LED HELP.

Haze_smoker

Evening all. 

So these LEDs are looking alot more pretty atm with the cost of Lecky going up as much as it is. 

Can I have some advise please?!? 

I know nothing about them as IV always been a HID man as my space is quite cool. Temps are about 24 lights on and 21/2 lights off. 

What do I need to consider other than the cost of the unit. 

Currently run.

250 mh veg

400 hps flower

I'm in a 1mx1mx2m 

My veg tent is 75x75x170 

I'm thinking of just running the small tent as both is getting a joke with lecky. But if these LEDs are good on lecky as people make out IL just run the big tent. 

Any help always very much appreciated. 

Chur 

Haze

How many grams per what are you currently getting flowering under the 400 hps?

Lower wattage led may yeild the same but I suspect your going to need an additional hear source aswell 

Average about 350..

So if I go lower on light wattage but need a heat source kinda defeats the point no? Inless were talking of slashing the light watts by half. 

Haze

I could be wrong but I'd say a good 200w watt could come close to that. 

2x 40w heat tubes should see you through winter might not need ithem n summer so there's is a saving to be made just maybe not as much as you might first think

Doubt 200w led would cover 1m actually probably need more like 300 so energy savings gone bit probably yeild more

200w will go nice in 75x75

Edited by Eldo

41 minutes ago, Eldo said:

I could be wrong but I'd say a good 200w watt could come close to that. 

2x 40w heat tubes should see you through winter might not need ithem n summer so there's is a saving to be made just maybe not as much as you might first think

Doubt 200w led would cover 1m actually probably need more like 300 so energy savings gone bit probably yeild more

200w will go nice in 75x75

I was looking at the 300w maxibright pro thing as looked like it had an extra bar of LEDs up to the non pro version. 

Do you run them at full power? 

In the winter I run 125w tube heater and the 400w light and the 250 in the veg witch pulls some heat thru and it just gets to about 21/2 lights on so might need to think about stopping thru the winter.. 

I don't Wana fork out the 5bills for a decent led and find out I'm no better off cause I need to heat it too. 

Haze

Edited by Haze_smoker

Mate I'm no expert only on my 1st grow using led

Site sponsors do the 300w lumatek pro for £340 plus sure there's a uk420 discount code aswell

The pro just means the dimmer is on a lead so can be adjusted from outside of tent...the one with 2 bars is the 200w version

Can adjust them to 20 40 60 80 100% with non pro version not sure if pro is any different

Edited by Eldo

6 minutes ago, Haze_smoker said:

I was looking at the 300w maxibright pro thing as looked like it had an extra bar of LEDs up to the non pro version. 

Do you run them at full power? 

In the winter I run 125w tube heater and the 400w light and the 250 in the veg witch pulls some heat thru and it just gets to about 21/2 lights on so might need to think about stopping thru the winter.. 

I don't Wana fork out the 5bills for a decent led and find out I'm no better off cause I need to heat it too. 

Haze

LED does chuck out a bit of heat but it's on the top side, so you want to put a fan blowing downwards. Doesn't have to be straight down as long as air is  sloping down over the light. You should a light for around 300. Telos, Maxibright or Lumatek. LED price is about £1/watt now. 300w is more than enough. The Lumatek ATS 300 Pro will do you fine. I have the non-Pro version and it's great... just over £300 from the sponsors LEDGrowlights with this sites discount code UK420 for the Pro. You'll save a fair bit on electric once you understand how to adjust the power to suit each growth stage... you aren't running full whack all the time. My ATS is about a foot above the canopy and I'm running it at 80% - 240w- in flower.

Edited by catweazle1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, catweazle1 said:

LED does chuck out a bit of heat but it's on the top side, so you want to put a fan blowing downwards. Doesn't have to be straight down as long as air is  sloping down over the light. You should a light for around 300. Telos, Maxibright or Lumatek. LED price is about £1/watt now. 300w is more than enough. The Lumatek ATS 300 Pro will do you fine. I have the non-Pro version and it's great... just over £300 from the sponsors LEDGrowlights with this sites discount code UK420 for the Pro. You'll save a fair bit on electric once you understand how to adjust the power to suit each growth stage... you aren't running full whack all the time. My ATS is about a foot above the canopy and I'm running it at 80% - 240w- in flower.

Spot on this is the info I need thanks so much catweazel1 I think IL just bite the bullet and do it. IV just flipped my girls onto 12/12 today.. can i swap onto led or would you wait till the next lot? 

Haze

I started my plants on cmh because it was cold at the time and switched to LED when it went over 20C. No issues that I can see.  Perhaps set it to 2ft over your canopy set to 60% for a week for them to adjust. They will still be in veg for two weeks or so from flip, so they don't need 800umols levels yet. My guess is you'll be looking 16" height above canopy at the 80% setting once they've stopped stretching. Watch for fading on the top leaves to white as that tells you it's too strong... either lift the light or turn it down a notch.

Edited by catweazle1
  • Like 1