heating and temps

sweepy

Ive got a tent in a large loft, uninsulated. Ive got plans to insulate but right now i'm using a 2kw oil rad with an internal thermostat, used to have an inkbird but it went wonky.

It's keeping the temp at between 24 and 30 but probably costing a fortune. If I get heat mats how do i measure temps and how low can they go?

Heat mats won't really heat your tent up and more designed to keep your roots warm as you need a flat surface to sit on top. 

Just like your oil radiator you're going to need to thermo with a probe, I use root it mat and plug/probe. 

Think mine burns 35w and ive got temp set at 24c

Insulation is key when in a attic, make sure you can extract straight outside and also pull your air from inside your house which will help keep your room a stable temperature, get those things sorted ASAP, I use heat mats they work ok at keeping roots warm but in my opinion don't really warm the air of the room up 

Edited by cannaboy_420
  • Like 2

I normally turn my radiators down when I have them plugged into thermostat too just incase they over heat 

Edited by cannaboy_420

I use an oil rad set to 21 - its like a baseline heater just to keep things from getting to low. my lights and dehumidifier bring up the day time temps, could that work for you ?you could also use a HPS as  light source and heater, I've heard this is a great way to save on additional heating. Or underfloor heating? But that shits pricey to run  for sure 

If you're worried about leccy turn the stat down. 30 is very warm! 24-26 is the sweet spot and can go way lower if you're controlling root temps. Built in radiator stats are pretty useless imo, you won't get accurate control with them. Inkbirds or even regular hardwired room stats are the way to go

• Like 1

I would insulate your loft.

I grew in my loft for 15+years but have moved downstairs because of heating costs.

If growing downstairs is not an option grow enough weed in the summer to last during the winter.