Types of greenhouse

AcidMan303

I have a small back garden which has a high brick wall along one side which would be perfect for a lean to greenhouse.

I looked into it and apparently its a good way to grow many things as the wall helps keep things warmer for more exotic plants. Its not just weed im going to grow want to try growing fruits as well as some tropical stuff.. I have heard that the polycarbonate greenhouse is good for growing tropical plants but what about weed?? The space im using has a 12ft x 6ft soil bed which plan to set up about that size.

Any info or tips appreciated.

• Like 1

It might be better, maybe cheaper to get a carpenter to build the greenhouse .You could find large panes of glass for free on Gumtree. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Michael Luchóg said:

It might be better, maybe cheaper to get a carpenter to build the greenhouse .You could find large panes of glass for free on Gumtree. 

My neighbour is going to help me fit one he can do all that i just need to prepare the ground. Have seen a few greenhouse on gumtree free for uplifting. Do you grow in greenhouse??

Not much growing under glass now, except to root some cuts or start some seedlings but I've grown under glass and plastic. 

I'm just making a suggestion. Sure there's free glasshouses popping up,on pre-loved or similar sites 

You might like to put some insulation in the floor ,maybe a heat cable . 

• Like 3

This is my polycarb on plastic tile gravel base. works well..grown chillies, toms, cucumbers, peppers..weed. 

I recommend the sweet seeds s.a.d. auto really resistant. 

• Like 4

polytunnel is nice and easy, and lasts a long time, my current one is 5yo and looks the same as the day i put it up

• Like 3

You could go DIY and utilise Ali angle & U shape channel section with polycarb or glass in the U shapes.       Rubber gasket in the U channels to ensure water tight seal.    

Ali section is cheap & light ,  you can bolt it , rivet it  or glue it together depending on how permanent you want it.     :yep:

SikaFlex outdoor sealant is an awesome frame construction bond / sealant.    

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Degsy said:

Bit of an obvious question but is the bit where the greenhouse would go south facing ?

Yeah it gets sun from midday quite a good wee suntrap in afternoon. 

Another vote for polytunnel here. Much cheaper than a polycarbonate one, and real glass is too prone to accidental damage. You can get lean-to style of polythene/polyethylene reinforced with strong thread mesh. They're pretty tough, don't tear easily. Usually tubular steel frame, either galvanised or powder coated. £50-£100 new as opposed to £200 for a polycarbonate one.