Accidental photo amongst the autos growing far too big

DrDeadEagle

Hi all, I tend to grow autos in my greenhouse so I don't have to look after my plants for a long grow season, but it seems I have accidentally planted a photo. "Why aren't you flowering with all the other ladies" I thought to myself a few weeks ago, checking my records now I see apparently it's a Black Skull Seeds Sherbet. I should pay attention and not end up with so many random bonus seeds when I order them.

It's still growing really fast. About two days ago I thought "Hmm you are going to hit the glass ceiling in about a week, it's only 20 cm away". Already this morning she had hit the glass ceiling.

Much as I'm in favour of real ladies pushing through glass ceilings, that's not an option here. I want to give her a chance to make it through August even though I'll be away for pretty much all of it so maybe I'll rig some slow drop irrigation. In the mean time, what's the easiest way to deal with the fact that she's too big for the greenhouse? Cut the top off? Somehow train her? She's pretty flexible so I could probably bend her to the right somehow. She's back left in photo below.

My standard problem is mould but this summer is probably better for that. I should probably not grow so dense. If anyone has any good preventative tips to avoid mould I'm all ears for that also. I water infrequently and in the morning, leave door and vent always open, not sure what else I can do.  

large.PXL_20220710_064924030_MP.jpg

• Like 3

You could give her an extreme topping and top again later if necessary to keep her compact.

She'll have developed a big root structure for her new size and will probably bounce back quick

I do a few autos on a balcony that dictates I have to keep them low to avoid detection. I normally train them low as they grow.

I've grown photos out there too and trained them down. This year I just have one photo out there and I'm going for the topping approach instead.

I topped her for four branches which I'll train out and maybe top again for eight tops if she gets too big too early.

• Like 5

Get her bent bro :yep:

A few fishing weights ( anything from 2-6oz should do it) strategically placed along the longest stems after said stems have had a gentle squeeze (at the point you want her to start bending).

I say fishing weights but anything will do provided you can tie it on , we've had lads lst plants with fuck off great big knives tied to branches here before lol

:yinyang:

• Like 5

Go half way down the photo, crush the main stem and bend the lot to 90 degrees. If it needs supporting support it. Shame to take half a plant away when there's no need

Owd

• Like 7

Yeah that's going to be pretty big by the time its finished. Get it bent over as low as possible  and train it horizontally pot to the south main tip to the north, keep it horizontal until it starts to flower/stretch. If it gets all the way from one side to the other you'll have to top it, you'll want a good foot of space on either end ro allow good airflow, would be good to get a  circulation fan in there as well later into flower.

If you need some drip irrigation have a look at Tropf Blumats, you can hook them up to a hose and they'll feed the plants on demand to their individual needs, no power required. 

• Like 3

bend her down.....as much as you can.....put some tension on the stem.

she will adjust...and evey next day....a bit more..... :)

• Like 2

Looks like a decent sized area above that bench that she could be trained around, snaked around and back again held as low to it as possible to handle inevitable stretch ? 

• Like 2

You can manhandle them to a good degree. You can even break the stems and let them topple over to a 90deg angle, if you’re feeling particularly violent. But that IS more risky than LST. They usually heal up and make a hard,dense 90deg bend. We broke a plant that was in preflower about a month ago. It didn’t give a shit. Healed up with a 90deg turn in the stem and is going about it’s business like nothing happened. 

• Like 2

Thanks a lot for all the suggestions folks! I like the fact that you all bring up a lot of different options so there seems to be no one right answer for this one and I can wing it a bit, as suits me and my laziness. Probably top it a bit as I'm not desperate for yield, and training is more work, but then again maybe fun so if I have some time maybe I'll do it. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, DrDeadEagle said:

training is more work, but then again maybe fun so if I have some time maybe I'll do it. 

I enjoy training plants out but this year I'm going for a lazier approach as I can't get about much at the moment.

One thing to consider if you do choose to keep growing her out uncut is whether the pot is big enough for the size she'll reach.

You might want to pot up before strapping her down etc.

ATB

• Like 1

Just now, Wacky Wardrobe said:

You might want to pot up before strapping her down etc.

I'm blessed with a greenhouse that has beds in it that are just the ground, essentially, which means I don't need to water as often - I get away with being very lazy indeed for my grows! I do sometimes use also use pots when I germinate more seeds than I can reasonably fit in the beds, which did also happen this year, but luckily the photo is in the bed, not a pot.

• Like 2