Apes In The American Outdoors

Cajafiesta

To quote Ace Ventura--  Allllllrighty Then!

@panik was kind enough to shoot some tester beans across the pond. I'm grouping these with some Purkle1 that I just happened to have ordered a week before the testers were offered up.  So here we go. 

RGSC strains in the SE USA, outdoors, at 32Nish Lat. 

The weather here, present time, can best be described as FUCKING HOT.   We're in the longest days of the year, at the moment.   First light to last light is something like 15.5 hours, give or take 15 mins. Daytime temps are averaging the in the range of 32.2c-37.8C.   Humidity has been varying anywhere from 40%-80%, depending.  We're mostly seeing 50-70%, I'd say, on average.  

The Purkle1 were started indoors, by me.  At the time of these photos, Purkle1 is about..err...3 weeks old, or so. 

The remaining strains ( the actual testers) were started by growerbuddy.  All the strains will live their life on his property, which is about an hour away from my location.  He monitors the plants daily, I put my eyes on them at least once a week.  We have irrigation and a rudimentary pest management plan in place.  We're not Outdoor Jedis, but we've got a couple years of experience growing in this location under our belt. 

Purkle1

These seeds were purchased.  I bought the 3 pack.  Had one fail to germinate. I generally dont mess with any "tricks" for germination.  The seeds come out of the fridge, warm up, and go straight into soil to germinate.  In this instance, I don't think it was due to my hand.   2/3 came up great in a couple of days. One refused. It was allowed more time and water, in case it was just slow.   It never came up.  I'm not terribly bothered by this.  It happens, and isn't a reflection of the breeder, necessarily. 

Root-wise, these plants are what I'd consider "medium vigorous."  They made good roots in their starter pot, but not quite like I've had some others make.  They were definitely present, large, fuzzy, white roots, though.  Just not "crazy vigorous."  Absolutely acceptable, though. 

The two Purkle1 plants went into the earth 7-3-22. I believe they are right at 3 weeks old as they went into the earth. Photos attached. 

large.62c2d031ee0f3_purkle13.jpg

large.62c2d0302089f_purkle12.jpg

Super61

These were started by Growerbuddy.  Unlike Purkle1, these were started in paper towels and sown in starter pots, in the outdoors.  Purkle1 was started directly in soil, with root inoculant, in a tent under 18hours.  Growerbuddy reports very fast germination. Around 1 day for Super61  to produce a taproot on the towels. 2/3 attempted germinated.  Growerbuddy seems to think this failure to germinate is due to his hand.  One seed got a bit dry on the paper towels.  So this failure to germ could be a result of our issues and not a reflection of the breeder.  These were germinated 6-23-22, went into pots as soon as a taproot was present and went into the earth 7-3-22.

large.62c2d0e8ee949_super612.jpg

large.62c2d0e8151df_super611.jpg

Fast Lemon Cake

Growerbuddy started these in the same manner as Super61.  1/3 seeds germinated.  Growerbuddy suspects these could be an issue on his part, as well.  Although, to be fair, Growerbuddy has germinated hundreds of seeds in his growing career.  He knows what he's doing.  Has anyone else experienced failures to germinate? I've held back Qty3 from all of these test strains to germinate myself.  I'll pop them inside and see what I get when I do it with my hand.   Growerbuddy reports REALLY fast germination on the 1/3 that did germinate.  Taproots present in the wet towels in under 24 hours for this one.  So That sort of jives with Growerbuddy thinking he caused the failure to germ.  

These were started 6-23-22ish and went into the earth 7-3-22

large_FLC.jpg

Erdpurpz

1/3 germinated.  Same story on style of germination as the Super61 and FLC.  This is becoming a theme.  I'm not willing to accept that these failures to germ, at this point, are a breeder issue.  I've got more held back.  I've still got time to start some more and get them outside in the earth.  That'll probably be the plant.  Anyhow!  1/3 Erdpurpz successful germination.  Growerbuddy reports that these, also, had great, fast germination on the one that did come through.  Germinated something like 6-23-22 and placed into the earty 7-3-22.

large.urdpurpz.jpg

Not much to see beyond this, at this point.  I'll update in the weeks to come, once they start looking like dope plants. 

Thanks to Panik.  Much appreciated! 

Edited by Cajafiesta
  • Like 8

Ahhh man. Knowing you’re American and seeing the thread title I thought this was a thread about Sasquatch lol Love me a bit o’ skunk ape talk. Nevertheless good luck wi’t grow owd lad :) 

• Like 2

@mikeydoughnut it’s a reasonable jump-to-conclusions on your part. The name certainly leads one to that conclusion.

Im pretty hairy. Would it make you feel more fulfilled if I posed shirtless next to a plant? 

That’s pretty much the same thing as a Sasquatch! lol

Thanks for the well-wishes!

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

A bit of an update.

We lost both of the Super61 plants.  We have no idea what happened to them.  They were just gone one day.  We've had deer stomp seedlings below the soil surface and kill them as well as had what we think are grasshoppers eat small plants.  I suppose one of those is a viable conclusion as to what happened to the super 61s.  Regardless, they're gone.  That's a bummer, but I suppose it's a risk that is present outdoors.  

Purkle1- These are 2-3 weeks ahead of the other strains and were started with a root inoculant.  They're a little hungry in these photos and were dosed up with some liquid fish after the photos were taken.  Other than the want for some nutrients, they're doing pretty well.  They look much more vigorous than the other strains, so far.  I'm attributing that to the root inoculant.  That stuff really does seem to make a drastic difference, in my experience. So far, so good.   Looking at these photos, #3 looks like it has some shit on the leaves that wasn't noticeable in person.  I'll have to look into that.  There's something that has started munching the leaves on them, too. I think it's grasshoppers.  We hit them with neem oil mixed with permethrin...pyrethrin...one of those insecticides.  That should keep the leaf-munchers at bay for a while.

large.62e6467d49706_purkle12.jpg

large.62e646888b6f7_purkle13.jpg

Fast Lemon Cake

It's about 3 weeks behind the purkle.  It's going, but doesn't seem to be abnormally vigorous. That could be down to the want for feed.  It's not quite as green as I'd like to see.  The feeding should help with that.  FLC was also fed and sprayed at the same time that Purkle was. 

large.62e648e608c51_fastlemoncake.jpg

Erdpurpz 

The leaf munchers got to this one.  This was also fed and sprayed.  This one is a bit more sad looking than the FLC.  The feeding and spray will hopefully help it green up a bit and get rid of the leaf-murders.  We usually don't have issues with the leaves getting chomped up like this.  BUT, we also, typically, don't plant this late.  So this is telling me that there is some insect ( we think grasshoppers) that are feeding aggressively this time of year.  They don't typically impact the plants that are already nearing flower at this time of year, but they clearly DO impact the small, close-to-the-dirt plants.  So that's some new info we learned.  Or at least that's how it's going this year.  But it has been abnormally hot this year, so that may factor into the insect's cycle, too.  Anyhow, this one is sad.  Here's hoping we can turn it around. 

large.62e649ba7b91a_Erdpurpz3.jpg

• Like 3

Best of luck with the remaining girls, mate :) I often thought about growing when I lived out there, but a mile from the Missouri river in the middle of cornfields, I swear the humidity was about 1800% for 6 months of the year; the other 6 months we'd be under a foot of snow  lollol 

• Like 2

Juzt spotted this one, unfortunately I've had to pretty.kuch abandon my RGSC testers so I'll make do by following alomg with your diary. Good luck! 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Gaijin said:

Best of luck with the remaining girls, mate :) I often thought about growing when I lived out there, but a mile from the Missouri river in the middle of cornfields, I swear the humidity was about 1800% for 6 months of the year; the other 6 months we'd be under a foot of snow  lollol 

Seems like you were somewhere around the Nebraska/Iowa  border?

Around here it's the same regarding humidity.  But our seasons go something like this

Jan-feb:  kinda cold and humid.

March-April: kinda hot and humid. 

May-September: Hot as balls and humid

Oct-Nov: kinda hot ( or kinda cold, depending on the day) and humid.

Dec: Kinda cold and humid. 

So, you now, It's humid. If we get ANY snow ( and I literally mean ANY.  If it touches the ground, even if it doesn't stick) everything grinds to a halt and shuts down lol

There's a reason people settled the Southeast US so densely, though.  And it's not just the fact that, logically, it's the first solid ground they came upon after running ashore.  

Crops grow around here.  Especially crops that are suited to hot weather.  As is logical ( I'm not saying it's right or moral.  Just logical) the "cash crops" that took hold in the SE USA have roots in West Africa. West African plants like hot and humid. 

You can see the West African connection pretty easily if you look.  

Do y'all know that "Gombo" is an abbreviated word for Okra in some West African languages?  Then consider that "Gumbo" is the word for a stew from Louisiana that contains Okra. 

In the state of South Carolina, specifically in the ocean city of "charleston" rice was THE most prolific crop.  But if you go no more than 200 miles inland, rice was all but not-present.  Africans brought and cultivated the rice when they were sold into the slave trade.  That rice built the economy of the biggest city in the SE USA at the time. Rice loves hot and wet. In Charleston, SC there is a dish called "purloo." that is made of rice and meat.  This is WIDELY eaten, in decades past anyhow, by EVERYONE in the city.  Poor, rich, black, white.  EVERYONE ate purloo.  Purloo is a direct replication of a West African dish called "joloff,"   This also made it's way into Louisiana food as a dish called "jambalaya" as well as "dirty rice."

Anyhow......man.  I sorta got off track there.  I've got the 'VID ( or something similar) again.  I think it's making me nutty lol

• Like 2

Near enough the middle of Missoura lollol ahem, excuse me, I meant Missouri :D Cornfields on 3 sides and I65 running past the front of the house, Missouri River about a 10 minute walk to the east. 

Had my first dirty rice and boudin balls in a restaurant called Lemaire's Cajun Catfish cooked by a guy named, coincidentally ..... Frenchie lol I love that style of cooking. My fish fries were quite respectable after a couple of season's practice lol 

November to April can bring ice storms, snow and is generally rather definitely cold. But it's nothing to get a run of 80 degree days after two weeks below zero. You're obviously further south

Anyway, there's some weed growing somewhere in this thread :D May it long continue to do so

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

An update. 

Things are less than ideal.  

The purkle 1 ( did I get that strain name right?  apologies if not.  It's hard to remember everything.  I've got probably 20 different strains going at the moment.) that were not tester freebies are looking pretty decent.  One is a bit small, the other pretty respectable.  I attribute this to a late start in our season. Both examples are in flower.

large.purkle.jpg

large.6315f1efa29da_purkletwo.jpg

Fast Lemon Cake-  The lone example left.  I wish I had a photo from a week ago.  The pistils were vibrant pink and nearly transparent.  Very cool looking.  Some of the pistils are beginning to brown, so it may have gotten pollinated.  Growerbuddy, who lives on the property, doesn't visit daily like I would.  He may go several days without laying eyes on the plot. As a result, we've had several males pop up quickly and drop pollen.  So the pistil browning may be due to pollination, or it just may be a weirdo doing weirdo shit.  It's pretty stunted, size wise.  Likely down to handling and/or season.

large.6315f1eeac912_fastlemonpistils.jpg

Erdpurpz- the lone survivor. This one seems to be well into flower now and making good trichomes.  Another small plant, but it looks decent otherwise. I have to assume that the stunted growth on these is down to handling and time of the season.  I didn't start these seeds ( I did start the purkle examples, though) so I can't assign cause to the stunted growth.  I can say, though, that the seeds I started are doing well, so the size issue is likely down to procedure in the early life of the plant more so than the breeding or genetics. 

large.6315f1ecad510_erdpurpz.jpg

• Like 2