Stem splitting before harvest day

Darknight420710

Hi all

Well I think the days here where I'm going to put my planta in darkness for 3 days. All indicas so after 71 days flower I'm sure there ready 

I've watered with ice and have 4kg more to sit on top of the coco to slowly melt over the coming days or hour in this heatwave lol

I've read the more stress you can cause the plant in its final days may help push more trichome development but the risks involved are high and could ruin your harvest, yet I can't seem to see what those risks could be as the buds already developed so im a but confused. 

Has anyone tried this method of high stress in the final days before chopping, 

Thought and any advice appreciated even if its dont bother! 

Edited by Darknight420710
  • Like 1

My opinions no ,  some like to reinvent the wheel.  I’ve never found any person proving this with side by side tests or that these ideas do anything on forums so far .some people say a dark period but I’ve not seen it done with and without it’s all a bit Bro science . Where did you read it out of interest ?

• Like 7

You do you, but I wouldn't. The 2 days of dark is IMO a load of nonsense. I'm pretty sure that in this day and age, if there were anything to it, it would have been proven by the legal countries.

I reckon you stand more chance of falling straight on your chin after the last hurdle. 

• Like 3

Done umpteen harvests and seen no evidence that those who got a few days darkness at the end came out better.

I have this one flagged as urban legend, or myth.

Edited by Inspiration101
  • Like 3

Imo 2kg of ice and 3days in the dark massively increases your chance of high humidity and rot. That’s a no from me :yep:

Also if we spend 10 weeks trying to create a perfect environment for them to fulfill their potential, I don’t see why stressing them out would be beneficial at all. 

:yinyang:

• Like 7

@Arthur Mix I read it on the RQS website and copied text below 

Splitting Stems: Should You Take A Knife To Your Cannabis Plant?

Taking a knife to your cannabis plants a few days before harvest seems pretty counterintuitive. However, many growers say stem splitting can produce bigger yields and more trichomes for tastier, more potent bud. Read on to learn more.

20 Jun 2019

By Max Sargent

Stem splitting is a very aggressive grow technique that’s generating a lot of discussion in the cannabis cultivation community. Those in favour of this technique argue that it stresses the plant in a beneficial way, forcing it to take up more nutrients and produce bigger, more potent buds. Could this be true? Keep reading to find out.

THE THEORY BEHIND STEM SPLITTING

Most grow techniques that involve stress work on the same principles; stressing a cannabis plant encourages it to take up more nutrients, which in turn results in more vegetative growth and heavier harvests.

The theory behind stem splitting is no different. However, it’s a lot more controversial than other high-stress techniques such as topping, fimming, or super cropping. After all, taking a knife to the stems of your flowering cannabis plants is pretty hardcore.

Nonetheless, many growers suggest stem splitting can produce bigger, denser buds and a higher concentration of trichomes. Trichomes actually serve to protect the cannabis plant against pests, environmental factors, and disease. Growers believe that the stress induced by splitting your plants at the end of their flowering cycle pushes them to produce more trichomes just in time for harvest.

RELATED STORY

Marijuana Pruning: Topping Vs Fimming

HOW TO SPLIT THE STEMS OF YOUR CANNABIS PLANT

To split the stems of your cannabis plant, you’ll need:

A clean, sharp knife (a Stanley blade works great) Measuring tapeRope or tape to mark the cut you’ll be making along the stemA pencil, chopstick, or skewer to separate the stem after it’s been split

1. First, start by measuring the part of your plant’s stem that you’ll be splitting. You’ll want to make a cut of around 10–20cm right beneath the lowest branches of your plant. Use some tape or rope to mark out both the top and bottom of the cut.

2. Next, take your knife and cut through the stem, starting at the highest part of the cut. Be sure to make a clean cut right through the centre of the stem.

3. Use your knife to cut down to the lower mark you made earlier. Make sure your cut is as straight as possible. Once you reach the bottom of your cut, keep the knife stuck in the stem and use a pencil/chopstick/skewer to pry open the cut, then pull out your knife.

WHEN IS THE BEST TIME FOR STEM SPLITTING?

There are many different theories on the best time to put scalpel to stem, but most growers suggest doing so in the last week of flowering. While some growers recommend splitting in the last 3 days before harvest, we recommend slightly earlier (7–10 days before harvest).

WHAT ARE THE RISKS OF STEM SPLITTING?

Splitting is a really aggressive high-stress technique, and we only recommend it to experienced growers. Also, we do not recommend stem splitting on autoflowering strains, as it can be far too intense for them.

DOES STEM SPLITTING REALLY WORK?

There’s a solid body of skilled growers who say that stem splitting can produce great results. Unfortunately, there’s not a lot of qualitative data to prove that. However, stem splitting is believed to originate from Holland, where it has been used by expert Dutch growers since the 1970s

Like i said it doesn't explain what those risks are.. 

My two cents....errr  two pence?  Shillings?  My two shiny pebbles...There we go. 

Focus your energy on doing your best to keep your environment and feeding regime as good as you can keep them.  Plants that live in ideal condition and get the correct, appropriate amount of nutrients are good plants.  

More or less, at the end of the day, plants are plants. Tomatoes, dope, roses etc. They're all doing vaguely the same thing. Dirt with some shit off the periodic table, water, light, photosynthesis. 

If there was science behind this that stood the test of time, you'd see this happening across every plant that produces a fruit/flower for profit. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, ratdog said:

just leave them alone and harvest when you want to.

stop adding excess water too lol 

lol that said.. I think the general consensus is its a load of shite lol.

I'll keep the ice for slush puppies and the dogs water bowl, I won't cut today as it's just to hot and over 30c 

Edited by Darknight420710
  • Like 4

Wonder if RQS have documented and tested what they have shared there lol prob not, when and if they do I’ll be here waiting . I’ve heard use nails no one specifies type wether galvanised , copper etc. also stick copper coins in there lol want orange tatse flush with Fanta etc.  :oldtoker: Coca-Cola terps lol 

• Like 4

Just now, Arthur Mix said:

I’ve heard use nails no one specifies type wether galvanised , copper etc.

when i was a young dope head it was copper nails in the stem, more than one was better, "poisoned" the plant apparently lol 

• Like 2