quick drying question (EXTRACTION)

mysticriver

im going to dry my next lot in another room, as the lung is too dry/too warm

there's string strung across the kitchen ceiling

im blacking out the window. I get about 20-21c; ~50%r/h (on a cool day)

my question is about removing air from the room:

these are my options -

to have the window cracked open on the closest setting (the trickle thing where its locked slightly open) all the time, or

have the window closed and open daily as req'd to change the air

bearing in mind that as the kitchen, ill be in-and-out quite a few times throughout he day, so the air will be getting changed when the door opens (its only small)

in the rough guide to harvesting and curing, it says "moisture rich air must be removed from the drying area at all times..."

whilst elsewhere I read that "a window can be opened daily to change the air" - which I cant find right now. thats why im asking

I really need to slow it down a bit, as in the lung the stems were snapping in about a week

mystic

Is smell not an issue?

I dry in a walk in wardrobe- but there is a carbon filter creating a negative pressure.

Because it is a small space most of the time i have to use a de humidifier and/or small oil heater.

I find that if your humidity starts getting above 65 then stuff can start to go backwards... This can be used to slow down a dry if it is going to fast.

Currently have some autos which have been hanging for 3 plus weeks, they would have been overdry if i hadnt given em a couple of days over 70%. As it stands they are all good

Drying seems to be an equasion between heat, humidity and air movement.

The situation you are describing sounds like it is going get very humid (50% atm you say- but with a load of plants hanging this will change fast), with limited air movement. The temp is ok tho as long as you can get the other two factors within acceptable limits.

Add a dehumidifier and a fan and you may be ok- ideally i would wanna create a negative pressure with a filter to keep in the smell...

:yinyang:

I'm going to say something a little controversial here, but I currently dry by hanging my plants up in a wardrobe in the spare room, there is no extraction or filter and the only air movement comes from me opening the doors to check on my buds which I do daily.

The temps in that room are pretty similar to what you have in your kitchen and I have dried my buds fine usually in around 10-14 days.

I have always found that the smells are the worst for the first few days and then drop away to very little until jarred away so I try and combat this by only harvesting a few plants a week staggering my harvest over several weeks generally, and this has worked for me.

In the next couple of weeks, I will build the wine cooler dryer that farmerspalmersNT posted a guide to seems the best drying option I have seen and is very affordable and will keep the smells contained, I hope to have it built to dry my current harvest.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, green_machine said:

I have always found that the smells are the worst for the first few days and then drop away

Because you've grown accustomed to the whiff. I feel it's also a wee bit irresponsible to advise drying any crop indoors without a filter on. Just because you got away with it, some other poor sod could chance this and end up in trouble. 

• Like 3

Just now, monkeypig said:

Because you've grown accustomed to the whiff. I feel it's also a wee bit irresponsible to advise drying any crop indoors without a filter on. Just because you got away with it, some other poor sod could chance this and end up in trouble. 

I agree it would be irresponsible to advise anyone to do this, and I don't feel that is what I said, (although if that is the way it has come across, I apologise as it was not my intention.)

I shared my experience stating it would be controversial, while at the same time saying that I was planning to upgrade to a system that keeps the smell contained at no time did I say anyone should do what I'm doing.

:yinyang:

• Like 5

Just now, green_machine said:

I don't feel that is what I said,

Technically you are spot on, sorry, I should have taken the time to work it better! Always filter your air from your grows and drying - for safeties sake.

• Like 3

@mysticriver

Do you cook, make brew's and do washing up etc in the kitchen? I'd be worried your kitchen environment will be too moist. Nose blindness is a real thing. You always need a carbon filter. For me blacking out windows would just raise the suspicion of neighbours. Your situation may be different.

I hang mine in a wardrobe with a single PC fan wedged in some ducting exiting the drobe into the grow tent where the filter is.

1 hour ago, wizzzard said:

I hang mine in a wardrobe wit

my lung is too warm & too dry

at least in the kitchen I can get the r/h up from the ~40% that it would be in the lung, to, well, whatever I want

and have a couple of ° less temp

in the lung its like 24° on a cool day

ive been pondering the issue of me being in-and-out of the kitchen, and inadversly affecting the drying by having too much air exchange

but I think I can compensate by doing my kettle stuff in the living room on a tray for the time it takes a crop to dry

same with the washing of hands which is another reason I go in there a lot - do that int bathroom...

apart from that, I can see me staying out of the kitchen for the most part

and I can change the air once-a-day

im on the 1st floor, with blinds anyway that are always closed in there - the blanket would go inside the blinds

my paranoid and worried heart would go outside and check it for anything too obvious

the only other option, is what I came on here to look at just now

someone built a converted fridge unit into a drying unit with the exact temp and r/h, extraction etc

its just so important cos the drying can make or break the weed

ive been through all that and now im struggling at the last hurdle with challenging drying conditions

mystic

mystic