Pot size

John Frum

Hi there, 

I'm growing some photoperiod (Frisian Dew) plants in both greenhouse and outdoors this season. 

I'd like some advice on the optimal final pot size for this please. 

Also, how many times would you pot up? They were germinated in coir plugs, are now in 4" pots, going for 6"next.

(An aside. Why bloody inches? Point 1, we went metric over 50 years ago. Point 2, it's a crap measurement. I have two sets of 6" pots. One lot is 1 litre, the other 1.5 litres. A big difference. 

Suffice it to say I am going to 1.5 litre pots next, rant over. 

• Like 4

How long do you have for a discussion lol

I see some people using massive pots, like 20L and others using smaller pots say 5L.

How big do you want to grow them?

Personally I finish in 5L as I only veg for 3 weeks and flower for 9. I start in coir blocks, go into 1L airpots when rooted and then into 5L pots and root out before flipping.

Growing in coco im aiming for multiple feeds a day, Id rather multiple feeds on smaller pots than less watering on larger pots, pure an simply for the food and oxygen replenishment.

Ive done 9oz plants in 5L pots so 5L defo wont limit you to small plants.

5 minutes ago, sweettooth said:

How long do you have for a discussion lol

I see some people using massive pots, like 20L and others using smaller pots say 5L.

How big do you want to grow them?

Personally I finish in 5L as I only veg for 3 weeks and flower for 9. I start in coir blocks, go into 1L airpots when rooted and then into 5L pots and root out before flipping.

Growing in coco im aiming for multiple feeds a day, Id rather multiple feeds on smaller pots than less watering on larger pots, pure an simply for the food and oxygen replenishment.

Ive done 9oz plants in 5L pots so 5L defo wont limit you to small plants.

20L massive . iv gone bonkers and have my 2 Durban Poisons in 60L ( one each)  . I will probably need a chainsaw when it comes to harvest as one of the this morning had measured 1.2m (from top of pot ) and by my estimate has 4 and half months to go . Bloody heavy to move but doable .  i want to give them a good soak before i go away for long week ends and let them survive on the water content of the compost . probably around 50L in each as i didn't fill to top  . I hope to get a plant between 3 and 4 m high for the hell of it'

PS

• Like 4

@popespliff 3m+ is totally doable in 60L , even with a lot of topping., I had a black domina X I once had to hang 8oz lead weights off the branches to get her to grow along my poly tunnel rather than up , she was every bit a 10fter and in a 55L recycling box pot :yep:

Unfortunately this was the year before I joined this place and was completely unaware you could photograph cannabis plants lollol

:yinyang:

• Like 7

I have tried nu the numerous pot sizes and have varying results ,  i normally do 15L pots for fems in the garden and can achieve good results.

Where you reside will play a factor in pot choices ,  im at 53 and as stated played with numerous pot sizes on the same cultivars on the same grow ,  i found the diff in yield between a 7.5L & 15L was almost the same ???   The smaller pot worked wonders during the later wetter stages as the pot retained less water = less risk of rot but dried out quicker in the drier warmer periods.

Yes the root mass will be restricted in smaller pots. 

Again growing methodology will play a big part ,  if your going for a huge plant then i suggest a larger pot ,  whether your gonna tie them down and keep it short with numerous heads ,  just so many variables mate.    

If it helps im doing my light dep stuff in 10L ,  my full term fems in 7.5L  ,  my autos in 10L  ,  my big girls in 15L.

Numerous pics across numerous years grows in my gallery mate to give you an idea ,  hope it helps and all the very best with the run mate :yep: 

Get a diary on the go and hope you smash it :) 

• Like 4

• 10 months later...

Morning all..

Would 25lt pots be large enough for photos,

Also would I be better off topping them, or just letting grow the way they want.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Celtic voyager said:

Morning all..

Also would I be better off topping them, or just letting grow the way they want.

Loads of info on here my man. Have a read. The more info you give, the more help you will get…

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, The audio breathing machine said:

Loads of info on here my man. Have a read. The more info you give, the more help you will get…

My plan is to run 3 photos this year with some autos..

Start the photos off in 1lt pots, then to 5lt pot, and finish in 25lt..

I'm not looking for overly big plants, something that won't stick out to much. 

They'll be all kush strains.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Celtic voyager said:

Morning all..

In the garden a 15ltr pot will be fine ,  wont get huge but still a good sized plant :yep:     Im normally  7 1/2  to 10ltrs  - check my gallery for size of plants 

Topping a few times will spred the heads and let you spread the gamble with the bot :george:    May also keep them down a tad.     

Try a few differing methods and see what you prefer , stick your finding up on here for others mate.   All the best 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, OldFord said:

In the garden a 15ltr pot will be fine ,  wont get huge but still a good sized plant :yep:     Im normally  7 1/2  to 10ltrs  - check my gallery for size of plants 

Topping a few times will spred the heads and let you spread the gamble with the bot :george:    May also keep them down a tad.     

Try a few differing methods and see what you prefer , stick your finding up on here for others mate.   All the best 

Thanks oldford 

If i use 15lt pots, could I just go to final pot with them like autos, instead of potting up.

• Like 2

Just now, Celtic voyager said:

Thanks oldford 

If i use 15lt pots, could I just go to final pot with them like autos, instead of potting up.

I see lots of conflicting info on the potting up ,  indoors i think it matters more , outdoors as the growth is slower i have seen no side effects of final pot from seedling , even germination in finals.   I have used numerous methods and not seen any real diff in end result and not experienced stunting.   

I will say if your in the garden and your able to then i suggest lifting the pots off the deck either from the startt or the finals weeks to afford excess water to dispel and let air get down there , helps reduce the risk :yep:     Not had any rot dramas since doing this and that includes Barneys seeds lol        I just use a few bricks & home made pot stands.  

Others may suggest potting up ,  again try differing methods and see for yourself , all part of nailing your own methodologies down :yep:

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, OldFord said:

I see lots of conflicting info on the potting up ,  indoors i think it matters more , outdoors as the growth is slower i have seen no side effects of final pot from seedling , even germination in finals.   I have used numerous methods and not seen any real diff in end result and not experienced stunting.   

I will say if your in the garden and your able to then i suggest lifting the pots off the deck either from the startt or the finals weeks to afford excess water to dispel and let air get down there , helps reduce the risk :yep:     Not had any rot dramas since doing this and that includes Barneys seeds lol        I just use a few bricks & home made pot stands.  

Others may suggest potting up ,  again try differing methods and see for yourself , all part of nailing your own methodologies down :yep:

Thanks for this oldford 

I really the idea of the 15lt pots, more manageable.

I'll probably start them off in 1lt pots, possibly go to 3lts maybe, them the 15lt.

• Like 1

I used 15lt and 22lt fabric pots for my garden autos last year and there wasnt much difference between them. This year ill stick with 15lt  :yes:

Edited by CustardVape
mind changed
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, CustardVape said:

I used 15lt and 22lt fabric pots for my garden autos last year and there wasnt much difference between them. This year ill stick with 15lt  :yes:

I use 12lt buckets, drilled out, with 3lts of perlite added. They did well for me.

• Like 2