RSO OIL using ETHYL Alcohol

whoknows

I'm another one who will give greywolf another +1 I have learned so much from him over the years as I worked on improving my extraction technique.

I'm happy to share how I make my extracts, this is sort of the bare-bones outline.

To get the most flavourful extracts I generally prefer working with fresh frozen plant material but it can be carried out with dry material and trim as well. I like to carry out all my extractions as cold as possible so I work on dry ice this makes sure all the water within the plant material stays frozen and stops the extraction of chlorophyll.

I'm still using a glass cafeteria for the actual extraction, frozen plant matter is placed in here and then covered with EtOH (I work in a lab so I generally use lab grade ethanol) this is allowed to soak with stirring for around 5 mins, EtOH works slightly slower than ISO for extractions so you can get away with much longer soaks especially if you are working on dry ice. After the soak I use the plunger on the cafeteria and then pour the solvent into a new container, just to make sure I stop extracting (I want nice honey coloured oils, not green!) the solvent is then filtered through Watman #1 filter paper to remove the fine trichrome heads. I occasionally go a step further and will pass the filtered solvent through a 2um syringe filter but this is generally not needed.

Now it is just a question of evaporating off the EtOH, I generally evaporate the first section using just a fan, again, I don't want to introduce heat that will destroy any terpenes in the extract. Once the majority of the EtOH has been evaporated off it will get moved from the glass container onto parchment paper and then the final purge is done in a vacuum over.

Just a note, I try and get a complete purge of the EtOH these days which is why I use a vacuum oven, however, Etoh will evaporate completely outside at room temp it will just take a long time, this is also one of the reasons I like working with EtOH if I don't get a complete purge I am not that worried as it is relatively safe to ingest.

Let me know if you need me to clarify anything.

greenie / 3FF

E2A  Yeah I use a dab rig (quartz banger, terp pearls, carb cap and bong) to get the most from my extracts.

Edited by green_machine
added some info
  • Like 5

I made a thread many moons ago about how I make RSO the link is in my sig.

ISO is fine as long as you purge it properly, using Ethyl is the belt and braces approach you'll still want to completely purge the oil but just in case you don't completely purge it all it won't do any harm. The biggest difference between the two is the cost if you're planning on using Ethyl you'll definitely want a mechanism for reclaiming the solvent unless you have very very deep pockets.

Good luck with making your meds I hope they bring relief and healing :yep:

• Like 4
4 hours ago, green_machine said:

I'm another one who will give greywolf another +1 I have learned so much from him over the years as I worked on improving my extraction technique.

I'm happy to share how I make my extracts, this is sort of the bare-bones outline.

To get the most flavourful extracts I generally prefer working with fresh frozen plant material but it can be carried out with dry material and trim as well. I like to carry out all my extractions as cold as possible so I work on dry ice this makes sure all the water within the plant material stays frozen and stops the extraction of chlorophyll.

I'm still using a glass cafeteria for the actual extraction, frozen plant matter is placed in here and then covered with EtOH (I work in a lab so I generally use lab grade ethanol) this is allowed to soak with stirring for around 5 mins, EtOH works slightly slower than ISO for extractions so you can get away with much longer soaks especially if you are working on dry ice. After the soak I use the plunger on the cafeteria and then pour the solvent into a new container, just to make sure I stop extracting (I want nice honey coloured oils, not green!) the solvent is then filtered through Watman #1 filter paper to remove the fine trichrome heads. I occasionally go a step further and will pass the filtered solvent through a 2um syringe filter but this is generally not needed.

Now it is just a question of evaporating off the EtOH, I generally evaporate the first section using just a fan, again, I don't want to introduce heat that will destroy any terpenes in the extract. Once the majority of the EtOH has been evaporated off it will get moved from the glass container onto parchment paper and then the final purge is done in a vacuum over.

Just a note, I try and get a complete purge of the EtOH these days which is why I use a vacuum oven, however, Etoh will evaporate completely outside at room temp it will just take a long time, this is also one of the reasons I like working with EtOH if I don't get a complete purge I am not that worried as it is relatively safe to ingest.

Let me know if you need me to clarify anything.

greenie / 3FF

E2A  Yeah I use a dab rig (quartz banger, terp pearls, carb cap and bong) to get the most from my extracts.

Thanks this is very clear and useful.

23 hours ago, Budelaire said:

Amazing resource @Graywolf I have shared it with a friend who will appreciate that very very much.  Thank you. 

Ya'll are welcome!  Thanks for the good thoughts and bon appetite!

• Like 4