Do 2 way carbon filters exist?

Lankyshapeshifter

Not sure how to say this exactly but I am for the first time building a big cupboard into a grow area Instead of using a tent

The room has a 4" vent at the bottom so I can directly pump the hot air outside with my extractor fan/carbon filter no problem

The problem is it is summer soon! So I will need to use my portable air con in there

But there is only 1 vent, I can use a Y splitter to create 2 vents BUT then half of the air pumped outside will be filtered while the other half will be smelly

Please offer suggestion?

4" might not be enough for a big cupboard, what do you call big?

i would put the vent at the top as well

Edited by ratdog

Took me a moment, but I think I understand what you are asking.

The answer is yes. They are not called 2 way carbon filters though, they are called "inline" carbon filters. They have an entry and an exit. You push/pull air through one end and it scrubs it and exits the other end.
Not sure how well they would work with an AC unit pushing the air into them, but I suppose it would.

Edited by SkyRider

Just to avoid confusion:

I don't believe "inline" carbon filters work in both directions/2 way (they may, but I doubt it). What they do over a normal carbon filter is allow you to attach pipe to both ends, which is I believe what the OP is after.

You can also 'wrap' a carbon filter in a box with an outlet and it works as a 'pass through' filter. If I've understood....??

• Like 1

I think inline filters work both ways, it's just that they are designed to work one way and that way has the airflow going through the outer covering to deal with any large particles before the air gets to the actual carbon filter bit inside. It will work the other way, it's just not designed to and doing so may damage it and will certainly lessen the lifespan and efficiency of it by a lot, I'd say.

Edited by Boojum

1 hour ago, Lankyshapeshifter said:

Not sure how to say this exactly but I am for the first time building a big cupboard into a grow area Instead of using a tent

The room has a 4" vent at the bottom so I can directly pump the hot air outside with my extractor fan/carbon filter no problem

The problem is it is summer soon! So I will need to use my portable air con in there

But there is only 1 vent, I can use a Y splitter to create 2 vents BUT then half of the air pumped outside will be filtered while the other half will be smelly

Please offer suggestion?

Could you not fasten the Y splitter to the carbon filter itself and then connect the extractor and aircon to the splitter! Directing both through the filter. Or am I missing something?

2 hours ago, Lux_Interior said:

Could you not fasten the Y splitter to the carbon filter itself and then connect the extractor and aircon to the splitter! Directing both through the filter. Or am I missing something?

I think these guys hit the nail on the head with this inline filter, the problem with the Y splitter is only one half is being filtered you know, I could just put the carbon filter on the outside of the vent but it's so bait to have this on the outside of the building lol

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lux_Interior said:

I get you now and the problem is that I have normal carbon filters which do not have an entry and exit so that carbon filter just becomes a dead end 

Please upload pictures to a gallery here. 

We don't allow links to off site picture hosts sorry 

Edited by Dodgee

Just now, Lankyshapeshifter said:

I get you now and the problem is that I have normal carbon filters which do not have an entry and exit so that carbon filter just becomes a dead end 

I think I messed up with what is blowing out air & what is sucking in!

If you need to blow the extracted air through a filter. I'm wrong.

11 hours ago, Lankyshapeshifter said:

Could you use the vent at the top for extraction and turn the lower vent into an active intake. That's quite a big area for a 4" extractor. I'd go bigger 5" or 6" then use the 4" for intake. That may help with summer temps.

Edited by Dodgee

Just use the 4" to extract filtered air out. Deploy passive intakes instead. Don't over complicate odour removal. 

If I'm understanding this correctly you have a regular carbon filter that will be inside the room and the smelly air will be sucked through the filter - pretty standard setup - but you want to use an AC unit as well and this needs another outlet and you need that to be filtered by the same filter? Correct?

I have no idea as I've never used AC but at a guess I'd say you could perhaps have the AC outlet expelling into the top of the room next to the filter. I would assume that the outtake fan would be pulling a fair bit more air than what the AC expels so it should just get sucked away along the rest of the air without affecting the unit working. I could be mistaken, I'd quite like to know what others with AC experience think

Creating a 2nd outlet isn't a problem due to my duct y splitter, it's the fact the air pulled through the aircon to outside will not be passing through the filter like the air from the extractor fan will.

Now considering not using AC and prolonging the veg of my ones that are begging for flower

I have 2 mother plants & 2 lumatek attis 300w's to put in here, currently in my budbox pro

Only so much I can top and snap them, I hope I can veg a bit longer without ending up with extremely tall plants, I don't think I can control her for much longer though, my gelato #41 might finish flower in England's 35-38° + light heat = 40°+

Ah well, the clones will be ready at a much nicer time of the year :)

Unsure of how to modify the upper vent, appears to be painted over and possibly a fixed part of the wall