cutting holes in expensive plywood!

Phonic Trap ducting, 6".  Am I best to cut an 8"-ish hole and push it through (to vent through blinds / window boarded job) or can I put a spigot on the hole and attach to that?
My question I guess is will the plastic spigot negate the noise muffling properties of the ducting?  No point if it adds a woosh.  Already wrecked 55 quids of kingspan trying to wedge it into the window recess, this is doing my head in.

Been venting into the loft the whole time, trusting lap vents to help - don't think I had enough, suddenly the heat is getting back down into the bedrooms and we're sleeping in 30c, so revising my venting.

thanks all!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, John'sMidnightGarden said:

put a spigot on

I've got one on mine and it works fine...there's a long run of ducting before the exit though...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, stu914 said:

I've got one on mine and it works fine...there's a long run of ducting before the exit though...

wicked mate thanks very much, I'll do that and add a length if I need to.  Should've done this window vent from the start!

8" 6 will be to small to push through. 

I built a nice plywood box for my fan which is hung from rafters in the loft and used a 6" hole saw at each end. Then the same in the celling. This ducting turned up and would not fit through  lol 

• Like 1

Apologies for more questions, trying to not create loads of nonsense threads.

I sorted out the window boarding, seems ok so far.  Weird question but I'm getting nowhere with google - just loads of roofing company spiel...

I am sure I've dampened my attic insulation (fibreglass itchy stuff) to the point it allows roof heat to seep through it, cooking us in bed.  Now that the issue is resolved, will the insulation dry out eventually?  No vents in roof so I have a load of lap vents up there.  What I'd thought was decent gaps to the outside world seems to just be tiny gaps in the fascia boards - lesson learned.  Hoping this heat will cook it out of there if so.

Thanks!

I use phonic trap pushed the spigot thru a 8” hole in the ply then fixed it on the outside of the room rather than stuffing it thru your hole