Starting seeds in coco

mikeydoughnut

I always did paper towel 100% sucess until I had 3 failed cookies and cream and decided to go 4 straight into coco and boom 4 days later they were up and no messing qirh transplanting a shitty shoot

• Like 1

@Slippy One I bet it’s pure crystal clear spring water until it passes next door lol …. Mine keeps bouncing about. Was 0.6 for ages now jumps between 0.4 and 0.6.

• Like 2

i've a new ec pen on route, the last one was a cheap one and i must have dipped it too far into my solution lol only used it twice :ouch: , have a blue lab one coming now.

can i take cuts into coco direct?

• Like 4

@ratdog many years ago when I did cuttings and cloning, I had some success putting cuttings direct in to coco. juffy coco pellets also work well. 

• Like 2

Yes @ratdog , you can indeed root in straight Coco.

I've just done 6 cuts of bpb's gear exactly like that , potted into 70/30 but rooted in plain Coco :yep:

Everything was fully rooted in 12 days or less , much faster striking than straight compost I've found, comparable to rooting sponges I'd say.

:yinyang:

• Like 3

@BilgePump how do you prep the coco, i have some canna plus here and want to take some tomorrow, i figure i may as well go in feet first!

i have some 'kickstart' is that worth using, or just a low coco feed? i have intense or terra aquatica tripack

Edited by ratdog
change compost to coco, old habits!
  • Like 2

@ratdog honestly mate I don't prep it much at all , I just use very weak maxicrop to hydrate the coir before hand and any waterings are done with my universally applicable GH powder feeds at 0.8 e.c whilst plants are in coco.

I don't grow full term in coco so don't really get bogged down with the ph'ing or measuring run off because come first pot on they're in Erin multi purpose compost anyway.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, BilgePump said:

and any waterings are done with my universally applicable GH powder feeds at 0.8 e.c whilst plants are in coco.

on first sign of roots onwards ?

• Like 1

@ratdog yes mate , using pure bumkin science l I figure the maxi gets the cuttings through until they put out roots , 0.8 e.c with the GH powders I use ends up being 6g of mono calcium and 4g of hybrid feed (which is 6% Mg) in ten litres , seems to work well with my water :yep:

• Like 1

On 14/05/2022 at 7:20 PM, BilgePump said:

Yes @ratdog , you can indeed root in straight Coco.

I've just done 6 cuts of bpb's gear exactly like that , potted into 70/30 but rooted in plain Coco :yep:

Everything was fully rooted in 12 days or less , much faster striking than straight compost I've found, comparable to rooting sponges I'd say.

@BilgePump i also do cuttings straight to Coco seems to work ok for me to happy growing