Thrips? What to do

Leafneck

large.IMG_20220530_210849_BURST003_compress68.jpglarge.IMG_20220530_210818_compress70.jpglarge.IMG_20220530_210711_compress91.jpglarge.IMG_20220530_210655_compress34.jpglarge.IMG_20220530_210107_compress62.jpgRunning my fave strain of runtz again but noticed a trail on a couple of leaves, took a closer look and these little f**ks are on alot, if not most my leaves. 

Only ever had a few springtails and gnats before so not sure how to tackle this one so any helps Apreciated. 

2nd week of flower and bud sites have just started forming so maybe I could lollypop the bottom half and spray the life out of them? 

Edited by Owderb
  • Like 2

Hi @Leafneck

We've all been there!

A spray of neem oil at 2 weeks and 3/4 weeks sorted mine out.

Recipe on here somewhere but neem oil, tiny bit of soap, warm water, spray all round plants and give top of soil a soak too with sprayer on fine.

Don't forget to rinse out tube with clean warm water by spraying in sink.

Do not spill pure neem oil!!!

In no expert, far from it, but it's worked for me.

Mine came from the compost I'm sure.

Bastards. 

All the best,

Fry.

• Like 2

I wouldn't be spraying my buds with neem :puke:.

Safest and cleanest method would be a very large amount of loose predator mites to over run them then a large amount of slow release sachets.

• Like 3

Just now, Giventofry said:

Mine came from the compost I'm sure.

This is the reason I made the switch a few years ago from grow-shop bought compost to making my own with mostly garden centre stuff.
Every single grow I had thrips. I could never get rid of them. They would just keep coming back, time and time again.

Switched compost and didn't see them again for a few years lol  And when they did make a reappearance, they were easily killed off again.

I didn't try everything, but did try all the usual suspects (neem, soap, pesticides etc). In the end I hit upon Spinosid and never looked back. It nukes the lil fuckers usually with just a single good spray.
I don't like spraying during flower though, which makes life hard if you run a perpetual room lol  (Just had to split some plants up for this very reason, spray some, let the others rough it out)

Are those definintely thrips in the pictures above btw? I've never really looked at them that close or even really paid them that much attention, usually I notice the damage they cause well before I would spot them. The damage stands out a mile away, but I can't really see that in any of the pictures above..? I'm sure they probably are, just thought I'd ask.

• Like 5

I’d only use predators at that point. You’ll need a fair amount.

Thankfully I have little experience with plant born pests.

Fully recommend dragonfli as a supplier. We where good friends for a period. lol

I would ideally use both thrips and spider mite sachets on each and every plant & clone used for flower etc. 

then media/gnat predators for fungus flies. 

that trio was golden tbf. Little grow would be 40-50£ a go for the three I think. 

• Like 1

@ukbudz Thanks for spelling it correctly, I've obviously had one too many smokes :P
Yep, it really is like Napalm for them. Kills them and hangs around long enough to kill off any little ones that may be hatching too.

• Like 1

I had good luck with predator mites against thrips, you could also use ivermectin that wiped an old thrip infestation out in one go and has a really short halflife so wont find its way into the finished product. I would avoid neem oil, it may be organic but tends to hang around on the plant for weeks after application.

I was hoping spray would be my best option and maybe something to apply to the stem to stop them climbing? I was going to lollypop the bottom 3rd anyway because I always do that. 

Is there a less spray that doesn't linger around for weeks I could try while I'm so early in to flower? 

The thought of getting predetors crawling around aswell as these makes makes my skin crawl :pitchfork:

I do believe they are thrips going off other threads and pictures. 

Thanks for all the replies so far 

• 4 weeks later...

Hello fella 

I have had them before I use  Crop Guard - LaminAid TH kills them also repairs damaged areas also safe for the stage your in 

Ilov bro

• 2 months later...