Soil Compaction? Biobizz Allmix

Bobcharlieeeee

Anybody here have any advise or tips or tricks to avoid soil compaction? 

On my first grow i think the soil was too compacted towards the bottom which didnt help root growth, so wanting to see if iv done anything wrong.

Starting my second grow and as an initial test im just having a play around. I have filled a fabric pot with biobizz all mix, not pressing down atall, and watered it through. let it dry a good bit for a few days and emptied it out, the soil on the bottom seemed very compact. but not sure if im just being paranoid.

Reason i have done it this way is because biobizz recommends pre wetting the soil to kick start soil activity before you plant into it. My plan was to do this when time comes to transplant, then once dried out abit, excavate a small hole then transplant into. 

OR should i transplant into fresh dry allmix straight out of the bag, then the first watering will be watering the transplant in? 

I use a regular 5l spray pump bottle to water with the spray nozzle removed

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Bobcharlieeeee said:

OR should i transplant into fresh dry allmix straight out of the bag, then the first watering will be watering the transplant in? 

:yep: 

And there's no need to add any perlite to it

Owd

• Like 3

Watering from the bottom worked best for me.  I found that the perlite worked it's way up the pot over time.

Autopots all the way for me now, current grow is loving it.

• Like 2

Add some worms? 

Thought the turd emote was a worm until I started wondering why there’s flies or something around it lol 

• Like 2

@Inspiration101 Do you water from the bottom for the entire grow period? or until the roots have rooted out the pots adequately? 

How does that work with achieving run off? Iv always been told when watering from the top to aim for 20% run off. 

I think i looked into these awhile ago, how do these work? are these the ones that keep the bottom of the soil wet at all times? 

Edited by Bobcharlieeeee

@KC good shout, il see what i can find.

Id ideally like to adapt a rose onto the end of my spray nozzle lance, i need that extra reach to reach the plants at the back,

using a watering can results in me leaning over the plants, losing my balance and then falling onto a plant, dont ask me how i worked that one out lol

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bobcharlieeeee said:

@Inspiration101 Do you water from the bottom for the entire grow period? or until the roots have rooted out the pots adequately? 

How does that work with achieving run off? Iv always been told when watering from the top to aim for 20% run off. 

I think i looked into these awhile ago, how do these work? are these the ones that keep the bottom of the soil wet at all times? 

You want to root them out before permanently feeding from the bottom.  Yes autopots keep them wet at the bottom - And you know what? Contrary to popular opinion, the plants love it.

Check my diary in the signature.

14 hours ago, Inspiration101 said:

Check my diary in the signature

FI - If your on your phone you can turn your phone sideways and then you can see signatures 

@Inspiration101 thats the thing, it goes against everything iv been told by experienced growers! they say it causes root rot.

Only thing i dont like is the 2 pots in the same tray, i have reduced head room, so i need to train outwards, two side by side may hinder this. 

TBH im sick of manually watering so an auto system sounds right up my street, something il look at next grow 

Edited by Bobcharlieeeee

@Bobcharlieeeee I shall take some photos of the roots at the end of my grow in around 5 weeks time.

I thinks there's a lot of bad info out there by people who have not done it and they just repeat the same tripe with zero evidence or experience.

Autopots come in singles by the way, in XL size if preferred.

• Like 2

On 04/07/2022 at 1:36 PM, KC said:

If you use a watering can with a fine rose on it it will stop the compost compacting. 

As KC states using a fine as rain watering can rose will help with watering. I’ve been off the site for few years can’t remember which section it’s in on here but there’s a article on watering by the old sage OT1 on watering if anyone can link it as said forgot where it’s located on the site. Wayeung with fine rose will draw oxygen in pushing built up gas out the root ball and replenishing it. My mates I watch water just fill up the pot to the top with water and let run thru followed by another. Your pull the plant out the pot water by them and then a plant that’s been watered proper fashion side by side and look at the root structure shitty brown roots compared to the nice white healthy fluffy ones down to proper watering.root zone is the heart of your plant. Think OT1 post on watering is on cannazone or something alike.

• Like 2