Ammonia smelling tomato food

highgrower

I have some tomatoes food i have been using for normal veg - i opened it for the first time since the heatwave and it just floored me when i took the top off as it and stinks of ammonia.

I assume in the heat it has broken down chemically and Im guessing I should just chuck it?  but thought I would just check here in case its still ok to be used as i dont have plans to go to a diy/garden center for a while and not keen on binning a mostly full bottle.

Ok mate shake the hell out of it it might remix but I think you end up throwing but worth a shot 

There's a tomorite shortage on atm , we've not been able to get any from evergreen or decco for a couple of months now.

If you think it's salvageable use it. (Perhaps pick a tester plant to dose for a few feeds) 

I've got a bottle of maxi take root that's well lively, doesn't smell at all like liquid seaweed, Has a sulphurous eggy funk to it , seems to still work fine :yep:

:yinyang:

Just now, BilgePump said:

There's a tomorite shortage on atm , we've not been able to get any from evergreen or decco for a couple of months now

High Gas Prices Force UK Fertilizer Plant to Shut for Good

CF Industries plans to shutter its Ince factory permanently

Industries in Europe have struggled with high gas costs

CF Industries Holdings Inc. will close one of its UK fertilizer plants permanently as it struggles with high energy costs.

The company is proposing to shutdown the Ince facility as it restructures operations in Britain, it saidWednesday. The site, which hasn’t produced ammonia since September, was one of CF’s plants halted last year as soaring gas costs squeezed profitability. That prompted the government to step in to help keep some operations going.

The move to close the factory highlights the challenge that expensive gas poses to European industries. The threat to fertilizer output has also been bad newsfor the food and drink sector, because the factories produce carbon dioxide as a byproduct. That gas is used to stun pigs and chickens for slaughter, extend the shelf life of fresh food and give beer and soda their fizz.

Fertilizer output at CF’s Billingham and Ince sites has provided as much as 60% of Britain’s CO2 production. The UK government has called the gas an “essential component of the national economy.”

Gas prices have eased from a record, but are still 50% above usual for this time of year. High prices are expected to continue into winter and the risk still remains of further supply cutoffs from Russia. Prices will stay high for the next two years, according to ING Bank NV

:smokin:

not a lot is being said about that little nugget.

• Like 1

UK food supply 'vulnerable' after fertiliser factory closes permanently

Farmers warn of 'resilience issue' as soaring gas prices leave UK with just one plant producing fertilisers.

Britain's food supply is now "vulnerable" after spiralling energy bills prompted the permanent closure of one of only two major fertiliser plants, farmers have warned

lol let’s pay for the common wealth games because throwing and running is so important.. but let our only ferts company fail lol 

• Like 4

@twigs that's exactly what I'm on about bro , cheers for digging out that article gives me another angle for the excuses to disgruntled shoppers :yep:

• Like 2

Feels like it might be time to start stockpiling bespoke ferts before the great unwashed jump on them out of necessity

• Like 1

@Exhale our garden centre runs on growmore :thumsup: it's not too hot at 7-7-7 and the granular version does 10 weeks per application! 

My go to tomato feed is vitax dry organic rose feed , it's like 3 quid a kilo just scat it down and water it in , jobs a good 'un :yep: (it's nigh on identical to tomorite on the npk scale)

• Like 5

I bought 10L for 5 quid, wait until the gardening season is done in store they always reduce the bottles to 50p

I don't even get through 2 bottles a year

With the money I've saved I'll be able to buy a rottweiler to guard my vegetable garden when shit gets serious in the shops, shelves getting more sparse by the month lol

• Like 7

Morrisons are already slashing prices , you can get a kilo of miracle gro performance organic dry feed for a couple of quid , it's like ¼ of what we sell it for

• Like 2

On 30/07/2022 at 10:05 AM, Exhale said:

I bought 10L for 5 quid, wait until the gardening season is done in store they always reduce the bottles to 50p

I don't even get through 2 bottles a year

With the money I've saved I'll be able to buy a rottweiler to guard my vegetable garden when shit gets serious in the shops, shelves getting more sparse by the month lol

I use their seaweed and it's pukka stuff. Always notice a visible growth increase and greens them up no end. Had the same bottle for about 3 years. You don't even want to know how old my bottle of fishmix is. I don't grow indoor and only give the 3 or so feeds per season

On 03/08/2022 at 0:20 AM, geo1 said:

You don't even want to know how old my bottle of fishmix

Not as old as my wife?