Do I need an ‘irrigation’ timer?

mikeydoughnut

Are these really necessary? Digital timers do 1 minute increments. If my plants needed watering for say 45 seconds or 1 minute 25 seconds I could adjust flow using taps in the set up. One main one after the res n that then a 4mm one at each pot. Would that do? 

Personally I don't trust digital irrigation timers.

I much prefer the analogue examples with two dials for run time and frequency alas they don't allow for quite the level of fine tuning though.

Whether you need one depends entirely on the system yer running and/or personal preference, take autopots for example... Traditionally these are self regulating systems that don't use timers but imho are vastly improved by the addition of one ( allows for actual wet dry cycles) 

:yinyang:

• Like 1

I have always been a big proponent of the irrigation timer, but I've recently been testing out of a "smart" extension lead, where I can program each socket from my phone over the wifi. A little bother for precision as you can't time down to the second, only in 1 minute increments, but I can live with that for £30. So far, it has made the irrigation timers completely redundant for me - a thing of the past.

Edited by GSZZ
  • Like 7

Cheers @BilgePump it’s basically gonna be a ‘drip ring’ type thing. My first attempt will just be a ring with some open ended tees and ‘taps’ to allow for adjustment. Only small pots hence the need for automating as I’ll only be awake for half the lights on time. I’m set on hunting through seeds. I don’t need big whopping plants. I just want to find THE plant :) 

That’s good to hear @GSZZ :) might take a punt and just try tinkering before going for it. It’s only 50 quid for the irrigation one but if I can get a timer to do the job for a fraction of the price I can crack on. Just funds holding my plans back a bit. I’ve been wanting to crack on so I’m getting a little impatient.

Edited by mikeydoughnut

• 2 weeks later...

I may be mistaken but aren't irrigation timers for mains water not electric pumps?

I use a normal digital timer on my diy drip system. Can be controlled down to the second but I mostly set it by the minute. Never had an issue with it.