Out of date clonex

Darknight420710

I was about to take some cuttings and judt noticed the brand new tub of clonex I bought a few month ago actually expired on Oct 2021 and its not even opened 

It was obviously out of date when I bought it but couldn't see the date on the bottle as the guy in hydro shop just chucked it in the bag with scalpels etc. 

Would you use out of date stuff or buy a new tub? 

I also read natural honey also works as a stimulant to help roots develop, is that the standard stuff you'd buy off the shelf or does it need to be proper bee hive stuff not factory processed if that makes sense 

Edited by Darknight420710

If it's still purple it's fine and hasn't denatured.

Grey or brown needs fucking off..  

Or as alluded to above just forget about it and put it in the cupboard with the paper towels for germination , out of sight out of mind :yep:

:yinyang:

• Like 2

I only used clonex once, I've used other rooting hormones/powders too though. 

Waste of money! 

Edited by KC
Words
  • Like 1

I’m still using a pot from 2013

gives an indication of how many cuttings I take lol

Edited by Cursed
  • Like 6

As @BilgePump said if it’s purple it’s good to go, if not then bin it. 

The UK is the only place that has expiration dates on clonex, the rest of the Europe have no dates on. So long as you don’t dip directly into the pot it’ll stay good for easily 5 years and longer. 

You can root just as well without it but I have seen a fair few side by sides in clonex’s favour so it can’t hurt 

• Like 1

@HazyHashManthat's interesting to hear the UK only have sell by dates... my pot hasn't even had the plastic seal broken so I'd imagine it'll be ok to use. 

Saying that I didn't take clones in flower as I couldn't be arsed converting back to veg etc but will use it for cuttings next time around before I flip to flower 

• 1 year later...
On 02/06/2022 at 10:17 PM, HazyHashMan said:

As @BilgePump said if it’s purple it’s good to go, if not then bin it. 

The UK is the only place that has expiration dates on clonex, the rest of the Europe have no dates on. So long as you don’t dip directly into the pot it’ll stay good for easily 5 years and longer. 

You can root just as well without it but I have seen a fair few side by sides in clonex’s favour so it can’t hurt 

Not true. I live in Portugal, got my Clonex from Spain and the expiry date is on the bottle.

Arrived today and expires at the end of Feb next year. That's crap in my opinion but I've read that if it is still purple it's still good to use & the best place to store it is in the cooler.

I have a bottle that expired in Feb/21 and is still purple but I have a new bottle is I'll bin the old one.

An alternative, which works great, is Aloe Vera. Used it loads of times and everything rooted. Problem is I don't have any right now.

@Peregrine Maybe things changed then or the Spanish stock is from the uk region. But if it’s purple ur good to go. Iv had clonex last 5/6 years+ as long as I don’t contaminate the gel. If I dip directly into the pot the purple turns to a brown/green watery slug in a few months 

• Like 2
On 26/05/2022 at 5:19 PM, blackpoolbouncer said:

Or you could just not use it and see that stuff roots just as well without it.

I don't know about other plants but I agree it makes no difference at all with cannabis cuttings.

I filled a prop and used clonex on half of it yet the whole prop rooted at around the same time.

• Like 3
On 05/12/2023 at 2:46 PM, HazyHashMan said:

@Peregrine Maybe things changed then or the Spanish stock is from the uk region. But if it’s purple ur good to go. Iv had clonex last 5/6 years+ as long as I don’t contaminate the gel. If I dip directly into the pot the purple turns to a brown/green watery slug in a few months 

Oh, so that's why they advise not sticking the cutting into the bottle. Good to know :yep:

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Peregrine said:

Oh, so that's why they advise not sticking the cutting into the bottle. Good to know :yep:

Always a good practice to get into pouring s little out to use save any contamination from different plants that could occur.

• Like 1

I got some cuts that have been sitting in water since the 2nd December(7 days), is it worth giving them a dip in Clonex and putting into a root riot cube?

Edited by Military Grade

I've kept cuts for weeks on a semi shaded (warmer weather) windowsill in a glass of tap water. They root out in the glass perfectly. I change the water every week. After a few months they start to look ragged. All grew out when put into a root riot.