Cannabis chocolate

Darknight420710

After reading this thread ,  i see most temper the choc ,   i have been making a fair bit of canna choc using my butter and not had to temper yet ... am i doing it wrong ?  

I place the broken up choc & cubed canna butter in a bowl , place over a pan of hot water and stir until its all combined,  remove from heat and add a flavouring oil such as mint or lemon :yep:

Pour into moulds ,  fridge them and consume :george:

The last batch of blood orange choc was outstanding ,  1 square from a 6 square block was enough to keep me happy for hours :) 

Im using Mosser Roth dark choc 

• Like 2

I’ve been making lots of chocolates and truffles recently, I’ve always used coco butter to infuse as it’s produced for making chocolates. Here’s my old thread 

I’d only use regular butter for cakes. 

ATB, 42

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, OldFord said:

am i doing it wrong ?  

Brother, you ain't doing shit wrong if it's giving you the effect you need. 

Tempering chocolate is more about making if shelf stable and "proper" in a culinary sense.  Tempering it accomplishes a couple of things.  1) it makes the chocolate's melting point higher, more resistant to melting at room temp. 2) it makes the chocolate solidify with a nice glossy sheen 3) it yields a satisfying "snap" when the chocolate is broken. 

None of this matters much at all unless you're enrolled in Pastry at Le Cordon Bleu or selling your candies with your business name and reputation printed on the box.  Presumably neither of those actions are taking place here due to the whole "illegal" aspect and then..uh...if anyone reading this was actually enrolled at Le Cordon Bleu, they'd already know how to temper chocolate. 

For the purposes of us regular people, you don't need to temper it unless you intend for it to be portable and survive life at ambient temp.  This matters a great deal in commercial chocolate what with truck and sea shipping etc.  Not so much for people making it at home to eat at home. 

Melt the stuff down, pour it into a mold, cool it and keep it cool. 

The water content present in butter, as I recall, could run the risk of breaking the chocolate ( it'll separate and get all grainy) but that's likely a moot point.  It's likely that any canna-butter made, as long as it was made in a non-sealed vessel, is actually more like clarified butter/ghee than regular ol' butter.  Cooking the butter with the weed is likely going to boil off the water content anyhow.  So that's a decent possibility of that issue being avoided by "nature of the beast" of making canna-butter. 

It would always be a valid idea ( and a tasty idea, too) to make Ganache.  You could decarb the weed and then steep the weed in the cream.  Use the plant material and the cream to make Ganache. ( or just used the infused cream, if you're weird about texture and "mouth feel.")  Refrigerate the Ganache until it solidifies and scoop it into balls.  Roll the balls in whatever you dig ( nuts, shredded coconut, cocoa powder, more weed, kief, what ever, man) and shove them in your face hole for a delicious, chocolate, smooth, creamy, brain-melting treat. Bingo Bango, a dumbed down version of a weed truffle. 

E2A:  Not to infer that you NEED a dumbed down explanation @OldFord I'm just looking out for that one brain cell you claim to have left.  I don't want it to get to burnin' up from rubbing up against itself trying to make a thought happen.  Figured I'd just outline it for you a bit there lol:rofl::skin_up: 

Edited by Cajafiesta
  • Like 2

@Cajafiesta    In that case im happy :yep:    Cheers mate ,   my finished choccy is glossy & snaps when broken and tastes very nice :) 

All washed down with a cuppa so its melting as im drinking the tea :yep:         

Im not really a sweet fan but with the small bar moulds its not a big bar , some would say a snack bar ,  im only using 2 squares max at a time so its no dramas.   

@OldFord as long as it's working for you, friend, that's what matters. 

If you're not a fan on sweets, you could always make weed gravy.  Gravy is delicious.  And you can drink that.  But, you know, I'm from the SE USA, so I think a lot of stuff like that is acceptable when common convention would look at me like I was batshit crazy.  mmmmm. gravy. 

• Like 1

Just now, Cajafiesta said:

@OldFord as long as it's working for you, friend, that's what matters. 

If you're not a fan on sweets, you could always make weed gravy.  Gravy is delicious.  And you can drink that.  But, you know, I'm from the SE USA, so I think a lot of stuff like that is acceptable when common convention would look at me like I was batshit crazy.  mmmmm. gravy. 

Gravy is a wonderful thing mate  ,  parts of the UK are gravy experts :yep:       

Im originally from Scotland ,  Glasgow to be more accurate ....and they ... deep fry  & batter  everything  !!  From Pizza to Pies, all the way through to fruit & choc bars lol           

• Like 2

Well im pleased to say I made my chocolates and ill be doing it again. 

I did it exactly like @OldForddoes and just combined the butter and cooking chocolate into a bowl over a pan of boiling water and then poured into moulds, I even chucked in some popping candy and sprinkles lol

I used 70g of butter to 120g of tescos finest dark cooking choc and it turned out better than I thought.  

• Like 3

@Darknight420710  :yep:     Showing off your culinary skills with ... popping candy :)    Why didnt i think on that !?      Sprinkles is a bit OTT for me lol   

The old single pot method , stir well and pour has been working wonders for me ,  been playing with the mix but since its been a few runs with varying jar s of bud  ...i cant seem to dial it in ,  some batches are spot on , some vicious , some just needs more.     But all have the desired effect.   

The Sicilian Lemon flavouring from Sainsbur* is really tasty  ,   the Blood Orange from M&S is awesome.       Looking for some nice Peach or Raspberry next.   

• Like 1

@OldFord I've just made some flapjack, tescock cheap pack.just add butter and syrup hmm nom nom I do like orange, lemon and bought some mint essence :george:

Edited by Darknight420710
  • Like 1

On 01/08/2022 at 4:44 PM, OldFord said:

After reading this thread ,  i see most temper the choc ,   i have been making a fair bit of canna choc using my butter and not had to temper yet ... am i doing it wrong ?  

I place the broken up choc & cubed canna butter in a bowl , place over a pan of hot water and stir until its all combined,  remove from heat and add a flavouring oil such as mint or lemon :yep:

Pour into moulds ,  fridge them and consume :george:

The last batch of blood orange choc was outstanding ,  1 square from a 6 square block was enough to keep me happy for hours :) 

Im using Mosser Roth dark choc 

I just add RSO to choc works a treat:yep::yinyang: Flapjack with avb is great if you dont mind the avb taste @Darknight420710

Edited by Personunknown
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

I use the same easy method as @Boojum. Lately I've been experimenting with runny filled chocolates by putting blobs of home made jam, lemon curd, sweet peanut butter with hash or whatever in the freezer and encasing the frozen blobs in melted weed chocolate in a silicon mould. The chocolate sets and the filling unfreezes and the resulting canna chocolates are very nice :eat:

• Like 4

• 1 year later...

Has anyone used rosin? I thought I could just melt some chocolate over boiling pan of water then mix in the rosin.

Would this work or am I missing something?

Was gonna squash some flower in the press and try some cooking.

Edited by Military Grade

As long as what ever your mixing into has enough fat or sugar (or alcohol) it will work mate :yep:  

if you’re ever unsure you could add a teaspoon of butter or coconut oil :) 

:yinyang:

• Like 1