Bit of a flood and drain syste

Baron von greenback

I going to set up a bit of a flood and drain system in my veg tent would this work i have 2 1m by 1m trays i was going to put a 100 maxi jet pump in bucket run a bit of 16mm pipe from that to a t connector then run 2 bits of pipe one to each tray and just let the water come out long enough to have say an inch of water in bottom of tray for plants to soak up plants will be in net pots will work and do the job cheers guys @stu914 what do you think mate

Edited by Baron von greenback
  • Like 1

You'll need somewhere for the nute solution to drain back into after flooding the trays, can't leave the plants sitting in it.

I suggest a decent sized tote with the trays on top, heat the solution to 20c.

Water by hand from the top until roots appear from the mesh pots and the trays will need a cover to prevent light reaching them.

Consider a top fed automated system, something similar to this...you've already got most of the equipment...:yep:

large.SSCN1032.JPGlarge.SSCN1027.JPGlarge.SSCN1080.JPGlarge.SSCN0973.JPGlarge.SSCN1593.JPG

Tag me if I can help bro...:yep:

• Like 3

If you only intend to use a single pump (flood) & gravity return (drain), a bucket is a poor choice as a nuit tank as they are far from the ideal shape. The flood trays need to be above the res so gravity can return the solution to the res post flood. The tank therefore tends to be low & wide with the buckets/trays/table etc sat on top. 

As your intended use is in veg then the loss of usable height within the tent may be acceptable. 

If you're only planning on an inch of nuits with each flood are you planning on holding this depth for a set time to allow your plants to bottom feed through the net pots? The depth can be managed by pump timer/stop valve balance on each pump supply/return pipe & an additional overflow from each tray back to tank. 

Keep in mind fill/mix access to the tank when the trays are on top of it & keeping light out of it. 

Will there be a grow medium in the net pots? Have you considered a deep F&D, can use the cycle to draw fresh O2 over the roots & minimise any top watering prior to adequate root growth.