Heating and RH

Gnarkill102

So I've now setup my new tent with new lights , fans and filters etc all ready to go however I've ran it for a week now empty to get an idea of the environment, previously I was in a boiler room and obviously had no issues with heating or RH , now I'm in the loft , and RH is High when it's been raining outside 70%.

If it's sunny is really hot up there I've seen 32 oC

However at night it's dropping to 12-15oC 

So to combat this lights will be off during the day and on at night but I need suplemental heating and I'm conflicted on what to do in that regard.

I'm paranoid about fires , I have automatic extinguishers in the tent and I avoid hot lights hence LEDs.

So I need a safe option to heat a 120x60x150cm tent , obviously nothing is 100%... 

It will have 2-3 plants and space is tight to a big oil radiator is a no go , it also can't be a 2000w monstrosity as I'm limited on amperage , I have 1 double socket up there and I think it's 13A per outlet or 20A ish split between the 2 ? 

Was considering heat mats 

Tube heaters etc need some ideas.

4 minutes ago, ratdog said:

look at ducting heaters

Probably should have mentioned , silent running preferable as well , I have my family they know about it but I prefer to keep everything minimal distance basically if nobody told you , you'd never know.

I'm in a similar boat. Personally I found the tube heaters not that effective or perhaps I just needed to use a lot more of them.
I use a combination of heat mats and a smallish oil rad.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gnarkill102 said:

120x60x150cm

Sorry, it's not related to your enquiry but I am wondering about this tent. What brand and where did you buy it ? I am looking exact same size. Bought one on fleabay but sent it back due the quality and wrong photos and description (photos don't match the reality).

I am in loft too well it's a converted loft but got similar issues with temps and RH.

I have a two dehumidifiers one for winter times ( desiccant) and one for rest of seasons (compressor). Both MEACO 5 years warranty.desiccant is very quite compressor a but nosey so I I cline it a bit to find a sweet spot to keep it quiet. 

Running lights during nights (7PM - 3PM veg and 7PM - 7AM flower ). Yes it's a pita to drop temps when hot so I try to adjust my grows to the seasons . I am switching to flower next week so hot days not a big problem.

Edited by CDF20
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, CDF20 said:

Sorry, it's not related to your enquiry but I am wondering about this tent. What brand and where did you buy it ? I am looking exact same size. Bought one on fleabay but sent it back due the quality and wrong photos and description (photos don't match the reality).

I am in loft too well it's a converted loft but got similar issues with temps and RH.

I have a two dehumidifiers one for winter times ( desiccant) and one for rest of seasons (compressor). Both MEACO 5 years warranty.desiccant is very quite compressor a but nosey so I I cline it a bit to find a sweet spot to keep it quiet. 

Running lights during nights (7PM - 3PM veg and 7PM - 7AM flower ). Yes it's a pita to drop temps when hot so I try to adjust my grows to the seasons . I am switching to flower next week so hot days not a big problem.

Hi mate I saw a few online but I was in my local hydroponics shop and just asked if they had one by chance and they did , they stock a lot it's a nice wee local.

I'll check the brand next time I'm up,  the quality is quite good

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Gnarkill102 said:

Probably should have mentioned , silent running preferable as well , I have my family they know about it but I prefer to keep everything minimal distance basically if nobody told you , you'd never know.

Ducting heaters are silent. 

Are you bringing air in from downstairs? 

• Like 1

I went for a 120w tube heater on a thermostat.

Side question to the more experienced growers , I've only ran a few grows and always autos with increasing success , this is my first photoperiod grow as the strains I wanted were not available in autos.

Plus I can implement more training methods , what timescales can I flip to flower when space is limited , they can't be big I need to keep them low and bushy , was thinking early flip to flower combined with toping and scrog net but unsure of time scales is there a minimum veg period ?

On 12/06/2022 at 9:29 PM, Gnarkill102 said:

Probably should have mentioned , silent running preferable as well

you can run the inlet fan on a controller at setting 3 easily, maybe lower

Just now, Gnarkill102 said:

Plus I can implement more training methods , what timescales can I flip to flower when space is limited , they can't be big I need to keep them low and bushy , was thinking early flip to flower combined with toping and scrog net but unsure of time scales is there a minimum veg period ?

i would veg until they show preflowers. you can top and scrog them as much as you like

• Like 2

Still having problems with temp , which i thought id fixed , ive started my seeds but they have not sprouted yet. 

Ive been having issues with the tent getting to high temps when the suns out and low temps at night

Ive Reversed the light cycle to on at night off during the afternoon when its warmest and that seems to fix the extreme high temps.

However the other end of the scale , the cold nights is going a bit far , temps are dropping to 12-15oC at night , and im using various heating methods and still not helped.

Im using a 160w tube heater which is really hot and has vastly improved temps but does not seem to keep up at night this is controlled with an external thermostat with temp probe. 

Ive added a heat matt under the fabric pots too which is also run by a thermostat. 

Ive insulated the floor of the tent with insulation board and a really thick blanket under the tent, ive now also draped a thick duvet over the top of it when im not in there working. 

My next option would be to try and draw air from inside the house i suppose. cant think of anything else.

• Like 1

Crazy you're struggling with low temps this time of year, is there much insulation on the eves of the loft? That would make a big difference if not. The duvet over the tent should make a difference, is your exhaust on a speed controller?

Just now, KC said:

Crazy you're struggling with low temps this time of year, is there much insulation on the eves of the loft? That would make a big difference if not. The duvet over the tent should make a difference, is your exhaust on a speed controller?

Its a new build with the massive thick floor insulation , no eaves insulation as they have to be able to "breathe" air flows through these kinds of lofts which is my main issue with temps.

I had to floor the loft with the stilt system that lifts the floor up off the insulation so it can breathe 

However its not really been that cold outside , last night hit 5oC lol  

England bakes in 30 degrees and we are getting near 5oC at night and 17oC in the day .... one of the worst summers i can remember for a while.

And yes my exhaust is on a SMS Speed controller with temp probe , its set on 1/4 speed at the moment as no smell and need to lock the heat in , the SMScom 6.5amp temp controller

Edited by Gnarkill102

I cant go to a large heater or radiator 2-3kw at the moment as the power draw would be too large for what i have available at moment would need to run more cable.

Plus if i think its bad now , wait till near harvest time when its going to be sept-oct and there will be frost on the ceiling lol

Edited by Gnarkill102

I think most lofts are like that, they have to have a distance between the insulation to the roof. I know it changed a few years back but I had to put spacers in when I did mine which lost some valuable headroom. I bet you'd be ok with the thin board types, although they do seem quite expensive. Worth looking into anyway.

You not in the uk?