Virgin Grower

Mindseed

Hi all

So first time growing anything like this and I've been reading for a few months now and well I'm still getting my head around it all.

To be honest I'm not expecting much if I get some sort of life out of them then I see that as a win 

I have 3 seeds coming which are Pink Kush CBD 30:1 Auto Feminised Seeds not in this for the THC but more the CBD due to a fair bit of pain I'm in daily and I'm sick of taking pain killers all of the time.

Now I've read that autos don't like to be moved once started off in pots and multi-purpose soil is not good for seedlings. so what soil would you suggest?

I'm looking at growing outside and looking at either 11 or 15-litre pots.

TIA

Edited by Mindseed
  • Like 2

Welcome dude, and good luck on your first grow. I'm pretty crap with Autos, but I've been doing a lot of reading to try and up my game so I'll chime in with what I know/believe. 

You are correct about autos not liking to be moved/ prone to transplant shock. I gather if you do it at just the right time you can pot them up, but to keep it simple for your first try I'd sow straight into final pots after a 24hr soak in water (agitate them from time to time so they sink), just be really careful not to over water them when they're rooting out, you literally need just dribble each day at the beginning, if they vet waterlogged it will stunt them and can have a severe impact on your end results. 

As for compost, multi purpose should be fine to use (clover is a popular choice), you could sift a bit of it to get it nice and fine and put that where the seed goes to help it push to the surface. 

If you're growing them outdoors its a good idea to put something over the top of the pots so rain doesn't waterlog them early on, and also be aware that autos tend to be quite prone to mould compared to photos so keep a keen eye om them once they're in flower. 

Also don't get caught up on CBD, THC is just as effective as a treatment for pain. What you want is what we call the entourage effect, where all the different cannabinoids, terpenes and flavonoids enhance each other to produce a more effective medicine. Everyone's body and issue is slightly different, so it's best to try as many strains as possible to find which one is most effective for you. I use pure CBD when I'm at work and it definitely helps with my back pain, but I'm always looking forward to end of my shift when I can truly blast the pain away by adding THC to the mix. Could be worth getting some THC dom seeds to try as well.

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 6

I was stunting some seedlings recently with hot soil. In the end I switched to layering the pot. The bottom 40% has a hotter mix and the top 60% is lighter.

Potting up autos isn't easy, you don't want them rooting out the pot, so if you do start in small pots, you transplant so quickly that it's just a PITA. Go straight into final pots.

Personally, I'd avoid the autos to start with. I don't care what anyone says, they aren't suited to new growers. Every mistake you make will impact your final harvest and there is no recovery. At least with photos you can make a few mistakes up to flower and have an opportunity to recover them without your end harvest being impacted.

Just now, MindSoup said:

Also don't get caught up on CBD, THC is just as effective as a treatment for pain.

Couldn't agree more than this. It's also not just about the THC, plenty of other cannabinoids/terps playing roles. Try a variety of different plants and strains to see what may suit you :) If you haven't grown before, then the chance is your experience of THC strains will be quite limited anyway.

• Like 2
36 minutes ago, SkyRider said:

Personally, I'd avoid the autos to start with. I don't care what anyone says, they aren't suited to new growers. Every mistake you make will impact your final harvest and there is no recovery. At least with photos you can make a few mistakes up to flower and have an opportunity to recover them without your end harvest being impacted.

Yeah I'd have to agree on that as well tbh, by all means give the Autos a punt, but if you're relying on getting good results I'd grab a pack of good outdoor bread photos from the likes of real gorilla seeds (site sponsor, and has a UK420 Discount codel, if you planted some of their fast versions now they wouldn't take much longer to finish than an auto but would be far more forgiving/hardy. 

• Like 3

Thanks to everyone for their input.:yep:

A couple of questions (Sorry if they are stupid)

1. I was stunting some seedlings recently with hot soil. In the end I switched to layering the pot. The bottom 40% has a hotter mix and the top 60% is lighter.

What exactly is hot soil? is it what it says the soil is too heat/hot for them?    hotter mix and lighter mix could you explain a bit more, please I did read to avoid black pots as they attract more heat. not sure if that's true or not?

2. I'd grab a pack of good outdoor bread photos from the likes of real gorilla seeds if you planted some of their fast versions now they wouldn't take much longer to finish than an auto but would be far more forgiving/hardy. 

Could you provide a link so I could just have a look, please? 

Photos meaning Photoperiod which I've read up on I got the impression that they are harder to grow than autos 

Thanks as always everyone for your help defo more food for thought and more reading :thumsup:

• Like 2
Just now, Mindseed said:

What exactly is hot soil? is it what it says the soil is too heat/hot for them?    hotter mix and lighter mix could you explain a bit more

Hot/Light (not exactly the same terms lol Guess it should be Hot/Cold or Heavy/Light, but there you go) refer to the nutrients in the soil.
So when I said I had a "hot" soil mix, I meant it was a bit too rich in nutrients for the seedlings and was causing a few issues.
A lighter mix is the opposite, where there are less nutrients in the soil.

Just now, Mindseed said:

https://www.realgorillaseeds.com/

Just now, Mindseed said:

Photos meaning Photoperiod which I've read up on I got the impression that they are harder to grow than autos 

Hmm, generally I would say that photos are easier than autos. However when I made my comment above, I did forget that you were outside. Photos are a bit trickier outside obviously because of the weather and the fact you can't just flip a switch to change the light pattern.
The main and only significant difference between autos and photos is that autos will flower at a set age, whereas photos flower when they get a set amount of light/dark. This means that autos are generally less mistake friendly. If you make a few mistakes early on then the plant will barely grow then it jumps straight into flower and you get a very small harvest. At least with photos (even outside) you get some time to get them to a decent size before the light pattern changes and they hit flower.

• Like 2

Hi mate , 3 rd season grow i find auto's ok to get started , i prefer plant magic . current grow is . tropic mx  compost ,  with  good result as for 

poting up they do get a wee bit stun''d but 3-5 days .( i pot up when about 3" tall) they come back. dont overwater  , dont get them in to much heat to start 

as @MindSoup & @SkyRider gave some good info ,  stains i am on growing paradise auto , CBDream  , F/S  20-1 CBD .are you goin to make cbd oil ?? sorry got to sign off

be back sometime . good luck  regards geogeo   

• Like 1

Hot/Light (not exactly the same terms  Guess it should be Hot/Cold or Heavy/Light, but there you go) refer to the nutrients in the soil.
So when I said I had a "hot" soil mix, I meant it was a bit too rich in nutrients for the seedlings and was causing a few issues.
A lighter mix is the opposite, where there are less nutrients in the soil.

Ha ha that makes sense (I feel like a bit of a plonker now)

What soil do you use for the 40% 60% mix?

I was thinking of some John Innes No1 Young Plant Compost for the top 60% and then using peat-free multi-purpose compost for the other 40%

• Like 2

I use mostly the same stuff, but just in different ratios - I mix my own.

Jacks Magic would be my base (though I'm looking for an alternative now).
Then I add some peat/coco in, perlite/vermiculite and a dash of worm castings.
For the top 40%, I usually leave the worm castings out and put a bit more peat/coco in.

Worm castings aren't really neccessary, just adding peat and perlite in would make a better mix than straight garden centre compost. You'll find straight garden centre soil to be quite heavy on it's own imo

• Like 1

I'd steer clear of john innes it has a habit of settling and getting really hard, peat free is the future but it can add a few issues like fungus gnats. Straight clover always gets good results when I see it being used, it's a good simple one to start off with, if you start off with too many variables it van be really hard to pinpoint where things went wrong. 

Have a look at this diary for some great tips on growing autos 

http://www.uk420.com/boards/index.php?showtopic=360517&page=1

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, Mindseed said:

https://www.realgorillaseeds.com/product-category/real-gorilla-seeds/ 

Yes photo= photo dependant

There's a lot of BS marketing in this weed game, why people say autos are easier I'll never know. The only thing that makes them simpler is not having to flip to 12/12, but thats also their main week point, if you mess something up early on you can't just veg a bit longer until they're healthy again and then flip to flower, they're also not as hardy to harsh conditions when grown outdoors despite a lot of breeders making out that they are.  

Fast versions or semi autos as they used to be called are a good middle ground for outdoor growing, essentially they're a photo dependent plant but they trigger into flower with a shorter dark period/earlier in the season. RGSC do a few FVs, you'll find they're basically the most popular breeder in the outdoor section along with Alfemco, (another breeder affiliated with the board). 

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 1

Hey man been doing autos in the garden for few years find there best started of in there final pots but I start early so can't leave them outside find that everyone said it was harder to grow autos find that not the case in my opinion just get some stander potting compost or re use native soil and ammend finding the fabric pots alot better this year will attach a photo of the size pots I use at the bottom as for breeders you might find you pink kush might not be suited to your garden or green house that's not to say they won't work never say never and all that you might want to try grab a few if the cheaper ones of rgsc don't think they do CBD autos might be wrong @panik but also sen that seed stockers do some CBD versions or 1:1 large.IMG_20220510_103111_466.jpg

large.IMG_20220510_103127_193.jpg

These are the pots I'm using for the seedstockers thunder banana auto doing well also got an acid kush from urban legends so your pink kush might be a gooden as acid kush was a jar filler for me nice potent smoke aswell large.IMG_20220531_174453_228.jpglarge.IMG_20220531_174521_826.jpglarge.IMG_20220531_174526_684.jpg

Top photo acid kush other two thunder banana good luck man :yinyang:

Pics from last week or two 

Edited by Ccs141
Y
  • Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...
On 06/06/2022 at 1:27 PM, SkyRider said:

I was stunting some seedlings recently with hot soil. In the end I switched to layering the pot. The bottom 40% has a hotter mix and the top 60% is lighter.

Potting up autos isn't easy, you don't want them rooting out the pot, so if you do start in small pots, you transplant so quickly that it's just a PITA. Go straight into final pots.

Couldn't agree more than this. It's also not just about the THC, plenty of other cannabinoids/terps playing roles. Try a variety of different plants and strains to see what may suit you :) If you haven't grown before, then the chance is your experience of THC strains will be quite limited anyway.

Can confirm.

Think I've irrepirably buggered my auto because of all mix from BioBizz. If you're doing Autos and want BioBizz use LIGHT Mix not All mix. Lesson learned.

Or make your own super soil! Probably better all rounder.

Edited by Aphala