Using 50%+ perlite with soil to act similar to coco?

Tsoi

Yo guys, 

I recently bought some biobizz all mix and 100 liters of perlite. I realised that I probably wanna run coco but seems a bit of a waste to just have £30 worth of soil taking up space in my shed.

If I ran something like 50-75% perlite would it be similar? I assume theres only so much water soil can hold and the perlite gives aeration just like coco.

...Or should I just suck it up and buy pure buffered coco and just mix with the perlite?

Sounds like a disappointment in the making regards flowering in that scenario.  

You could put the perlite to use elsewhere, I use it in coco hempies for the bottom of the hempie bucket. 

With a compost, a 50/50 mix is used for cuttings sometimes for instance. 

So, just grab the coco bags for a coco grow.

Grow some Toms or keep mums in the biobizz? 

Edited by Budelaire
  • Like 5

44 minutes ago, Budelaire said:

Sounds like a disappointment in the making regards flowering in that scenario.  

You could put the perlite to use elsewhere, I use it in coco hempies for the bottom of the hempie bucket. 

With a compost, a 50/50 mix is used for cuttings sometimes for instance. 

So, just grab the coco bags for a coco grow.

Grow some Toms or keep mums in the biobizz? 

I guess so. Wasted £20 on worse things before I guess lol

• Like 1

No point adding perlite in all mix,it's perfect.

You can make mums and spend compo on them,that's like 10L well spent duno about the other 90 lol

I bought 5 x 50L compo in garden store for my garden about 5years ago,came home and figure it's same compo I used before but with glass,it's still in my back yard unused,just a heads up lol

• Like 2

you could mix 50% perlite with 50% peat, check out this vid for growing weed, he talks about it here and lots of other decent info, i was considering it myself but i've so many nutes and a couple of mediums on the go as is

• Like 3

Not a soil man, but the more perlite you use in soil, the less food store there is for the plants and you'll be feeding nutes sooner and more frequently. It seems to defeat the object of soil growing. I think perlite wants to be applied on a less is more basis i.e just enough for adequate drainage. 

• Like 2

Perlite has little place as long as you stay on point with regimes, whether coco or soil.

Best use I've seen for it was a mate filled his net pots in a diy bubbler set up but even then theres better stuff out there for that.

• Like 1