what do i need to look for in cheap rosin press?

Chairman O The Bored

Hi,

I couldn't find an easy list of a couple of things to look for in a cheap rosin press, and I know cheap is a relative term, so say up to $500 (I am in the US now).

eBay throws up options from as low as $120 and clearly you can easily drop a few thou on a "proper" unit, but got to try some rosin a while ago and would like to knock a bit up, building my own is a non starter as my skills are limited at best.

Is there a PID I should be looking for? what size plates? 

Is there is a particular brand that does something half way decent at that price point? 

Chair....

Arthur Mix is the man to ask.

From what I know though, cheap rosin presses aren't the way to go. Either spend a lot of money, make one yourself or have a subpar unit.
I struggle to yield much more than 10% with my cheap press.  I'm desperate to upgrade it and will be building my own (following the instructions Arthur posted to this site) when I have a bit more time.

To be fair though, even a cheap rosin press is better than no press. Extremely convenient to be able to make an extract in just minutes.

• Like 2

I used a DabPress when I started pressing rosin, cheap and cheerful but when sat next to my Sasquash it’s obviously far lower in quality in just about every way. 
It pressed out rosin, better than hair straighteners and probably worth the money if you’re just dipping ya toe in, but don’t expect yields. 

• Like 1

@M Pamplemousse Probably almost double but there’s also not as much quality control with the DabPress, my presses came a bit foamy when flowing out, which usually means too much pressure and/or heat, something much better controlled with a quality unit. 

• Like 2

I picked up one of the cheap ones from the one of the usual online places.  

It's the type that has a lever that "cams" to lock the plates down.  It's works, but not all that well.  But that's what you get for $120.

I will say this-  I can see the benefit in one that uses a screw or hydraulic jack as the force-applying-mechanism. 

I don't know much about pressing dope, but it seems that you get a better result from the slow application of force ( and heat, by default) rather than the " full force immediately" method of the cam-clamp.  

I speculate that's because a slow application, as in a screw or hydraulic jack, warms the weed concurrent with applying force. 

The cam-clamp style just slam the plates together and the weed is smashed flat before it's heated.  I may be totally off, but it seems like this reduces yield a good deal.  Seems like slowly ( relatively speaking) warming and pressing at the same time eases the trichomes into bursting and giving up the sauce rather than just smashing it flat and then heating it. 

For whatever that's worth to you...

• Like 1

Just now, Cajafiesta said:

I will say this-  I can see the benefit in one that uses a screw or hydraulic jack as the force-applying-mechanism.

I would say go for hydraulic. I have a screw type, it's probably better than the cheaper units, but it still relies upon you being able to exert enough force.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, SkyRider said:

Arthur Mix is the man to ask.

From what I know though, cheap rosin presses aren't the way to go. Either spend a lot of money, make one yourself or have a subpar unit.
I struggle to yield much more than 10% with my cheap press.  I'm desperate to upgrade it and will be building my own (following the instructions Arthur posted to this site) when I have a bit more time.

To be fair though, even a cheap rosin press is better than no press. Extremely convenient to be able to make an extract in just minutes.

Thanks, yes, that's pretty much my thoughts.... better than no press, i am just running out of room to store my expanding grow kit pile, Chairwoman may not share that thought!

5 hours ago, Flamedodger said:

Check out graveda, not cheap, but decent :yep:

will do  :yep:

4 hours ago, PureSmkr said:

I used a DabPress when I started pressing rosin, cheap and cheerful but when sat next to my Sasquash it’s obviously far lower in quality in just about every way. 
It pressed out rosin, better than hair straighteners and probably worth the money if you’re just dipping ya toe in, but don’t expect yields. 

Once i have a man cave, sasquatch would look good in there!

54 minutes ago, Graywolf said:

Thanks for the link bud.. My building skills are pretty limited, but a hand injury (drilling a ducting hole!) has pretty much put paid to those limited adventures.... I need to find some friends with complimentary skills!

47 minutes ago, Cajafiesta said:

I picked up one of the cheap ones from the one of the usual online places.  

It's the type that has a lever that "cams" to lock the plates down.  It's works, but not all that well.  But that's what you get for $120.

I don't know much about pressing dope, but it seems that you get a better result from the slow application of force ( and heat, by default) rather than the " full force immediately" method of the cam-clamp.  

I speculate that's because a slow application, as in a screw or hydraulic jack, warms the weed concurrent with applying force. 

The cam-clamp style just slam the plates together and the weed is smashed flat before it's heated.  I may be totally off, but it seems like this reduces yield a good deal.  Seems like slowly ( relatively speaking) warming and pressing at the same time eases the trichomes into bursting and giving up the sauce rather than just smashing it flat and then heating it. 

For whatever that's worth to you...

thanks dude, nice to hear how it is working out for you...

39 minutes ago, SkyRider said:

I would say go for hydraulic. I have a screw type, it's probably better than the cheaper units, but it still relies upon you being able to exert enough force.

:yep:

Some great info there guys... need to have a bit more of a dig around then, I have some time before my next crop so can take my time a little and get more advice.

• Like 2