Air scrubbing with carbon filter / fan

resinbranch

Harvest is approaching. Plan is to mylar over the bedroom door & windows while I crack at it. That won’t contain the inevitable stench fully though, so I’m looking at buying a Phresh v2 with adequate c/filter.

The phresh v2 maxes at around 550m3, so obviously too small for extracting purposes in a bedroom that measures 3.1x4.3m - not that I’m rocking a set up that size either - but would it suffice for scrubbing the air? 

ideally I’m wanting to purchase a fan & filter that can be a backup for the setup I have, but if a larger unit & filter will do the job effectively I’ll opt for say a 8 or 10” instead - it’ll serve for smoking purposes only in that case.

security is paramount & all that….not even so much regarding the fuzz - I’m a civil disobedient under current prohibition not a criminal - but more so for the shitcunts that’ll not think twice before trying to rob the fellow common man. 

• Like 2

Not sure if it is of any use to ask, but if you are growing in a tent, would it be possible for you to dry in the tent? Whatever size fan, the smaller the space you are extracting from, the greater the chance that you will remain entirely smell free.

I grew my first grow of the decade in a propagator - a £50 secret jardin 60 x 60 x 40. Could you put a small tent in the space with the extractor and filter inside the tent and control the flow rate to dry at a reasonably slow rate while keeping the smell contained, ducting outside the tent and into the room?

Just some thoughts while you wait for a large grow head to answer the question that you actually asked.

Best of luck with the harvest :)

Edited by MidgeSmith
  • Like 3

I did something similar and was amazed at how the scrubbers scrub  - i did have negative pressure in the room already, that's whats important in my mind..

Test it with some egg mayo sandwiches:cowboy:

• Like 2

@MidgeSmith it’s funny you mention the tent in a tent idea - I’ve got a 75x75x100cm prop tent for similar purposes, although not to contain the smell (that may well help too actually).

My intended use for it is to reduce the amount of open space in proportion to the amount of flowers that’ll occupy

it - I’m only drying out maybe a 1/4 of my crop with the bulk going into the freezer to be washed onto FF hash.

You nailed it regarding my thoughts on controlling the enviro within the grow tent space to hopefully in turn maintain the dry tent consistently at 16-18c / 60%. Slow & low is the aim as you say. 

@Puffdiddy gut feeling is edging towards the 6” being adequate for the intended job of scrubbing the air - or at least being better to run it than without. 

I’m actually in the process of erecting some kind of bodge job cardboard framing around the main door to the tent, to it mylar up with an adhesive zipper & serve as a partitioned extension to the tent….I over think everything, & this is no exception haha. 

large.093BA89D-58D1-4945-B92B-91CF28F339A5.jpeg

the cupboard on the left is currently storage for garden gear, but it’s also a small

space that I plan to use for working upcoming drysift runs too - so a c/filter for scrubbing is for dual purposes, at least to scrub the air outside the door (if not inside the cupboard itself).

Anyway I’m waffling more than I intended I think….thanks for checking in with your insight lads. Have a good day :yinyang:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, resinbranch said:

dry tent consistently at 16-18c

how do you manage to get the temps into that range?

I feel your pain, as im harvesting right now, in this scorcheo temps, ive got a portable ac unit to get the temps down

which brings its own issues, as the hot air (containing smells) has to be vented out

mystic

• Like 2

Just now, mysticriver said:

how do you manage to get the temps into that range?

I feel your pain, as im harvesting right now, in this scorcheo temps, ive got a portable ac unit to get the temps down

which brings its own issues, as the hot air (containing smells) has to be vented out

mystic

Oh I haven’t even dried a crop yet mate, so it’s all theory at this stage on the tent within a tent idea - I’m yet to manage the enviro for drying so hoping it helps manage the temp.

May well have the opposite result though if it has an insulative effect….time will tell I guess. 

Rocking an ac unit is something I’d like to do & have been offered a loan of one if needs be, but it’d be a security issue if vented out the window.

If I were running one though I’d do so to lower the in-take ambient temp rather than inside the dry space itself - not sure of your setup but may be worth a try if your intake is indoors & you can safely vent the ac outwards? 

Just now, resinbranch said:

safely vent the ac outwards? 

thats questionable...

I have had to resort to burning incense in the living room and opening the kitchen/living room door - (makes the floor area bigger, somehow dilution of the available smells and increasing the volume that the ac is working, somehow to my stoned brain is a bit safer? I dunno. I do know - ive increased the volume so that the smells, good and bad, are not concentrated into a smaller volume [the kitchen] and if my theory is correct, there will be less power to the smells at the point of extraction. hopefully)

mystic