First attempt , please suggest strain for UK/Irish Climate

jimineycricket

Friends,

I would like to have a go at growing a plant or two outdoors here in Ireland. I do not expect or need massive yields. I just want to learn a bit and get a little bit of Cannabis at the end if all goes well.

I have a kind of cat enclosure that I plan to grow in. It is roofed with clear plastic sheeting and open on the sides. The plant wont be directly rained upon.

A few Questions;

Well number 1 , is it too late ? Should I already have had seedlings on the go by spring now or can I still do a grow starting now?

2. Ideally I would like to grow two plants ; A completely CBD plant with minimal if any THC and a high CBD low THC plant that is Indica dominant . So any recommends for a hardy plant that would flower quickly (an Autoflower if I am correct?), survive our cool summer and meet my criteria.

3. Is the indica / Sativa balance important ? I like the bodily relaxed aspect of cannabis so maybe I should go for an Indica heavy strain?

Your advice and thoughts are much appreciated

Edited by jimineycricket
  • Like 1

No it's not too late, as long as you get a move on. 

Personally I wouldn't recommend Autos to a beginner, they're a lot more prone to stunting and mould than photos. A photo planted now wouldn't finish much later than an auto would either. 

Not sure on CBD varieties, they're out there but I don't know of any specifically bread for outdoor growing in our climate, you might have to blaze the trail on that one. We have a couple of breeders on the boards that offer some of best outdoor seeds available, have a look at Real Gorilla Seeds and Alfemco. They both breed outdoors in the UK.  RGSC are offering some free beans in exchange for a diary at the moment :hippy:

http://www.uk420.com/boards/index.php?/forum/301-alfemco/ 

http://www.uk420.com/boards/index.php?/forum/272-real-gorilla-seeds/ 

https://www.realgorillaseeds.com/product-category/real-gorilla-seeds/ 

There's also a UK outdoor strain guide in the guerilla growing section with reviews of different strains, have a look for ideas, there might be a CBD dom variety in there somewhere.

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 4

Are you gonna run a diary mate? I’m growing outdoors for my first grow, in Ireland too. Would be nice to follow along with your progress. Our weather can definitely be unpredictable. Wouldn’t worry though, hardy strains withstand worse conditions than we’d get here. Best of luck pal. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, AnonyMice said:

Are you gonna run a diary mate? I’m growing outdoors for my first grow, in Ireland too. Would be nice to follow along with your progress. Our weather can definitely be unpredictable. Wouldn’t worry though, hardy strains withstand worse conditions than we’d get here. Best of luck pal. 

Hi Mice , I plan to run a diary , interesting to compare notes , I have a friend who grows outside with success , he plants the seed in a small pot , when it sprouts and grows a bit he transfers it outside to a hole in the ground , then collects the weed a few weeks later. Makes it sound so easy but Ill probably pay more attention to detail

• Like 2

@jimineycricket That’s my plan too mate. Have 2 outside already and another 3 going out today. They’ll be finished when the season changes and daylight hours change, bit longer than a few weeks but it depends when you plant out. Mine went out very young & all photos so far, haven’t started autos. I’ll tag you in my diary so you can follow along if you so wish. I’ve been gifted some great advice you could learn a lot from. Would be lost without the diary. Protection threads are very important for outdoor growing and definitely worth allocating some time to read as much as possible. I have so much to learn, all trial and error this first year. This place is the most valuable resource I’ve found in terms of genuine information. Stick to forums/real people for advice mate. A lot of companies tend to tell you any bullshit you wanna hear.. not all, but for a beginner I found it impossible to tell what’s real/what’s not 

Edited by AnonyMice
  • Like 1

I would recommend Monk by hybrids from hell. High CBD, very hardy and does well in the irish climate and is also an indica

• Like 3

On 6/10/2022 at 4:18 PM, AnonyMice said:

@jimineycricket That’s my plan too mate. Have 2 outside already and another 3 going out today. They’ll be finished when the season changes and daylight hours change, bit longer than a few weeks but it depends when you plant out. Mine went out very young & all photos so far, haven’t started autos. I’ll tag you in my diary so you can follow along if you so wish. I’ve been gifted some great advice you could learn a lot from. Would be lost without the diary. Protection threads are very important for outdoor growing and definitely worth allocating some time to read as much as possible. I have so much to learn, all trial and error this first year. This place is the most valuable resource I’ve found in terms of genuine information. Stick to forums/real people for advice mate. A lot of companies tend to tell you any bullshit you wanna hear.. not all, but for a beginner I found it impossible to tell what’s real/what’s not 

Hi Mouse , please do tag in your diary would love to see

• Like 1

Just now, jimineycricket said:

Hi Mouse , please do tag in your diary would love to see

I think I already have mate! 

• Like 1

@AnonyMice Are you living close to other houses/neighbours ? have you any worries about smell being sussed? I have a neigbour to one side of me and realized that the plant might smell enough that they would at least know.

• Like 1

Had a big paragraph typed out about how you can put them out young and how smell  at home doesn’t need to be a problem for GGing until I realised you’re obviously growing in your garden lol . I’m Guerilla growing mate, out in the wild. I’d say we have one the best countries in the world for discreet forest land so may aswell make the most of it. You’ll have more control over your plants at your doorstep which will be handy. As for your question I can’t really answer that as I’m in the midst of my first grow myself mate. Best waiting for some expert advice. But seeing/smelling plants in person imo smell could be an issue if you have a small garden. I’ve never seen one grown outdoors, maybe the smells not so bad idk, but seeing/smelling plants indoors without carbon filter (and the other malarkey) I know can stink an entire house out. with a small garden I’d personally only grow a few. I could imagine it gets real stinky around flowering time. One of my plots has just 2 plants but if I wanted to put the graft in it would fit all 35. Problem is it’s location. Residents and passersby would certainly smell a big crop here so it’s something I definitely worry about mate. 

Edited by AnonyMice
I’ve seen mine growing outdoors.. not seen/smelled a flowering plant outdoor yet lol
  • Like 2

@jimineycricket In my experience it varies quite a lot from strain to strain/plant to plant, and also on the weather. On a cool damp day most plants will hardly be noticeable until you get your face in them. But on a hot day I've smelled a mates single plant from 50-100 m down the road. So yeah its a bit of a gamble, but I general I find most plants I've grown outdoors to be on the less noticeable end of the spectrum. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, AnonyMice said:

Had a big paragraph typed out about how you can put them out young and how smell  at home doesn’t need to be a problem for GGing until I realised you’re obviously growing in your garden lol . I’m Guerilla growing mate, out in the wild. I’d say we have one the best countries in the world for discreet forest land so may aswell make the most of it. You’ll have more control over your plants at your doorstep which will be handy. As for your question I can’t really answer that as I’m in the midst of my first grow myself mate. Best waiting for some expert advice. But seeing/smelling plants in person imo smell could be an issue if you have a small garden. I’ve never seen one grown outdoors, maybe the smells not so bad idk, but seeing/smelling plants indoors without carbon filter (and the other malarkey) I know can stink an entire house out. with a small garden I’d personally only grow a few. I could imagine it gets real stinky around flowering time. One of my plots has just 2 plants but if I wanted to put the graft in it would fit all 35. Problem is it’s location. Residents and passersby would certainly smell a big crop here so it’s something I definitely worry about mate. 

Awesome , growing in a forest sounds like great craic , well done best of luck with it. I might just grow in the garden and if the smell is too strong transplant to a secret spot

• Like 2