Carbon Gold BioChar Best soil for seedlings ?

cheesehunter

I would like to know if any of the members are using Carbon gold products in particular their seedling soil . 

It's sounds excellent on paper and has everything I would normally add . 

Sounds like the best soil available for seedlings .

I would really appreciate any feedback on their products . 

Thank you 

These days I mix my own compost, but I have never been into the whole buy a separate seedling soil, it has always just seemed like a waste to me. I germ and grow my plants in the same organic mix and there is plenty of commercial compost that will allow you to do this.

Clover and tropic batmix both spring to mind as being fine for seedlings and plants and can be amended with biochar if you like.

• Like 2

I've never bought special soil for seedlings either because I used to use light mix as my base and I would add my amendments to that . So I would add about 20 % worm castings to light mix for my seedlings .

This time I will be using Guanokalong complete soil for the first time. I assumed It would be too hot for most seedlings .

Also thought using Carbon gold seedling soil and compost was the best way to use use bio char for the first time . 

I was going to add about 10 % of Carbon gold compost  to the guanokalong soil .

Or may be the bio char pellets .

I used tropic mix to pop 4 seeds directly in it, i just wet the tropic mix and put the seeds in it, all 4 came up 

If you are worried the guanokalong is going to be too hot I would recommend you just cut it with some coco coir, a lot of people on here, myself included use a compost/coco mix and get great results.

The addition of the coir really helps with root development.

My mix is 50% peat, 40 % coir and 10% EWC and then my amendments, I know some people favour a 60/40 ix with compost and coir.

If I ever mix up a batch that is too hot I just dilute 1:1 with coir for seedlings.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, green_machine said:

If you are worried the guanokalong is going to be too hot I would recommend you just cut it with some coco coir, a lot of people on here, myself included use a compost/coco mix and get great results.

The addition of the coir really helps with root development.

My mix is 50% peat, 40 % coir and 10% EWC and then my amendments, I know some people favour a 60/40 ix with compost and coir.

If I ever mix up a batch that is too hot I just dilute 1:1 with coir for seedlings.

That's a good idea , I'm already planning on using coco anyways . A friend mine uses 10 % but I was going to add atleast 20 % for my main mix .

He uses ecothrive coco lite 70/30 , it's 30% perlite and 1% charge .

Definitely will be using using some bio char this time . Just not sure how I'm gonna go about it . 

This seedling mix and compost that they sell sounded like the safest way to to start using  biochar .