Qwiso extract oil - easiest qwiso method?

Newcouch

Good morning,

NOTE; NO SAFETY INFO IN THIS THREAD. DONE WRONG, INFO HERE CAN KILL YOU. THIS IS NOT ABOUT SAFETY - GO ELSEWHERE AND READ SAFETY FIRST eg @graywolf

So this is mainly a kind of follow up to a previous thread, but i think i have now perfected things. Qwiso is easy, but i hate the dense goo you have to scrape from the pyrex dish (not the goo, the handling obv), and i need oil anyhow.

The previous thread was fortunate to be commented on by the absolute guru himself @graywolf  so in part this thread is to examine a topic brought up then - non polar vs polar solvent.

The method is bastard simple, and is based on @graywolf 's method.

Take decarboxylated bud (or not - see later), medium grind it in a coffee grinder - use the kitchen one especially if your bud if sticky - not.

Put ground bud and isopropane in -24deg C freezer for about three hours, whatever.

Put bud in glass jar. Generously cover with isopropane. shake like shit. Graywolf says 20-40 seconds. I do 90, wotevs.

Pour into new glass container through gauze, or coffee filter, depending how pure you want it to look. i use an ordinary wire sieve - not bovvered.

Repeat. maybe repeat again, maybe not.

Now you have a murky solution of stuff incl thc and chlorophyll etc in the iso.

Calculate how strong you want your oil. I use 10g of flower and aim for about 7% oil, so i need 30ml and use MCT oil.

This is where we get into the polar - non polar debate, but i think (hope) it is a red herring. As graywolf states, you need a non polar solvent to dissolve the thc and terpenes etc. But we have done this now, and mct is - guess what - an oil, which isopropane might have been designed to dissolve.

so bung the 30ml of mct oil into the mix. voila!! Now everything is dissolved.

Put mix in strong sun - this apparently reduces the chlorophyl, or evaporate using some other SAFE method.

Now - because you have already diluted the iso with oil, you will never get to the sticky burny difficult stage - you will just evaporate to oil!!!

For me, this makes it even easier.

Improvements - coffee filter (i dont care and want to lose as little thc as poss!), and for best food safety you can de carboxylate after everything else - which gives 100% guarantee that all iso is gone.

So, this seems to work very well for me - have i got anything wrong?

other than the @ tagging function not working obv.

I am not after taste and purity - i want to take £50 bud and turn it into £240 oil is all. (20% adven flos is £50 whereas 30mL of 2% adven oil is £85)

• Like 1

Ummmm, I don't remember posting that tech.  C-3 Propane in a glass jar is asking for it to burst under pressure.  For instance, at -20C, the jar would have 11.5 psi internal pressure.  

I did do a technique using C-4 Butane in a thermos that is similar.

https://graywolfslair.com/index.php/diy-cannamed-production/9-4-extraction/9-4-12-thermos-extraction

No need to put it in the sun to get rid of chlorophyl with a non-polar extraction, because chlorophyll is highly polar due to the magnesium ion in its tail. 

You can also extract with MCT oil, though you will be limited in how saturated you can get it through extraction and it will mix at any ratios with a concentrate.

https://graywolfslair.com/index.php/diy-cannamed-production/9-4-extraction/9-4-5-vegetable-and-nut-oil-extraction

• Like 6

Hi @graywolf thatnks for replying.

that tech is this tech; https://graywolfslair.com/index.php/diy-cannamed-production/9-4-extraction/9-4-8-isopropyl-extraction/9-4-8-1-qwiso

Yes, i said nothing about safety. My iso is in a plastic bottle. all glass bottles are always open to atmosphere.

MCT extraction sounds good. Not sure i can get past the use of the word 'menstruum' thoygh. stil infantiel after all these years. do we have any idea of relative efficiencies?

17 hours ago, Newcouch said:

Hi @graywolf thatnks for replying.

that tech is this tech; https://graywolfslair.com/index.php/diy-cannamed-production/9-4-extraction/9-4-8-isopropyl-extraction/9-4-8-1-qwiso

Yes, i said nothing about safety. My iso is in a plastic bottle. all glass bottles are always open to atmosphere.

MCT extraction sounds good. Not sure i can get past the use of the word 'menstruum' thoygh. stil infantiel after all these years. do we have any idea of relative efficiencies?

That tech is for isopropyl alcohol as opposed to isopropane, so can be used in a glass jar.  

Extracting with MCT oil will get it up to maybe 30%, so larger doses are required than extracting with alcohol, where the alcohol can be subsequently reduced or removed.

oh, ffs, reading skills ftl (and writing).

posts should read iso propyl alcohol, not isopropane.

@graywolf massive apolgies for confusion.

i will  go and sit on the stoopid step.

• Like 1

On 7/19/2022 at 6:05 AM, Newcouch said:

oh, ffs, reading skills ftl (and writing).

posts should read iso propyl alcohol, not isopropane.

@graywolf massive apolgies for confusion.

i will  go and sit on the stoopid step.

I blame it on spell check...................