Too soon to start LST?

latitude54

My Cream Mandy and White Widow are on day 14 of veg in the greenhouse/poly tunnel. Generally speaking they're all up to about 6 inches (except the runt of the litter that's a short arse) with a few nodes and I want to try LST to get the best out of the plants but I'm not really sure if it's too soon to start? Can anyone advise?

large_wwcm.jpglarge_ww3.jpglarge_cm4.jpg

• Like 2

i would start now, before the stem starts to harden up, might even grow those bottom 2 branches up for some extra colas

• Like 2
1 hour ago, chilled artist said:

i would start now, before the stem starts to harden up,

this^

id just get the main stem over for now, let some side branching grow, say a week, then tie all down so you have several 'tops' at the same height 

then you can leave them until start of flower, when me personally, I'd be clearing out any chaff thats well below the canopy & any stems not reaching full height, as thats just wastage

mystic

• Like 3

No never to soon the quicker ya give them the bdsm treatment   ie lst the beter if ya ask me.

Just bend the main head over the side branches will then bcome heads to.

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, mysticriver said:

this^

id just get the main stem over for now, let some side branching grow, say a week, then tie all down so you have several 'tops' at the same height 

then you can leave them until start of flower, when me personally, I'd be clearing out any chaff thats well below the canopy & any stems not reaching full height, as thats just wastage

mystic

Its just that you see alot of people ending up just chopping off the bottom 2 branches...." because they cant reach the top" with the rest of the canopy....but early LST deals with that....usually!  lol 

• Like 1

Have I done this right? 

Stole some pipe cleaners from the kids art kits. 

Edit… I’ve adjusted CM3 so the pipe cleaner is on the other side of the node. 

large.wwcm-lst.jpglarge.ww-lst.jpg

Edited by latitude54
  • Like 1

I think you secure the bottom of the stem as well to the other side of the pot as well mate, doing it for the first time myself. I just bent the main stem once and left it at that, nearly 2 weekes in flower now and it looks like its been topped .

25 minutes ago, the punter said:

I think you secure the bottom of the stem as well to the other side of the pot as well mate, doing it for the first time myself. I just bent the main stem once and left it at that, nearly 2 weekes in flower now and it looks like its been topped .

oh! Shit! 
I’ll have to fix that then. 

• Like 1

I've learnt over the past 12 months growing autos not to f@@k about with them too much and remember my poorest yield came from a plant is lst'd really early (not saying it was all down to the list, couldve been anything). Now, i tend to let mine get a little bigger / stronger, bend the main stalk then leave it alone 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, latitude54 said:

oh! Shit! 
I’ll have to fix that then. 

Dont panic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  its not essential, just dont put to much strain on them when bending them over or you may tear some of its roots. Thats why I saiid leave it a week, so there a bit stronger but anyways.

the objective is to get the top of the plant as low as possible - you dont have to do it in a one go , bend a bit, come back tomorrow and put it down again

Leave them a few days and every thing should start reaching for the sky

Edited by RUFUS HOUND
  • Like 3
2 hours ago, RUFUS HOUND said:

what size pots they in - they look on the small side

Yeah, the pots aren’t huge tbh. Not sure on the actual volume but I’d say 6-7 inch diameter? 

15 hours ago, latitude54 said:

Have I done this right? 

Stole some pipe cleaners from the kids art kits. 

Edit… I’ve adjusted CM3 so the pipe cleaner is on the other side of the node. 

large.wwcm-lst.jpglarge.ww-lst.jpg

looks alreet that - now let some side branching grow, week, 10 days 

the pots are a bit small are u going to pot up?

mystic

as a guestimate a 6 inch wide pot will be about 4 litres - the plants arent going get very "big" in them.

Different pot sizes

12L pot v 4L same grow 

• Like 2