Amarillo slim

Been meaning to make a few threads documenting several ongoing projects. This should help avoid any confusion about the lines, their heritage etc.  As well as generally help people understand some basic breeding principles, which seem often misunderstood.  

First of all,  Goldlock (Warlock x Guerilla's gold #3) 

The goal here has been relatively simple, to have plants with the smell / taste and potency from the Warlock, but with the hardy and early growth of the GG3.  Some other improvements in things like bract:leaf, yield and structure being welcome additions...  The idea is to make a suitable parent plant for use in a hybrids with other lines that are being created. 

Here is the GG3 parent used, selected 2017/8... 

large_GG3.jpg

The Warlock parent used selected a year afterwards from an indoor grow, before being tested under various environments including outdoors, used in test crosses with other plants etc. She was then bought together with the GG3 which underwent similar testing during this time.  

The resulting F1s where grown under controlled conditions indoors in large numbers, with deliberate introduction of septoria and adverse conditions to weed out everything except the most resistant, strongest individuals, which where then whittled down on further criteria like night hours to initiate flower onset, visible resin, smell etc. The best few being used in the creation of F2s. 

This was a quick way of 'skipping' to F2 - where I knew the real selection would take place, that I would start finding individuals which where close to my goal.  

In the end I took seeds mostly from my favourite for the next step of selection, these needed to be planted outside, early enough in season to asses them as full size plants, and to get an accurate idea of flower initiation / finish times...  

About 35 plants where put out after doing some early culling..  I knew that many of these would lean to the Warlock side in finish times, or to the GG3 in flower quality, and so be otherwise undesirable plants to grow, but in the name of finding the right individual to further the project, I got them in to a nice spot and cared for them over the summer. With many plants getting to very healthy proportions.  

The plant which most embodied my goal, however, was the smallest out of her sisters, resembling the GG3 used in the initial cross both in stature and early flowering.  Not only this, but she had the smells and heavy resin coverage from the Warlock. Bingo...    All her sisters where either too late due to the Warlock genetics, or had more scruffy, bland scented flowers from the GG3. 

She seemed to be the prefect plant with the best of both worlds I was seeking, and so she got the name Goldilocks...  

12th September 

large.Goldilocks1.jpg

Sister plants in background showing extreme variation at F2.  Why this generation is prime for steering direction via selection, and also demonstrating one of the costs of doing proper breeding (where a small percentage of plants are even suitable for flower production in the given environment)  

Close ups

large.Goldilocks2.jpglarge.Goldilocks3.jpg

But not a fairy tale happy ending just yet.  In the beginning these had the Warlock smell I wanted, but towards second half of flowering, this lessened and the comparatively undesirable GG3 smells dominated. She also developed some mold issues in later stages of flower which forced early chop...  This is where some fine tuning and stabilising is needed... So she got taken indoors, re-vegged, and selfed. This will produce F3s with many plants showing similar characteristics to her, but importantly still with variation, so that more ideal individual(s) can be found. These can then be used in crosses, and/or further inbred towards IBL status. 

I will update in here following the progress of these F3s this year.  

Edited by Amarillo slim
  • Like 17

Very nice  ,     Dedication to the cause  :yep:          Will you be releasing this to the masses ? 

I assume this is the GL in the GLZ cross mate ?     

My GLZ's are looking nice !    Will get pics monday when i go to the spot.   

• Like 3

11 hours ago, OldFord said:

Very nice  ,     Dedication to the cause  :yep:   

Cheers 

11 hours ago, OldFord said:

Will you be releasing this to the masses ? 

Nope. Never in pure form at least, only in hybrids. Too many honour lacking people out there who would reproduce or use in hybrids, giving some false story and lineage to cover their tracks + make it look like they've actually bred something.  I put way too much into my work to see that happen and be fine with it, so things will only be made publicly available once some protection is built in through negative recessive traits, sterility etc...   

12 hours ago, OldFord said:

I assume this is the GL in the GLZ cross mate ?   

Yep, thats the Goldilocks crossed with best ZUEL from around 50 F1s.   These are serving as a 'test cross', to assess compatibility and see whats possible combining the two lines. Which I will then re-make with more refined, further inbred parents...  Depending on how they turn out and how my selections go this year, it should be one of the hybrids available for next season :guitar:   

12 hours ago, OldFord said:

Will get pics monday when i go to the spot.   

I look forward to them. Cheers 

• Like 6