Upping Humidity early on

Larry Badgeley

Hi all

Now this may or not work. It could be an answer to low RH early on and not be something that's new.

I have been struggling get the RH about 30% for my week old seedlings. I have tried the usual wet towels, bowls of water etc etc. Never works. So I was thinking because I have a lot of space in the tent, maybe 3 large pots of herbs could be the answer. We eat a lot of Basil, Coriander, Thyme etc. So my thinking is buy supermarket bought pot herbs, transfer them to 7 litre pots, on top of the heat mat, thoroughly water them in and let them transpire water through their leaves to raise RH. Bit like a hot house sort of thing. We will have a supply of herbs until my plants grow and will naturally raise RH. 

I will monitor this for a couple of days and see if my thinking makes sense?

@Larry Badgeley. I think that would make sense n certainly worth a go, herbs aren't expensive from the super.  I certainly get more humid greenhouse when the plants are massive. 

Have you also thought about turning the fan n Carbon filter off for period of time? / Run it on a timer. 

I know it's not really the done thing, but In early veg there is no smell so it's only air exchange for the plant to worry about. Might keep some humidity rather then sucking it out 24/7 sorry of this was already tired. 

Edited by growinggold

@growinggold

It's on a controller on it's lowest setting. Still need to get a bit of fresh air in. I could of course turn it off or just put it on a timer for 5 mins every hour or so. I will keep a butchers on how things go. 

I have no extraction or intake on my small veg tent at so give that a go providing temps dont spiral, and as for the herb idea, its a no no from me. God only knows what you could be bringing into your room pest wise

Your humidity will soon rise as the plants get bigger 

Owd

Edited by Owderb
  • Like 6

@Owderb

Sorry if that is a bad idea to you. I only asked if this was a good idea and that is why I posted it. I never thought about pot herbs bringing in pests. I am not the most experienced grower so whilst I take on board your concern, there's no need to be an arse about it. Just helpful advice would have sufficed "God only knows" ffs

Just now, Larry Badgeley said:

Just helpful advice would have sufficed "God only knows" ffs

It's an expression, chill out lol 

I run my nursery without extraction but it's in the same room as the main tent which pulls the odour though the passive and takes care of that.

If I've got a lot of plants or cuttings on the go I have to leave the door open a bit as the transpiration just covers the tent sides in lots of moisture.

• Like 3

Seeing as they are seedlings, you could get a hair salon mister and spray them all over with pure water (to avoid blocking nozzle and plant pores with dried residues) and wetting agent to stick the water to the leaves. The hair salon mister is extremely fine mist that has a continuous spraying action. There's an inflatable bag inside that keeps the pressure up like a balloon. It's how I'm dealing with low humidity and growth seems to be continuous. Did it once or twice a day,

Edited by catweazle1
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Larry Badgeley said:

there's no need to be an arse about it.

What the fuck???????

How was I being an arse. I thought I was helping

I'm being an arse now when I say in future I won't fuckin bother

Owd

• Like 3

Seedlings I find don’t care about humidity, it just rises as they grow you’ll soon be battling to bring it back down again 

• Like 2

If there seedlings why not just use a propergator. 

I also agree though it's no a great idea to bring any type of plant, just thinking of the pests that could be in amongst them or even laying dormant in the pots can be disastrous 

Edited by Darknight420710
  • Like 1

@Owderb

Please accept my apologies man. 

I am just getting so frustrated at low humidity and how I can find a way of upping it. I will do as you suggest and remove the outside plants and turn off the extraction for now.  Thanks for your valued advice:yep:

Edited by Larry Badgeley
  • Like 6

37 minutes ago, Larry Badgeley said:

Just helpful advice would have sufficed "God only knows" ffs

Think you got the wrong end of the stick there bro.....that reads to me you could bring in any pathogen, bacteria, pest etc hence 'god only knows'

bro was just trying to stop you from hurting your girls

(edit: I see your apology :yep: but I had posted it already.....sorry....just wanted to take the heat out)

Edited by zen-ken
written at same time
  • Like 1

Bell Jar props (use clear party cups when very small).....humidity problem solved :yep:

:yinyang:

Edited by zen-ken

@Larry Badgeleywhat im not reading is you haven't tried a humidifier.. I have the same problem when in a 60x120x180 tent and no humidity. 

I bought one off Facebook sales page 2nd hand and it's brilliant. Only a little think but enough to get the humidty up withba fan blowing over the plants. 

Another option just put boiling water in saucepans if neither possible then just buy a little mini greenhouse and pop that inside your tent under your light lol it'll get pretty humid then 

• Like 1

@Darknight420710

I have looked at them but I'm in a 60 x 60 x 180 tent and was concerned at the amount of moisture being released in a small area. What is the name of yours?

• Like 1